Bed bug probem... and my solution... is it viable?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
Well, I have a fairly serious bed bug probem in my van. .. which I find both really gross and embarrassing. My van is not dirty and certainly not filthy but these buggers are here nonetheless. I discovered and killed about 20 of them last night. They mainly come out at night as they are nocturnal. 

From my reading they are very difficult to remove completely. 

My plan is to 

1. clean and remove all clutter.  I will launder everything I can. Good thing I am a minimalist and don't own much.

2. Remove all valuables in case of heat damage. I would inspect items closely for bugs / eggs.

3. Buy two big buddy heaters and 4 green propane bottles, along with my Wave 3 and turn them all on to maximum heat. Apparently 49C or 113F will kill them and their eggs.

I would leave the heaters on for 3 hours or until the propane bottles are empty.

All air gaps in the van will be sealed. I definitely won't be in the van due to high heat and no oxygen. 

My main concern / question is will I actually reach 113F in the van? Maybe 3 heaters on maximum is way overkill? I am also concerned about plastic melting. I am especially concerned about how that intense heat will effect my deep cycle batteries as heat is a catalyst of chemical reactions. 

I know this all sounds a bit crazy but desperate times call for desperate measures. If I can't get rid of these bed bugs I will be forced to get another van. I really don't want to do that as I have over 500 hours invested in the build. 

Your thoughts and tips are appreciated!

I don't have any experience with bed bugs, but maybe a steam cleaner would be easier.

And wahtever else I did I would use a fogger after.

Are you somewhere where the sun could heat your vehicle? When I was in Vegas my van would get as hot as 120 degrees, closed up during the day.

go to http://www.thebestcontrol.com/bugstop/control_bed_bugs.htm for good info. I don't want to paste a lot here.
Bed bugs are very sensitive to heat in all stages of their development. The thermal death point for the common bedbug is only 111o F. to 113o F.; even lower temperatures of 97o F. to 99o F. will kill large numbers of these bugs. Raising the temperature for an hour or so should eliminate most infestations. Use a steam cleaner to steam the cracks and crevices and mattress weekly using only tap water.

Bed bugs are also killed by prolonged exposure to low temperatures (32o F. to 48o F.) Even the eggs die at these temperatures within 30 to 50 days, although adults and nymphs die within hours. So by simply closing off an infested bedroom and leaving it unheated in cold weather can help eradicate any bed bug infestations, as will carbon dioxide fumigation of the mattress and area. Place mattress, springs, bedding, slats and frames directly in the sun or in a plastic "bag" made of heavy visquine and duct taped together with 1# - 3# of dry ice on a paper bag on top of the mattress to "fumigate the critters".

Thorough cleaning or vacuuming will help but will not completely eliminate the pests. Use a red light at night to determine where they are hiding. Caulk, foam, seal and paint all hiding areas. As a last resort, dust talcum powder, medicated body powder, food-grade diatomaceous earth or Comet® into cracks and crevices of floors and baseboards and then seal completely. Clean thoroughly using diluted Safe Solutions, Inc. Enzyme Cleaner with Peppermint and/or borax as needed.

More at the site. Notice this site is "non-toxic solutions for bed bugs."

They're bad news for sure. Best wishes getting them GONE!

No I am in Vancouver BC. This time of year our average high is 15C. From my reading foggers don't really work. They may kill the bugs but the eggs are unharmed.

Ortho brand "Home Defense" has killed every bug I've sprayed it on and works well for eggs because it leaves a lasting film. But I am aware that the heat treatment is recommended for bed bugs. If it were my van I would do both.

If the heaters don't get them the CO perhaps might. The heaters might shut themselves down from lack of oxygen. I think that temperature should be attainable in the daytime. Perhaps a large tarp over the whole van too or rubs thrown over roof.
Park next to a white building facing south.

Your tongue and groove pine might not like the heat and moisture of that much propane heat.

The batteries will handle it, just make sure they are not charging. Batteries under hoods of cars regularly get upto 130f. Not good for them but they handle it.

Good point about the heaters shutting themselves off. Anyway to stop that?

I do not know how to defeat the 02 sensor.
Anyway you can plug in somewhere and borrow electric heaters?

So sorry for this situation!
Fact is, bed bugs are really easy to pick up!

A suitcase set on a hotel room floor for instance.

One reason I'm making a four season Class B camper is to eliminate this possibility!
Sleep in our own rolling hotel room every night.

Best wishes that your eradication efforts are successful!

Dave

Key West has bedbug problems for a couple reasons...I honestly never knew what a bedbug was until I moved here. In the 16 yrs been here, I've moved twice due to infestations...fighting them in multi-unit buildings can be unwinnable. Your plan of heat eradication is exactly what I would do...the van makes it perfectly doable. It's the most effective method, but having it done in homes or apartments is very costly...so second choice is around $800 for multiple rounds of chemical treatments. 

Don't waste your time with chemicals you can buy in stores or online...they are ineffective to say the least. Bleach kills them, and I've spent afternoons bleaching bedding and clothing in garbage cans. But high heat is ideal...commercial heat treatments are more like 120 degrees for 4 hours. If you're gonna do it, why mess around and risk not getting them all.

