Battery to run a fridge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wasanah2 said:
DIY options?  What would they be?

This is a link to a Bob Wells video about my ice chest from the 2016 RTR.

I started with a pair of Rubbermaid tubs and insulated between them.  You could start with whatever cooler you have and add insulation to that, inside or outside.  A 4x8 sheet of polyiso is all I used.  I just bought another a month ago and the price is still $10.  My Home Depot only has the 1/2 inch.  You may be able to find thicker sheets.  That would make for fewer cuts and less fitting together.  

The cans of spray foam have gone up from $5 to $6.  That stuff is a nasty mess but, like it's name, it is Great Stuff.

Trebor English
The cans of spray foam have gone up from $5 to $6.  That stuff is a nasty mess but, like it's name, it is Great Stuff.
------------------------------------------
Does that kind of spray insulation lose that awful smell?  Last time I used it for insulating, it smelled awful.  If it retains the smell, I wouldn't want to use that kind of insulation.   The foam board wouldn't be as bad, but if the thing smells like a chemical factory, I won't use it. 

Your idea of using a tub within a tub is a good one!

John61CT said:
Very common on boats, custom ice boxes, very thick insulation high R-value is the key. Example thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188267

Look for posts by Rich Boren, aka SV THIRD DAY

Also OzeFridge and John Tully, aka ColdEh

I think I see it.  I'm thinking about ice houses.  The more insulation, the longer ice would last back in the days when they cut it off the lakes.  I think what I need is the biggest ice chest that I can fit in the rig and then put several layers of insulation along all sides and then see how long a hunk of ice lasts.  I found a place nearby (granted it's just near me now, once I leave it won't be nearby) that sells blocks of ice.  They also sell ice for sculptures and such, so you can even get huge ones.  Anyway I have a plan.  I'll assemble the parts and run a test.

Thanks!!!

Wasanaha,

I had not seen those 3 way portable fridges, they look interesting but they have a standing pilot light that burns a tiny amount of propane 24/7, so yes, you need ventilation in the vehicle. I do like the idea of not being dependent on solar, which means you can camp in thick forested areas or during cloudy winter days, and still have powered refrigeration for weeks.

So...within the context of this conversation, and your situation, here is an option for you:

Buy a good quality Yeti, Pelican, Engel, Ozark Trail, or Orca ice chest 'roto' cooler, (at least 55 quarts) and, as a standby ONLY...buy a small car seat style thermoelectric cooler for your meds and maybe some meat or veggies, whatever, in the event that you run out of ice and need to keep a few things cold as you drive back into town to re-rupply provisions and ice for the large 'roto' cooler.

Best of both worlds, and you will have a back-up plan in the event of loss of cooling due to loss of ice.

You cant run the thermo coolers for very long without the vehicle running, they will kill your battery in 6-12 hours, because they pull about 5 amps DC continuously, which is about the same amount of power as one headlight left on.

But they will run just fine plugged into the cigarette lighter while the engine is running.

You can consume food, meds, drinks, and ice, for a week or so, then toss the remaining meds and maybe some lunch meat or whatever in the thermo cooler, and make the trip back to civilization to re-supply.

Later on, if you want to camp/park for longer periods, a large portable solar system will probably be needed to sustain your lifestyle out there in the boonies...and by then you can sell the two coolers you have, and then upgrade.

As I said, its an option, and a reasonably priced one, with almost ZERO learning curve or installation.

Good luck!

tx2sturgis said:
You cant run the thermo coolers for very long without the vehicle running, they will kill your battery in 6-12 hours, because they pull about 5 amps DC continuously, which is about the same amount of power as one headlight left on.
Also more than a large compressor freezer continuously making ice, or much better, re-freezing polar tubes.

tx2sturgis said:
Wasanah,
buy a small car seat style thermoelectric cooler for your meds and maybe some meat or veggies, whatever, in the event that you run out of ice and need to keep a few things cold as you drive back into town to re-rupply provisions and ice for the large 'roto' cooler.

Best of both worlds, and you will have a back-up plan in the event of loss of cooling due to loss of ice.

My daughter has a thermoelectric cooler (Coleman Power Chill) sitting in my storage shed that I can borrow from her.   I can take that for backup if I have room for it.  I'm thinking of getting a hitch carrier for extra space.  I could store dry stuff in it when not in use.  I have a boatload of freeze dried food, so I'll be needing a dry storage container for it.

greetings,
on the brand of cooler we currently have it is a Cabela's Polar Cap 40qt and as stated we get 10 days of sub 40 degree temps when camping in the forests of the PNW. We put the regular cubed/crushed ice into two "Snap Fit" containers so the melted ice remains in the containers then we reuse the (melted clean) water for showers. A benefit of putting the ice in such a water tight container if you try your DIY idea/project is the DIY doesn't have to be water tight : )

Don't want to start a brand war but we went from YETI, to Engel Deep Blue, to Polar Cap. So far the overal features and robustness for our use goes to the Cabela's Polar Cap. If i were to want to experiment i would get the updated Pelican 50qt Elite Cooler < looks well thought out.

Thom

wasanah2 said:
I'm thinking of getting a hitch carrier for extra space.  I could store dry stuff in it when not in use. 

On keeping the thermo cooler outside on the hitchrack:

Remember most of those have some circuitry and a heat sink under the vented cover, so...rain and dust could cause it to be inoperable when you need it most.

But if you cover it with a kitchen trash bag, or some other type of cover, and secure that with bungees, it should be ok.

accrete said:
greetings,
on the brand of cooler we currently have it is a Cabela's Polar Cap 40qt and as stated we get 10 days of sub 40 degree temps when camping in the forests of the PNW. We put the regular cubed/crushed ice into two "Snap Fit" containers so the melted ice remains in the containers then we reuse the (melted clean) water for showers. A benefit of putting the ice in such a water tight container if you try your DIY idea/project is the DIY doesn't have to be water tight : )

Don't want to start a brand war but we went from YETI, to Engel Deep Blue, to Polar Cap. So far the overal features and robustness for our use goes to the Cabela's Polar Cap. If i were to want to experiment i would get the updated Pelican 50qt Elite Cooler < looks well thought out.

Thom
Thom, I must have missed that.  You get TEN DAYS in deep forest camping?  Holy moly, I've got to get yours.  See that would get me to the 7-14 day sweet spot that I'm going for.  By the time it melts, I'll have to go into town anyway for supplies.  I'm the sort of person who likes to set up camp and stay there and make home in one spot until I have to leave.  For "Snap Fit" are you referring to the containers that have like snap flaps on all four sides?   How big are yours?  Since you use 2, they must be bigger ones.  I like your reuse of the melted ice too.