Bed platform - plywood thickness?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's the one! :)

I think that would have let someone reduce the insulation thickness under the bottom of the plywood, and be more usable while still avoiding the condensation problems.
I liked the name of your van so much I decided to name mine similarly, it is now a RAT or rolling aluminium tent.

Like many above have stated... It all depends on the support below.

In our rig you can see a 3/8" marine ply above the frame, which is 3/4" square powder coated steal on 16" centers. It is a full size bed but platform is wall to wall as there is a street-side closet above the platform as seen in the photo.

TCLawdInteriorSM.jpg

Then on top of the platform we have a froli sleep system, which is amazing for comfort and also spreads out the load even further. On top of the froli we have a 4" serta wool futon + 3" gell topper. Super comfy. If it wasn't so beautiful outside up in the hills in the morning you'd just stay in bed ;)

Cheers,
Thom

Just as an aside, if you are worried about VOCs, hardboard/masonite is frequently made without any resin. Just wood fibers steam compressed. It is quite strong as well.

Luan is paneling and very thin. It's probably made in a similar way as plywood in that it has multiple layers that are glued together.

Luan is a trade name for plywood made from several related species of south asian hardwood trees often lumped together as so called "Phillipine Mahogany". It' always seems to be sold as fairly thin panels.

Regular domestic plywood comes from softwood trees - Douglas fir being most common.

Regards
John