Best cell phone plan deal of the moment, Visible by Verizon?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
So check it out :dodgy:
For those who may need it or interested, CNET had an ad advertising Visible by Verizon @ $40 full unlimited data and tethering.  Trade in for free phone, etc...
Tech geeks can look up the details and specifics required. Looks like it is online enrollment, direct billing, prepaid, no contract, etc...
States offer is good to Aug 30.
Just sharing what looks like a great deal.

Disclaimer; I do not work nor sell for Visible or Verizon.
The websites like all on the internet may have popups, ads, track you, etc...

Have used Visible for several months, brought own unlocked iPhone. They sent a SIM in 2 days. Didn’t transfer a phone number as use Google Voice as main # so setup was fast. Get decent speed in our remote location. Used the unlimited hotspot as main internet for several days while a home phone line/internet was down. Netflix and others worked fine. It’s a flat price no extra taxes and fees.
Service area is same as Verizon prepaid plans or other sellers like StraightTalk. No roaming, no Canada or Mexico.

Also have an ATT Postpaid plan unlimited everything but no hotspot but you do get 30+ TV channels. Have it for the Apple Watch connection. Have a 25% government discount but with all the fees and taxes it is just under $75. With the exception of the watch the Visible plan is a better deal IMO

You should know that your data is always de-prioritized so if you are on a tower with some congestion your data speeds can be pretty abysmal. My experience over the past month in a limited area is that rural areas are good for data speeds where in moderate sized cities the speeds are almost unusable.

Still, I'm keeping it as a backup to my at&t hotspot and T-Mobile phones.

eflyersteve said:
You should know that your data is always de-prioritized so if you are on a tower with some congestion your data speeds can be pretty abysmal.  My experience over the past month in a limited area is that rural areas are good for data speeds where in moderate sized cities the speeds are almost unusable.  

Still, I'm keeping it as a backup to my at&t hotspot and T-Mobile phones.

I have had it for a week and I live in a very congested Verizon area. I have tested throughout the day and I get consistent speeds. Anywhere from 10mb up to 40mb depending on which side of my home I am on. Signal is better on one side as I live on the side of a hill from the tower. I bought the Visible R2 phone for $19. They shipped it overnight and I ported my number over from ATT. Anyone porting a number, make sure if you have a prepaid account, to contact ATT for your account number. Your phone # does not work as an account #. If you have to contact them for support, I highly recommend using the Text option. It will take hours for them to respond. You then don't have to sit by your computer waiting for a chat. The R2 phone has it built in that only one hotspot connection is permitted at a time. I am using PDANet and it works great. It was $8, but I don't want to spend hundreds of $ on a new phone. The R2 cases are difficult to find. I ordered one from eBay and it is coming from China. The phone itself is pretty nice. I had an LG Phoenix on ATT and it was ok. But this R2 is much better display.

Minivanmotoman said:
So check it out :dodgy:
For those who may need it or interested, CNET had an ad advertising Visible by Verizon @ $40 full unlimited data and tethering.

just wanted to say thanks for posting- i just ordered the plan w/$19 phone- Verizon! should wk fine- but for 19 =40 not a bad price to see how it works!!!

chucktate said:
I bought the Visible R2 phone for $19.

thanks for sharing about the R2- i went w/same- not bad deal to see how it goes- best deal to get Verizon service since the $5-deal stopped wking

I've been with Visible for at least 4 months, maybe longer. I have the R2 also. It's not the best phone in the world but it's ok. The hotspot on it is excellent. The second month I had it, I used it all month for all my internet connectivity. I ran up over 80gb of data as a hotspot just to see if they would slow me down. They didn't. At the time download speed was throttled to 5mps and it was fast enough to stream Netflix and YouTube without issue. Now it's a lot faster. I'm not connected to it right now but last time I did a speed test I got 13mps down with two bars of signal.

About two weeks ago they sent me a screen protector and a case. Last week they sent me a hat, sunglasses and a 16 oz thermos bottle and it's a good one. I burnt my tongue on coffee I poured over an hour before I went to drink it.  I didn't ask them to send me anything so it was a pleasant surprise.

