"Best" Cell Phone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPDX

Reaction score
Hello all, seems like there is a consensus that Verizon network may be the best for being out and about in the West.  Wondering if there is any consensus on Apple OS vs Android?  And if Android, a great phone known with reliable features that the Boondocking tribe require: reception, battery length, ruggedness etc.?  Or just a darn good phone overall.  And a good value would help!  Doesn't have to be dirt cheap but I don't need a Cadillac.  I'll be a mix of urban and remote.  And I'm about as plugged-in as any typical drone is these days.  Communication with friends and family, while not necessary daily is a prime need.

Thanks as always for any thoughts.

Regards, jj

I've been very happy with my Google Nexus 5 for 3yrs... immediate Android updates cause it's Google and never had a problem. You can get refurbs cheap, and still can get new ones I think. But not the Nexus 6, it's not a good deal...

I'm an android guy but I think it really doesn't matter that much with the phones. If you are already bought into the Apple ecosystem (mac laptop, iPad, etc) you'll probably want to stay with it.

If you don't have a previous investment with iOS stuff (or like to tinker) I'd go with android. I agree with Brad above about the Nexus models; they have clean instances of android as god and google intended, with quick security and OS updates. :)

A flagship model from a couple years back (apple or android) would probably be heavily discounted and still perfectly serviceable.

I don't own a smart phone. everyone I know with one starts having problems with them after a couple of years. I have a mil spec flip phone. I know what's a flip phone, I have never seen one of those, does a carrier pigeon fly out of that phone, I heard them all. but I tell you what I have had it for 6+ years and never had 1 problem. it also works where those smart phones will not work. I have much better coverage then they do. I speak from experience. highdesertranger

I'm sort of with hdr.  I bought a Kyocera Brigadier from Verizon.  It's a mil-spec android smart phone.  Waterproof, dustproof, survives fall from about 6 feet or more, works when the temperature is stupid hot or cold, etc.

Popular not only with service people, but also construction workers and others who are really tough on their phones.

NOT a particularly cheap phone, however.

I also doubted the value and durability of smartphones, but wanted one for the apps. My first phone I bought an Apple, didn't much like it so exchanged it for a Samsung Note 3. I'm not good with technology and everyone said the Apple was easier--NOT FOR ME!!! I found the Samsung Note much more intuitive!!

I'm 100% sold on Smartphones!! I find new and amazing uses for it everyday. Incredible the technology in your hand!! I'm just as sold on Android and Samsung--outstanding!!

I'm equally sure I want the biggest phone I can get like the Note series, but that is more a personal thing.
Bob

Thank you all!

Work has given me my cell phones for a long time- Thank you, work! The latest is an Apple iPhone 6...its great. But work may end and now it'll be up to me and I've always found Apple just a little too.....too.

Again for work reasons, my computers and laptops have always been Windows (or Chrome) based PCs and I just like the PC world better than the precious Mac. (except I did buy a Mac Plus in '87...with a 2nd floppy drive...Advanced!)

so in the next month or so- Android here I come....

jj

highdesertranger said:
everyone I know with one starts having problems with them after a couple of years.

I would suggest the problem might be the owners.

I've had three smart phones. The first one was working fine and I only replaced it because I changed carriers. 

The second phone was also no problem, even though a friend accidentally dropped it in a glass of water. It dried out in a couple of days and was working great until I replaced it to get one that was set up for tethering. It would still run if I wanted to add it to my contract.

The third phone is still going strong.

akrvbob said:
I'm equally sure I want the biggest phone I can get ...

I have an iPhone 5c. The low end model. A small model. The other day I went with Lou to the Verizon store. I walked around while he was having is issues handled. I picked up a few of the larger phones. Right away I saw a problem for me. I couldn't reach things on the far side of the screen with my thumb. That meant I couldn't one-hand the phone.

Oh, and Bob, from another Thread, you have a Range Extender, or a Signal Amplifier?

And I too will likely Tether the phone for occasional laptop connection.

jj

I'm a Android guy .
I always use to think the larger screens were better until I used a smaller screen phone for awhile  , my next phone will be something like a Samsung S5 mini , I use my phone for everything to the point I threw my laptop in the garbage .
I find it amazing that you can do so much with just the phone and when your phone is smaller it gives you that much better effect of doing so much with so little.

MrNoodly said:
I have an iPhone 5c. The low end model. A small model. The other day I went with Lou to the Verizon store. I walked around while he was having is issues handled. I picked up a few of the larger phones. Right away I saw a problem for me. I couldn't reach things on the far side of the screen with my thumb. That meant I couldn't one-hand the phone.

Laying in the back of my van I have a option to reach for a Samsung note 2 or a Samsung S 3 (smaller screen ) ,  I'm reaching for the smaller screen phone everytime I guarantee that. 
If your use to a bigger screen it would take maybe a month to get use to a smaller screen but after that month there is no difference so it makes no sense to have a bigger screen and this is coming from a person that use to think the bigger screens were all the rage.

Mobilesport said:
Laying in the back of my van I have a option to reach for a Samsung note 2 or a Samsung S 3 (smaller screen ) ,  I'm reaching for the smaller screen phone everytime I guarantee that. 
If your use to a bigger screen it would take maybe a month to get use to a smaller screen but after that month there is no difference so it makes no sense to have a bigger screen and this is coming from a person that use to think the bigger screens were all the rage.