When I was trying to devise a way to DIY heat treat an apt, I was going to rent a torpedo heater: Kerosene Heater. Used these on construction sites up north all the time...but of course, KW doesn't have them for rent. I'd suggest setting it up on something so it can blow in side door, using some rigid insulation to close doorway in. Those things put out some serious heat and air flow, so probably would need to leave windows cracked a bit. Some more reflective board inside so heater isn't cooking whatever sits opposite doorway.

And certainly have a couple thermostats in windows so you can monitor temps...I suspect you'll need to fool around some to keep temps from going upwards of 140+...just a guess.  Good luck and happy hunting...I hate those bastards   ;P

I like the idea of getting one of those high powered construction site propane heaters. I could likely rent one from home depot.

One Awesome Inch said:
I like the idea of getting one of those high powered construction site propane heaters. I could likely rent one from home depot.

If you also rent an air compressor, you could snake the hose in and rig it to provide air for the heater so it doesn't stop running.

One Awesome Inch said:
...two big buddy heaters... 

...and no oxygen. 

Mr. Heater Big Buddy's have low-oxygen sensors that shut off the heaters when oxygen levels get down to what turns out to be the equivalent of air at about 7,000 feet.

I brought bedbugs home from a California vacation a few years ago, and it was a hideous experience.  I could really understand people driven to drench themselves in insecticide or burn their house down.  (don't do this!)

Heat is the perfect solution.  Unfortunately, it was March at the time, and I was unwilling to wait 3 months.   I thoroughly steamed my bed, and wrapped the mattress in a bedbug proof cover.  I put the bed legs into little bedbug catchers so they couldn't climb up into my bed. Then I scattered diatomaceous earth all around my bed.    The bugs crawled through it, trying to get to me and cut themselves, then died off from dehydration.    It's totally safe for pets and people, and is sold in the gardening section of stores.  After the bedbugs were all dead a few days later, I just swept the d. earth all up.

gsfish said:
Check with local body shops to see if you can have your van 'baked' in their curing booth. I think that they run about 140F, 60C. They use infrared so I'm not sure how that would effect interior temperature of the van. Worth asking anyway, might be cheaper than the heaters.

Guy

Good idea!

Tussah said:
I brought bedbugs home from a California vacation a few years ago, and it was a hideous experience.  I could really understand people driven to drench themselves in insecticide or burn their house down.  (don't do this!)

Heat is the perfect solution.  Unfortunately, it was March at the time, and I was unwilling to wait 3 months.   I thoroughly steamed my bed, and wrapped the mattress in a bedbug proof cover.  I put the bed legs into little bedbug catchers so they couldn't climb up into my bed. Then I scattered diatomaceous earth all around my bed.    The bugs crawled through it, trying to get to me and cut themselves, then died off from dehydration.    It's totally safe for pets and people, and is sold in the gardening section of stores.  After the bedbugs were all dead a few days later, I just swept the d. earth all up.

Yeah, sounds tough. Problem for me is that my bed touches three walls in my van and there is no way of avoiding that.

My room got bed bugs a few months ago, have no idea where they came from. The manager had me remove the delicate stuff like computer, printer and such but I left my mobility scooter in there while they heated it up. I found a few live ones after the heat treatment in a package I had not opened. Took the item out and the box outside and burned it. I've had no issues since but I quit allowing the lady who tidies up once a month to bring her cleaning supplies in. Disgusting little buggers.

I should add, they turned both mattress and inner spring on their sides and pulled the headboard away from the wall.

"Bed bugs are parasites that feed on the blood of people, using these blood meals to grow and reproduce. They do not distinguish between dirty or clean homes and all people are vulnerable to infestations in their homes. Bed bugs are also capable of feeding on animals, including dogs, cats, and other pets."

[...]

"How can I control an infestation?

"We highly recommend that you seek assistance from a professional pest control company.

"Controlling an infestation requires very detailed work, much moving and disassembly of furniture, and specialty equipment. Careful inspections must be completed in conjunction with non-chemical controls (such as heat treatments, vacuuming, and steam treatments) and insecticide treatments. The insecticides available are commercial products requiring special equipment and training. The insecticides available in over-the-counter products and methods used by residents are not effective in controlling bed bugs.

"Another method that pest control services use for controlling bed bugs in homes is the use of heat treatment. Specialized equipment is used to raise the temperatures in target areas to 118° F and then maintain it for at least 70 minutes. All stages of bed bugs are killed when this is done properly. While very effective, heat treatment does not prevent bed bugs from being brought back into a home and reinfesting it.

"It is important to cooperate with a pest control service. However, it should not be necessary to have to move or discard your furniture and your belongings out of your home, especially from an apartment or condominium. Sometimes furniture is removed and heat treated in a container but it would be rare to actually need to throw items away."

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/bed-bugs-in-residences/

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can rent propane/kerosene/diesel heaters that stay outside and a large tube runs into the vehicle.......they are made to dry out buildings after floods or provide heat during construction. This way the heater is outside and has plenty of oxygen to run, just hot air going into the vehicle. You will have to cut a piece of plywood to fit the window opening, this way the heat can't escape.

Don't be embarrassed about bed bugs, they can hitch a ride on somethingg anywhere and then offload in your residence. Not an indication of someone's cleanliness or lack there of by any means.

A day sitting in the Florida summer sun exceeds this "heat treatment" by a good margin. Hard styrene plastic can warp or soften if exposed to direct sun through windows. Regular vehicle plastics are not affected.

Latest posts