Benchmark or DeLorme?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with DeLorme but my Benchmark atlases are great. They show where all the public land is [in different colors] and are very detailed. I have eight states.

The
Benchmark is a superior map. But more of the Delormes have color coding for land ownership. Both is ideal but if forced to chose I'd get a Benchmark.

If you sign up for emails at the Delorme site, they all the time have theirs for 1/2 off. I bought 7 states I will spend some but not a lot of time in for 1/2 price.

If I spend a lot of time in a state, I want a Benchmark.
Bob

One thing I'd add is the Delorme has Topo lines for height. Benchmark usually does color shading to show height, but the topo lines give you a better idea. It helps when you're trying to decide where there'll be snow.

When looking for elevation, Benchmark has another advantage over Delorme, it almost always gives the elevation of towns and lakes and Delorme doesn't. So it's generally easier to find elevations with Benchmark. Delorme does have topo lines, but finding the elevation of any of them can be quite a challenge and then you've got to follow the line around to where you are interested in. It does generally give the elevation of high points, but that doesn't help with where you are going to be.
Bob

My interest in the Delorme state atlases is that fro the perspective of adventure motorcycling. Delorme shows the small trails and forest roads, and lakes & ponds. They are more accurate than some GPS maps.

AFAIK, my Benchmark maps also show every trail and road, lake and pond.

They both show Forest and BLM roads. Even on the same page in one section Benchmark is better, in another Delorme is better. But I think Benchmark always shows them clearer.

They both have strengths and weaknesses, having both is ideal.

Here is a shot of a Benchmark page I used on a post on how to find boondocking spots, I added the text. To see it bigger, zoom in with your browser to see it bigger, usually cntrl + or cntrl - zooms in or out. Notice 1) it is color coded for land ownership 2) gives elevation for most towns 3) Forest Roads and BLM roads are the broken lines and they give the FR number for them. Not all states are color coded for land ownership on both the DeLorme or Benchmark.

benchmark_page.jpg

Bob

I use both for general reference but find numerous inaccuracies in both and to say they show every road and trail is just not true. I use them to travel the main roads from one location to another. for back country travel you need usgs maps nothing will replace these. all other maps are usgs based. the usgs physically mapped the whole US(boots on the ground) no one else has done this. highdesertranger

I agree on usgs. Detail is better. I have the nat geo software that uses these quadrangle maps as a base. Don't think they make the software anymore but they are great if you have a computer handy.

10-4 cdiggy I here you on the nat geo. it's what I use for detailed maps, I have ca, nv, or, and az. but I still use the delorme and benchmark for general road travel. highdesertranger

Not so much boots on the ground, except in populous areas, and then just to set benchmarks. More airplanes in the sky.

highdesertranger said:
10-4 cdiggy I here you on the nat geo. it's what I use for detailed maps, I have ca, nv, or, and az. but I still use the delorme and benchmark for general road travel. highdesertranger
Right on. I have AZ UT MT WY and a couple east coast I think. That software is hard to get now. They don't make it anymore I think.

I have an older delorme as well. Good for general use.

yes the usgs use airplanes for photo updates now but they have been making maps for over 100 years, the base maps were hand drawn by people doing on site surveys many many years ago. I have some usgs maps from the early 1900's no planes used then. highdesertranger

Very cool stuff. I watched a show with Ray Mears detailing Canada's history and people and one of the episodes was a guy who ended up drawing the first complete maps of the country on foot with a sextant. Quite a feat.

yes very cool that would have been a great job back in the day. I have actually run into usgs survey crews on two separate occasions. they will do an aerial survey and add changes to their maps, in purple. it stays purple until ground surveyors physically check, then the changes get changed from purple to regular map colors. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I use both for general reference but find numerous inaccuracies in both and to say they show every road and trail is just not true. I use them to travel the main roads from one location to another. for back country travel you need usgs maps nothing will replace these. all other maps are usgs based. the usgs physically mapped the whole US(boots on the ground) no one else has done this. highdesertranger

THIS!! <grin> I have had different issues of the Delorme have discrepancies between the two... for tail maps, you need to get the USGS..

but to the original topic, I use the Delorme because of the fact that it ties in with my software (Topo 10) and my GPS Delorem earthmate pn30

Has anyone noticed that it's become very difficult to find Benchmark atlases, recent editions, for many western states. I wanted one for South Dakota. Nope, seems they've been snapped up. And Benchmark informed me they have no plans for another SD atlas for the next two years. 

Guess I will be buying a Delorme, recent edition SD also not available, only one from 2006.

Have boon dockers' needs devoured the market and both companies need to publish in larger volume???