BBC's "American Nomads"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
It's a four part series, but because it's on BBC, it's only available in the UK<br><br>I found&nbsp;this short clip&nbsp;amusing. Looking for more.<br><br><A href="" target=_blank></A><br>

I've a bunch of friends in the UK. They've told me how their version of it sucks which is why they're enthralled by what we do. I guess there are only so many places you can caravan on an island.<div><br></div><div>Cyndi - I"m pretty sure I can get a copy of it from my friends. I'll get back to you about this.</div><div><br></div>

Oh, that's funny Steve! I have always thought of the UK and Europe, in general, to be the mecca of the nomadic lifestyle. I guess it's probably stereotypical thinking connected to&nbsp; the gypsy/traveler lifestyle. Shame on me.<br><br>Thanks, Steve! I would love if one of your friends could share! i don't think the whole series has aired yet. <br>

<P>This was so funny. Americas largest nomadic tribe, rv clubs.</P><P>&nbsp;Something about the British accent. Wish it had been longer. Looks like it just was put up, maybe they are making more.<BR><BR></P>

THAT'S Quartzsite!? I was thinking you guys met with a small group of people in a remote area with no one else around. That looks like what I'm trying to avoid lol : large groups of people.

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e8e8e8 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: #e8e8e8 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 6px; spacing: 3px">Originally Posted by <B>Seraphim</B><BR>That looks like what I'm trying to avoid lol : large groups of people.</DIV><P>&nbsp;Don't fear, it is a big place. If I am there I will sing karaoke and the masses will leave in droves, then I will be quiet.</P><P><b><FONT color=#ff00ff size=3>Dragonfly</FONT></b></P>

Guys, its not all that way, did you see all the areas panned with no one&nbsp;in it?&nbsp; He was searching for big bands of people, RV clubs.&nbsp; He probably never even saw the singles and small groups scattered thoughout thousands and thousands&nbsp;of acres.<br><b><FONT color=#ff00ff size=2>Dragonfly</FONT></b><br>

The RTR was held&nbsp;a few miles away from the masses. There were some other RVs within walking distance, but the congested areas&nbsp;were pretty far away. <br><br><br>

I am reassured. Still, unless it were people I went to specifically meet, another vehicle in walking distance is pushing the limit. DW and I really do like getting out in the wilds. Most campgrounds are hell, unless we go in the winter when they're vacant.

Cyndi, maps don't really give a good sense of scale about the size of England, but I believe I was told that no point in England is more than 70 miles from the ocean. I believe New York state is bigger in terms of area. Of course, a lot of people even in the US have no real grasp on the size of some of our western states. I had a difficult time explaining to my mother many years ago that she could not daytrip from Houston to Las Vegas...<br>

Speaking of tv coverage, Brian Williams had a thing the other night about families in central florida that have turned to vandwelling as a result of the negatively impacted construction industry there. Some of the families had pretty nice set ups.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Most of the children showed a desire to return to stable housing, understandably. And several of the interviewee's had found some type of housing since they were initially contacted.&nbsp;</div>

I visited Bob at the spot where RTR was held this year on my way back to Texas. It's away from where the BBC documentary was filmed in a much less sparsely populated area. That being said you don't have to park where RTR is being held or even where others like to cluster park. You can go further south where most of the boondockers like to keep away from each other by a mile or more.<div><br></div>

Found it, have it, contact me to see if there's a way I can get this to you or get you to it.<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Steve</div>

Before the RTR last year I did a poll on vandwellers the Yahoo group asking what people priorites were for a gathering. By far most people wanted Cell and Internet connection in camp and didn't want to have to drive to far to town. I think where we were was an excellant balance since we were only 4 miles from town and had a good cell/internet signal. My preference would have been further out and more isolated, but This spot was a great compromise. <br><br>If you want seclusion you can camp a mile away and not be able to see any other RVs, but you also won't have cell reception. My favorite spot is 17 miles out of town under a big Ironwood tree. I love that spot. But no cell reception and a long drive to town. If you are coming and want to avoid the crowds, come the first week. The second week is when the Big Tent RV Show starts and the population around QZT hits its peak. I've heard there are more than a million people in RVs around town then. Traffic is generally terrible that weekend. The dates are January 10-24. Bob<br><br><br><br>