Battery to run a fridge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Yes propane fridge works great, but usually not much good on 12V, very inefficient, totally unsuitable for solar.

So get it and the contents cold on shore power, put on 12V for maintenance only while driving.
Then turn on the propane when you set up camp, make sure it's level, don't run propane while travelling.

But IMO if you take on the boondocking lifestyle you'll likely find you need solar power anyway, and the compressor fridge really is **so** much more efficient. . .

John, I'm so clueless about what I need as far as solar and such that I'm going to need a lot of time to figure it out.  So if the 3 way fridge will get me out sooner, I'm wanting to do that.  I could do as you say.  Run it on shore power when able, 12 V for the trip and switch to Propane when I arrive.    I did see the manual online, and they go into a lot of detail about making sure the thing is level before running it on propane and of course not running it while running the vehicle.

When I have the solar saved up for and purchased, I can start to shop for a good 12 volt fridge that's efficient.  I'm really hoping to get out faster, which in the long run will maybe cost me more but it's worth it to me to get out faster.

I saw on a youtube that a guy had on his hitch one of those hitch carriers and on it he had a locked metal tool box with holes in the bottom for ventilation.  In there he kept his solar battery and a propane bbq tank.  I have a hitch receiver on my rig, so I could maybe get something like that that takes the propane tank out of the vehicle for extra safety.  I already own a lockable metal toolbox that a tank would fit in too.  Those smaller hitch carriers aren't too much.  Then when I go to solar, I can get rid of the bbq tank and use it solely to house the solar battery.

Could you recommend a book or something online that explains how solar works and what exactly you need to buy and what kind of batteries and such?  I'll save for a system.   But I still like forest camping the best.  If I go that way, I'd probably go with the suitcase kind of solar so I can park in the shade.

Yes, makes sense, long as you're OK with maybe eventually having an extra fridge.

**Don't** put a gas bottle in with anything electrical!

Google for terms like

solar 12V battery-bank
howto beginner 101

Reading lots of old threads here and other more solar specific forums helps, googling unfamiliar terms, asking detailed questions

Soon you'll be an expert.

Others may have more specific reference resources

wasanah2 said:
Here is the fridge I've been looking at, but at a local supplier:  I don't know if links work, but I'll give it a try.

https://bensdiscountsupply.com/uniq...ropane-12v-110v-camouflage-2-0-cu-ft-ugp-55l/

It's only 57 lbs which is lighter than a lot of 3 way ones.   Are you sure this wouldn't work well on a solar system?

Neither the three-way refrigerators nor the 12v refrigerators are cheap.  You will save money in the long run by getting a solar panel (even a suitcase would work) and buying a good battery/controller system.  I have 200 watts of solar and only have a problem if I park under a tree for several days and also run the inverter for several hours.  When I was researching refrigerators I found one guy that said he could run his frig for three days before his battery ran low (don't remember any of the specifics about which frig or battery size).  These are super-efficient devices and really, why would you want to add the hassle of leveling your vehicle every time you park?

> Are you sure this wouldn't work well on a solar system?

Well with a huge enough setup, efficiency doesn't matter so much.

To be honest I doubt that model will work at all well, when it gets very hot, might not even keep the beer cold.

Beyond being grossly inefficient electrically.

IMO throwing your money away.

Listen if solar complexity is holding you back, get a good battery bank for $180, a little portable inverter generator which you'll likely need anyway and a good compressor fridge.

If you can make the bank last say a couple years, not so bad right?

Then get a better quality one after it dies, you'll have got the solar part figured out by then, make the next bank last maybe ten years!

Solar isn't nearly as intimidating as you think it will be.  Panels plug into a controller, controller plugs into a battery.  That's essentially it.  Get a kit that comes with a controller and that's all the mental energy you need to use to get started.  Really.  I've been through this and it is super easy to get started.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase/

Describes how simple it is

wasanah2 said:
 I could easily burn a tank of gas in a week just sitting in paradise. overland on a long trip, that would be a viable solution.  Thanks, that's one thing the video didn't cover!  An important thing!!

Right, remember, he didn't live in his car, he just took trips. So sitting for 2-3 days in one place was very unusual. 

Ironically, he was in my camp this week and we shot a new video to cover changes he's made--some really good ones!

He was here for 3 days and said that was as long as he ever stayed anywhere!

I think you have a great plan! If refrigeration is the thing holding you back and getting a three-way fridge gets you out there--go for it!

A big concern I have is ventilation. Built in propane firdges have ventilation, and you will have to be very careful to make sure you have enough.

Another big concern is that the one you linked to a no-name unit. That would concern me that it turns out to be Chinese Junk. Aren't there any small name-brand 3 way fridges at a reasonable rate?

