Best cell phone plan deal of the moment, Visible by Verizon?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have been on Visible for about 6-months [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]using the $19 phone and tethering only my laptop! i am a retired land based user- living in a large town just blocks from a very large university- so i assume there are lots of other users on my Verizon Tower- STILL i get a strong 40dn &40up at all times of the day- [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]lately i have noticed sometimes i awake my laptop from its sleep mode and the speed is down= maybe less than 10dn & 5up- my phone stays connected 24/7- i am not sure if when the LT sleeps if it is also connected- the last few days i have been disconnecting my tether when i sleep- and last night i turned off my phone also- this morning my speed is 40 & 45!!!!!![/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]maybe that will be my new practice![/font]

I have only had it for about two months. It is part of my arsenal for traveling. I also have a verizon phone plan for my phone that allows tethering for those places where a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) doesn't roam to. I also have an AT&T mobley ($23 mo. connected car) that I also employ. I find very few places that I don't have coverage but I also have a weboost with a directional antenna.

using a router on my Visible so i can tether my tablet & my laptop at the same time! (GL.iNet GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router= $27)
i tether it and it is easy to setup and does allow multi devices at same time- BUT THE SPEED is cut by 4x down to 10dn & 5up--

i see other users mention this same router and wonder if anybody else has this issue?

I have the 300 Mb one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07794JRC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Looks like they stopped selling it. I have a LAN in my van (and also in the S&B). I don't usually measure speed unless I am having a problem.

It has external antennas that I replaced with higher gain ones so I don't need to be right by my rig. When the old 3G hotspots were around, I found those fast enough to stream videos. 600 Kbps is not blazing fast but usable. I don't need instantaneous page loads like at the S&B.

10x5 sounds about the same as a DSL line.

brucedevauxone said:
using a router on my Visible so i can tether my tablet & my laptop at the same time! (GL.iNet GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router= $27)
i tether it and it is easy to setup and does allow multi devices at same time- BUT THE SPEED is cut by 4x down to 10dn & 5up--

i see other users mention this same router and wonder if anybody else has this issue?

Could be the router, but I'd guess it's just the cap Visible puts on hotspot speed.  This is from their web site:

+Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time

They removed the 5 Mb cap on the older plans. I don't know if they reinstated it. Single connected device still there.

B and C said:
They removed the 5 Mb cap on the older plans.  I don't know if they reinstated it.  Single connected device still there.

Thank you for the info.  If you had just one plan to choose right now, what would it be?  I'm thinking to start with Verizon postpaid and going from there (Visible, booster, antennae, etc.) as needed.  The new satellite stuff like SpaceX could change things a lot in a year or two.

You're right, it would be verizon postpaid. It even worked in canada for me and is supposed to work in mexico. I think there are daily data caps when out of country though.

B and C said:
I don't run the place :)  Anyone can start a thread and if the mods tried to combine them into one it would be a jumble of posts that would be difficult to follow.  Not that difficult to read each of them where there is a flow.
OMG don't be so sensitive I just made a legitimate comment-- it is easy to miss important info when spread between threads- i though a forum was meant to be a place where info is organized-

B and C said:
I have only had it for about two months.  It is part of my arsenal for traveling.  I also have a verizon phone plan for my phone that allows tethering for those places where a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) doesn't roam to.  I also have an AT&T mobley ($23 mo. connected car) that I also employ.  I find very few places that I don't have coverage but I also have a weboost with a directional antenna.
that is a lot of fire power!!!

B and C said:
I have the 300 Mb one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07794JRC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Looks like they stopped selling it.  I have a LAN in my van (and also in the S&B).  I don't usually measure speed unless I am having a problem.
It has external antennas that I replaced with higher gain ones so I don't need to be right by my rig.  When the old 3G hotspots were around, I found those fast enough to stream videos.  600 Kbps is not blazing fast but usable.  I don't need instantaneous page loads like at the S&B. 
10x5 sounds about the same as a DSL line.
befre i noticed a small vedio taking a long time to upload- that is why i started measuring- and noticed the reduced speed

Zork said:
Could be the router, but I'd guess it's just the cap Visible puts on hotspot speed.  This is from their web site:
no it is not a cap because when i power off/on the speed comes back- i am guessing some kind of Visible practice that when they see your connected continuously (without any activity) then they slow the speed kind of like putting your CPU in sleep mode after so many minutes- i am just hoping another Visible user that has noticed this will read my post and reply!

Zork said:
Thank you for the info.  If you had just one plan to choose right now, what would it be?  I'm thinking to start with Verizon postpaid and going from there (Visible, booster, antennae, etc.) as needed.  The new satellite stuff like SpaceX could change things a lot in a year or two.
i also had good luck with Verizon Postpaid- back when i was still an active OTR Semi Driver i switch from Sprint to Verizon- it was the difference of night and day!!! i could be in the most remote area and still have a connection!