Best antenna for travel trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calibound

Reaction score
I currently have the winegard antenna, but only get 4 channels. When I was closer to Tampa I use to get 15-20 channels. Is there a better antenna? My neighbor swears by the king jack, since he had one on his sailboat. Eventually i plan on getting dish tailgater after I finish school.

A friend of mine is a TV Station Engineer who uses these two things.

A simple antenna like this that he can turn the pole it's mounted on to aim it in the directions where the transmitters are located.

s-l225.jpg

There are larger ones of these with twice the range.  The one above may work well from 1 to 30 miles on UHF channels 14 to 69.  

and this website that will allow you to find those locations of transmitters by the zip code where you are.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

TvFool.com is another good site for determining which channels should be accessible in location X

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Use good rg-6 cable.

LED lights can knock out TV stations, as can inverters and AC/DC or DC/DC transformers, like laptop power supplies.

I notice actual channels 8 10 are badly affected by the above devices, and these 2 channnels are the strongest in my location.

SternWake said:
I notice actual channels 8 10 are badly affected by the above devices, and these 2 channnels are the strongest in my location.

Old Channels 2-6 were in the lower VHF band and 7-13 were in the upper VHF band.  2-6 moved to UHF, but I believe 7-13 are still broadcasting on their original VHF frequencies.

I have a winegard on my TT and it's the BIGGEST POS i've ever seen.  I live less than 10 miles from every transmitter in the city I live in and I have to constantly turn it even sometimes in the middle of a program.  Right now I'm using a pair of raabbit ears that work just as well.  I would NEVER spend money on a winegard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calibound said:
I currently have the winegard antenna, but only get 4 channels. When I was closer to Tampa I use to get 15-20 channels. Is there a better antenna? 

Digital has a very short signal reach.  Are you using the 12v electric amp/signal booster built into the wall socket?  The batwing Winegards are about the best available in an actual RV antenna.  You can get an extra wing antenna add-on that gives a couple more db boost to the signals and I've found that it does help in fringe reception areas.

closeanuf said:
I have a winegard on my TT and it's the BIGGEST POS i've ever seen.  I live less than 10 miles from every transmitter in the city I live in and I have to constantly turn it even sometimes in the middle of a program.  Right now I'm using a pair of raabbit ears that work just as well.  I would NEVER spend money on a winegard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you checked your cable from the antenna?  They deteriorate over time and may be the source of your signal issues.  I'm over 40 miles from the nearest TV transmitters in two separate directions; SE and NW... and, while I need to turn the antenna in the direction I want to pick up the station(s) from,  I can pick them all up with mine.

I have a simple rabbit ear omni directional antenna and pick up stations from 92 miles away, granted that transmitting antenna is over 5000 feet in elevation.

Do not underestimate the importance of clean connections and quality quad shield rg-6 coax cable. It is a guarantee that the coax it left the factoryt with is the cheapest rg-59 they could find and horrible connections attached by a meth addled gorilla who just got done huffing airplane glue.

The Digital transition mianly moved most of the broadcast channels from VHF to UHF frequencies. VHF requires longer antenna elements( rabbit ears) where UHF requires smaller elements( bowtie).

I made my own antenna which outperforms the winegard batwing with the wingman UHF element attached, but it is too big and bulky. I bought a simple omni directional antenna and was able to pick up enough stations that i no longer bother with the larger Omega antenna I built.

Calibound said:
I currently have the winegard antenna, but only get 4 channels. When I was closer to Tampa I use to get 15-20 channels. Is there a better antenna? My neighbor swears by the king jack, since he had one on his sailboat. Eventually i plan on getting dish tailgater after I finish school.

Well I bought the king jack and replaced the winegard. Now i get a lot more channels but still no nbc or metv. At least now I get abc, cbs, thistv and a feq others I didnt get before. Here is link to the king jack. https://kingconnect.com/product/king-jack-replacement-head/