I answered my own question! Here is a screaming deal!! It's a Dometic 3-way portable propane fridge for $329, 35 quart.
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/waeco-ca-35-gas-fridge

I'm tempted to order one myself! If I were you, I'd order it tonight!

However, I'd suggest you download the manual first and see what it needs for ventilation and be sure you can give it to it.

As long as you're in Australia, their shore power is 240V, if you're in the US do look for a model adapted for the US market.

But yes, Dometic (Waeco) is a very well respected worldwide brand, in fact the OEM for many relabelling marketers, like the Max Burton compressor unit sold at such a great value price a while ago.

Just know that the 12V inefficiency issue is inherent to the "absorption fridge" design, so no matter how great the build quality that issue remains.

Also "cooling capacity up to 25°C below ambient" at the best of times.

But if you can make do with those limitations, using it as you outlined should be great for boondocking; propane will let you save your electricity for all the other loads.

akrvbob said:
Right, remember, he didn't live in his car, he just took trips. So sitting for 2-3 days in one place was very unusual. 

Ironically, he was in my camp this week and we shot a new video to cover changes he's made--some really good ones!

He was here for 3 days and said that was as long as he ever stayed anywhere!

Yes, I can see his set up worked great for him, but for wanting to stay in one place 7-14 days, that second battery idea isn't going to work for me...that was my initial query.  I wondered if I would have to re-generate that battery sitting still.  

I'm very wary of the solar because of several things.  The biggest is that the type of camping I like to do (forest, the deeper the better) means I'm going to have a lack of sunshine and no guarantee of a clearing for solar.  Plus I don't particularly understand solar (yet).   It won't do to just get a kit because I KNOW there's more to it than that.  Choices of panels and batteries, maintaining them, cleaning panels and figuring out the best way to do it all have to be considered--not to mention the space the extra batteries and panels and everything will take.  It might cost me more in the long run, but I think I'm going to go for the tiny 3 way fridge and run it on propane at camp so I can leave sooner rather than later.  I know I have to level my vehicle to run it, but I'd be doing that anyway.  I like to sleep level. 

The sooner I can leave this place where it's costing me over 1K a month just for rent, the faster I'll be able to save for more of the bells and whistles out of my early retirement.  It blows my mind when I think of what I can save by not paying my huge electric bill too.  It's just that I can't save anything living where I am.  Personally, I could try to do without the refrigeration, but I have medication that requires it.  Oh I WISH I had found you all earlier.  I was always a person who loved to camp and did so my entire life, but I never in my wildest dreams considered I could live out of my vehicle.  It never entered my mind.  But when I see all those people on Bob's channel and seeing how FREE they are (and many of you here are too),  I just can't wait to get out there myself.  When I get to that place, I should be able to really see a bump in my savings, and then if I want, I can add solar if I think it would make a difference in the type of camping I do.

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone!!

akrvbob said:
I think you have a great plan! If refrigeration is the thing holding you back and getting a three-way fridge gets you out there--go for it!

A big concern I have is ventilation. Built in propane firdges have ventilation, and you will have to be very careful to make sure you have enough.

Another big concern is that the one you linked to a no-name unit. That would concern me that it turns out to be Chinese Junk. Aren't there any small name-brand 3 way fridges at a reasonable rate?

I answered my own question! Here is a screaming deal!! It's a Dometic 3-way portable propane fridge for $329, 35 quart.
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/waeco-ca-35-gas-fridge

I'm tempted to order one myself! If I were you, I'd order it tonight!

However, I'd suggest you download the manual first and see what it needs for ventilation and be sure you can give it to it.

Unfortunately that price is in Australian dollars and I think shipping would be a bear.  Not only that but it runs on 240, not 110.   The unit I put in my link is UNIQUE brand from Canada and I talked to the manufacturer, which seems to be a small company, which still likely means it has Chinese parts, but they do offer a warranty at the local place that has that unit in stock.  As far as ventilation, I will follow the directions and if it means poking a hole in my rig, I'll do it.  I don't close up my vehicle either.  Also I live in FL now and will be out and around the SE and probably in FL in winter, so I'll have my windows open with my no see um screening in them for additional ventilation. 

