Bed cut into sections?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reducto

Reaction score
I have a very small van so I can't leave my bed out permanently. I'm currently folding it in half every day which has worked ok, but it's awkward and the two layers of foam keep separating and bunching up.

I'm considering cutting the mattress into 3 sections and making a custom cover for it for easier stowage. I'm worried about the gaps between sections being an issue, though. Like, they could pull apart and make for a less comfy sleeping experience.

Has anyone else here had a similar setup and been happy with it, or had issues?

I spent several nights on a bed that was 3 separate cushions... it was ok, but sometimes they would separate slightly and that made it uncomfortable and annoying. One thing I was thinking was to make a stopper at each end to hold them in place, I think that would have worked ok because they wouldn't be able to separate, although I never tried it. I am redoing the bed now so I won't be using the 3 cushions anymore.

In my research I have come across this which is a tri-fold mattress that is attached...

folding-beds.jpg

Yeah a tri-fold thing is pretty much what I was planning. Just hoping to hear some personal experiences before slicing up my nice mattress.

I did a tri-fold mattress cover for my Astro so that a full double mattress would fold up and form a 'couch' during the day time.

I used one piece of quilted mattress cover material for the top and then used cotton/polyester fabric to build custom sized 'envelopes for the three pieces.

If you're interested, I can give you more detailed plans - it gets kinda wordy trying to explain how it went together and depending on your bed layout and who is doing the sewing, whether it's viable.