I don't work for Visible.

Also, I think this is a great deal because I can drop it anytime I wish. It's month to month.

I have had the Visible R2 for 2 months and it has been working great. I live in a Minneapolis suburb and have had no speed issues. I will be traveling to Washington state in a few days and it will be a good test for coverage.  Even though they state that the tethered speed is limited to 5Mb/s, my tethered speed is not capped yet. As stated, you can only connect one device at a time to the hotspot. To get around this I connect to a GL-AR150 travel router which allows me to connect multiple devices. It's available on Amazon for $26.50.

Link: GL.iNet GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router
31zzOxIoPkL._SY180_.jpg

I just signed up for the plan yesterday and waiting on my FREE phone to arrive.

Guys, what's some good Android apps that you like?

I will add one that I heard of.... Network Cell Info Lite.

Riverman said:
I just signed up for the plan yesterday and waiting on my FREE phone to arrive.

Guys,  what's some good Android apps that you like?

I will add one that I heard of....  Network Cell Info Lite.

Did you get the R2 phone?

Well I took the plunge and ordered the phone. My current phone is only $25 but only has text and talk, no data. I always had to connect to internet. This will actually be my FIRST phone with data. I ordered the cheap R2 phone, it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

I got my R2 phone today, installed app and connected to the service.

It works!   It isn't the fastest in the world on tethering but a lot faster than regular Verizon when you run out of data...and I run out of the 15GB of data on verizon's $45 a month prepaid plan in about 7 days even not streaming while using tethering....every website out there is a data hog nowadays.

The phone is pretty awesome for $19.   Fingerprint unlock, nice screen, slim design.

I actually can't believe you can get a phone for $19 unlocked, with free next day fed-ex shipping.  Mind is a little blown.

Just got my phone! It's the basic R2 and a little slow but really great for only twenty bucks. Activated my service and they gave a referal code of zsC77 - apparently if you use the code you'll get a $20 credit on your first bill. I don't know if it's a one-use code or if multiple people can use it, but anyway thought I'd share. :) So far so good, I like their graphic design too (the start-up screen has "visible" with the dots on the i's blinking) and setup is pretty easy. I DID make the stupid mistake of trying to shove the ENTIRE sim card, with plastic, into the sim card slot, I couldn't tell that it popped out of the plastic at first. Had to pull it back out with tweezers. But it's up and running, now to download all the apps and switch my Google Voice over! Thanks OP for the great tip!

bandaidqueen said:
Just got my phone! It's the basic R2 and a little slow but really great for only twenty bucks. Activated my service and they gave a referal code of zsC77 - apparently if you use the code you'll get a $20 credit on your first bill. I don't know if it's a one-use code or if multiple people can use it, but anyway thought I'd share. :) So far so good, I like their graphic design too (the start-up screen has "visible" with the dots on the i's blinking) and setup is pretty easy. I DID make the stupid mistake of trying to shove the ENTIRE sim card, with plastic, into the sim card slot, I couldn't tell that it popped out of the plastic at first. Had to pull it back out with tweezers. But it's up and running, now to download all the apps and switch my Google Voice over! Thanks OP for the great tip!

You won't find a case in the US. If you can wait from China, it will take a couple weeks or so. I bought this and it actually works pretty good. I wouldn't count on it protecting a severe drop, but clumsy drops seem ok. I did order one from China and waiting on it too. But this was delivered in 2days since I have prime. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RG2GFQQ/

bandaidqueen said:

Also, if you want to use the hotspot for more than 1 device, I recommend PDANet. I bought the app for $8 and it works very well.

Got my free phone today and it's working mighty fine.

A question, is there a way (or an app) to turn the hotspot signal on and off without going into settings every time?

Swipe the menu down from the top then do it again. Swipe to the left and the hotspot icon is right there. I don't know if I'm using the correct terms

Thanks, I don't know much about Android phones but I will learn.