Benchmark or DeLorme?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
as far as geological features you really don't need the latest edition they don't change,  well they do but it take eons.  are you looking for the book type or the folding one.  the folding one is available on Amazon.

Lol, I belong to an advanced scientist geology group. U R right, those geo features don't (hardly ever) change real fast. But I thought may be forest service or blm roads might change over 12 years time. I wanted the book type.

For Forest Service roads you're better off picking up a copy of the MVUMs (Motorized Vehicle Use Maps) from either a ranger station or asking if the local welcome center has any (usually behind the counter).

The NF maps are free and have a whole lot more detail than anything else. The only thing they don't  have is elevation...sigh!

BLM maps are also available from their ranger stations but are priced at $5.00 IIRC. I've never bothered with them for campsite locating.

I use DeLorme to find the BLM areas or freecampsites.net

Almost There said:
For Forest Service roads you're better off picking up a copy of the MVUMs (Motorized Vehicle Use Maps) from either a ranger station or asking if the local welcome center has any (usually behind the counter).

The NF maps are free and have a whole lot more detail than anything else. The only thing they don't  have is elevation...sigh!

BLM maps are also available from their ranger stations but are priced at $5.00 IIRC. I've never bothered with them for campsite locating.

I use DeLorme to find the BLM areas or freecampsites.net
Thx, I just pushed the Buy button on Amazon. Old Delorme for SD, Benchmark for Utah. Good to know the NF maps are free. Guess I go back & forth for detail & elevation. Good tip re maps behind counter @ welcome cntrs. 

Freecampsites.net is great. Next big challenge is getting a Smartphone for apps & laptop use. Verizon prices incl hotspot are Uggh. Yes, I've read the cheap phone plan thread.