battery powered

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingriver

Reaction score
I was looking at an agm battery ( <a target="_blank" href="http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.batteries.sun_xtender_batteries_12v.2580l.info.1.html">this one</a> ) and was <u>wondering what it means by 8 hour rate and 100 hour rate</u> b/c my plan is to fill the roof of my box truck with solar panels so I need tons of power storage b/c I will be staying in the north west so sunlight is hard to come by. and I will have a fridge and freezer full time. with ps3 and tv. desktop and screen. so I need some major power and even more storage lol<br>

If you discarge a battery too fast, you get less useable power from it.&nbsp; The 8-hour rate is for discharging in 8 hours, the 100-hour rate is for discharging in 100 hours.&nbsp; I think the normal amp-hour rating for lead-acid batteries is the 20 hour rate.<br>

My 2 8d agm batteries are rated for 255 AH at the 20 hr. rate. Which means I can discharge them to 50% before I have to re-charge. Primarily for boondocking off the grid, It takes a week to suck these down with about 10 hrs. of TV (36 inch flat screen) and various 12 volt and fluorescent lights.That means I have a total of 255 AH I can use. You might want to check out "Managing 12 volts" by Harold Barre. A book that I found very useful.