I thought of getting an EZ up and putting it outside under that, but with forest wildlife, it's not a good plan.  One thing I could do is if all is pretty frosty in there when I go to bed, I could turn off the propane while I sleep (when it's the coolest of the day) and relight it in the morning.

akrvbob said:

Well, I read the manual and hit a snafu.  The directions say it has to be run on propane OUTSIDE.  How do you do that when you're living in your vehicle?  I wonder why!  I mean campers have propane fridges in them.  What do they have that my car doesn't or can't have?  It has to be 6" from the back and have nothing under it like carpet and nothing sitting on top of it.  I have room for that.   Do I have to buy a heavy camper fridge to get one that can be used indoors?  I can give it ventilation.  I can even blow a battery op O2 fan on it.  I can also carry a carbon monoxide sniffer.  Any ideas?

I realize there are many peeps that don't like the old-fashioned idea of an ice cooler...
but...
My wife and i LOVE THEM!
Yes we can park in the forest in the shade
Yes we spend a whopping ~$2.50 on ice a week~
Yes we have the things we need cool for up to 10 days at sub 40 degree temps

No we don't drink beer.

Our 40qt high quality cooler works perfect for our simple lifestyle.
: ) Thom

PS... just remembered... we also recycle the water for use in our showers (the ice is placed in snap-fit containers and stays clean)

wasanah2 said:
Well, I read the manual and hit a snafu.  The directions say it has to be run on propane OUTSIDE.  How do you do that when you're living in your vehicle?  I wonder why!  I mean campers have propane fridges in them.  What do they have that my car doesn't or can't have?  It has to be 6" from the back and have nothing under it like carpet and nothing sitting on top of it.  I have room for that.   Do I have to buy a heavy camper fridge to get one that can be used indoors?  I can give it ventilation.  I can even blow a battery op O2 fan on it.  I can also carry a carbon monoxide sniffer.  Any ideas?

They have vents that run up the roof. same with the furnace. combusted fuel fumes have to go outside.

accrete said:
I realize there are many peeps that don't like the old-fashioned idea of an ice cooler...
but...
My wife and i LOVE THEM!
Yes we can park in the forest in the shade
Yes we spend a whopping ~$2.50 on ice a week~
Yes we have the things we need cool for up to 10 days at sub 40 degree temps

You know something?  I'm beginning to think an ice cooler might be the best choice after all.  I'm going to spend way more money than I want to if I get solar panels and/or the 3 way fridge set up where I have to worry if it's vented enough.  Talk about sleeping with one eye open!

I see what Bob means when he says regarding our rigs and what we carry, that it's a matter of choices.  You might have to give up something to get something else with your set up.  I just can't imagine camping in the sun or in the desert at all.  I would be miserable.  And in those places, the solar panels work great.  I like to camp in the east, and I love the Allegheny mountains, the mountains of N. Carolina, and the Appalachian Trail and the gorgeous Adirondacks and the perfectly warm winters of Florida, and those desires have outweighed my hope to stay in one place from 7 to 14 days so I don't have to get ice. 

I have a cooler, but it's not an expensive one.  You've had good success with your ice chest.  What kind do you have?

Do you have better luck with blocks of ice or dry ice?  I saw that my local grocery store sells dry ice.  I've never used it before.

Thanks!

I found block ice in Maine and it was awesome! I didn't find any outside of Maine through S Carolina and I needed ice daily if I wanted our stuff to stay cold. I'm going to go with an AC/DC fridge, a battery, and at least a small amount of solar. I also have a generator, so I could charge the battery that way if need be. When I camped in Pennsylvania with a cooler, I spent 10.00 a week on ice!

ValerieP said:
I found block ice in Maine and it was awesome! I didn't find any outside of Maine through S Carolina and I needed ice daily if I wanted our stuff to stay cold. I'm going to go with an AC/DC fridge, a battery, and at least a small amount of solar. I also have a generator, so I could charge the battery that way if need be. When I camped in Pennsylvania with a cooler, I spent 10.00 a week on ice!

Valarie, what kind of cooler do you have?   I dont' know if I can get block ice either, but I do know where to get dry ice.   My ancient Coleman cooler wouldn't go through a bag of ice in a day.  During my trial run that ended a few days ago, I was able to get 3 days out of a large bag and then I had to go back and buy another one.  It was kept in the shade with blankets on it and around it.   I've heard Yeti makes a cooler that works well with keeping ice.  I'll step up and buy one if it really makes a difference.

I can't imagine having to buy ice daily!  That would hardly be freedom!

Pelicans are better value than Yeti.

Google both you'll find competitive reviews.

Also DIY options

I'm not sure the brand, but it was about 50.00 when I bought it. I've since given it away. I'm sure there are better ones out there. In Pennsylvania i camped where I had power, do I bought a fridge, and the block ice stayed for days in Maine.

John61CT said:
Pelicans are better value than Yeti.

Google both you'll find competitive reviews.

Also DIY options

DIY options?  What would they be?

Never heard of Pelicans but will research them.  Thank you!