The pendulum swings: the ever smaller phone was once the rage: (See movie clip from Zoolander!)

Now the phones are getting BoomBox size! [img=267x189]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...Nm-3owBA3ZQUpV9OUzXVZ5Hrs5bzmWcMXVasdKZ[/img]

Have had an iPhone 5 (Verizon model) for at least five years. Just exchanged it for iPhone 5 with 64gigs ram. Absolutely love it!!!! Here are the points. 1) bought a battery pack case for it. The last a couple years. Makes phone last all day and night. 2) small size. 3) put on Verizon cell towers via STRAIGHT TALK for $40 a month 5gigs data. Works everywhere. 4) I can replace the battery. 5) repair parts can still be found everywhere. 6) there is an app for everything. 7) it never fails as the main IOS software is rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
I don't own a smart phone.  everyone I know with one starts having problems with them after a couple of years.  I have a mil spec flip phone.  I know what's a flip phone,  I have never seen one of those,  does a carrier pigeon fly out of that phone,  I heard them all.  but I tell you what I have had it for 6+ years and never had 1 problem.  it also works where those smart phones will not work.  I have much better coverage then they do.  I speak from experience.  highdesertranger

You may not be the Last Great Dinosaur.  I had, until the end of last year, a Samsung flip phone.  Maybe the third one of those in a row that I owned.  Never felt I needed anything else, despite a lot of computer / Internet use on a laptop.  

Rock-solid and strong signal are right.  Misplaced one outside once.  It was fought over and chewed on by a pack of really energetic teenage dogs (really).  When someone found it a couple of days later, and I finally got it back, I cleaned the goo off of it, and it worked like a charm!  Only had a couple of scratches in the tortoise-shell-strong outer case.  Try that iPhone!!  Very hard to beat if you can live without the Internet connection.  I'll probably keep one on hand as a survival phone.

Otherwise regarding smart phones, I think the small phone vs. big phone issue might have other considerations for some people.  Age and hand size for example.  I'm tired of squinting at infinitesimal letters on anything, to include a phone, and having the end of my finger press two keys at the same time on what is laughably called a "keyboard".

I agree that, once you get fully exposed to them, the capabilities of a smart phone are pretty addictive, even for late-adopter, overly-practical grumpy types like me.  And, my next phone will likely be a Google Nexus for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, that is, if I can ever figure out how to buy one before they discontinue it and release its replacement.  Below is an interesting article on why to chose a Nexus:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3092228/android/nexus-phones-android.html

I agree that it really comes down to personal choice. I had an iPhone for years, but when it died, I couldn't afford an new one. I got a Samsung S3. I really liked it until the GPS stopped working. I read that this is a common problem with the S3. Since we are about to embark on some heavy duty travel, I would sort of like my GPS to work. I think I will go back to iPhone.

The one problem I see with the Android devices is that they don't update (Except for Nexus). My iPhone updated its operating system regularly. My S3 is on 4.1 and it will forever be on 4.1.

Again, I think you get what works for you and stick with it until you are convinced something else is better. There are days when a tuna can and string seems like the right choice to me!  :cool:

I'll add tech is changing and getting a phone that handles as many bands as possible is important. Verizon is starting to use carrier aggregation meaning the phone will connect to more than one antenna at a time. You want a phone that will do that because it means faster speeds especially with a weaker signal. I have a phone on Sprint that does it and with no bars and connected to two antennas I can stream video.

One size does not fit all. I have a phablet that doesn't really fit in a pocket but were it to be the only screen I'd be using, I'd make the sacrifice. Larger screen, easier on the eyes, front facing speakers, connect a bluetooth keyboard for ease of use. Usually though, I like a phone to be my phone except for occasional web and email. I tend to use it's hotspot to run a computer or mirrorcast it's screen to a larger screen. In that case my Galaxy S4 and LG Tribute Duo fit in my pocket and have a screen big enough for occasional use.

There is a list on the Verizon site of the phones that will do C.A., I would pick from them.

Stephen said:
I agree that it really comes down to personal choice. I had an iPhone for years, but when it died, I couldn't afford an new one. I got a Samsung S3. I really liked it until the GPS stopped working. I read that this is a common problem with the S3. Since we are about to embark on some heavy duty travel, I would sort of like my GPS to work. I think I will go back to iPhone.

The one problem I see with the Android devices is that they don't update (Except for Nexus). My iPhone updated its operating system regularly. My S3 is on 4.1 and it will forever be on 4.1.

Again, I think you get what works for you and stick with it until you are convinced something else is better. There are days when a tuna can and string seems like the right choice to me!  :cool:

My One Touch Idol 3 recently updated to Marshmallow but only because Cricket released it.

To me, a cell phone is primarily a safety device.  I spent the extra money to buy a mil-spec phone because when you need to dial 911, you really need to get 911, and a I figured a mil-spec tough phone was the most likely one be working after falls and such.

Mobilesport said:
after that month there is no difference so it makes no sense to have a bigger screen

Depends on the use case. 

I jumped on the Note series back when people were reacting really negatively to big phones.   I did not and do not carry a tablet so a large phone/phablet met both needs for me.  I read on the phone which works much better on a large screen for me.  I also use it for movies and stuff when I do that.   I don't own a TV and rarely crank up the laptop anymore.  And the large phones can have monster batteries in them.  Daaaaaayyyyys, I say.

I have a 4.5" android and a 6" one and carry the 6" 90% of the time.   Horses for courses.