Battery layout and number of

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came back to edit the last post but missed.

I reread Lifeline AGM manual.  They take a 3 stage charger, although I did read about conditioning. So still a lil cornfused

Sorry for burning up all this bandwidth.

Thanks, John.  I did have a passing thought that they were trying to convince the public.

I'm pretty much stuck with a 100aH Gr 27 size.  The AGM is a bit smaller than Flooded.

The set up I am building is, 100w solar, 20a MPPT controller, -  searching for a 100 aH battery and proper charger, hopefully with appliance load capability while charging.

There's a 3-minute, 18-second segment in this video that elaborates on the solar & battery components. Given the nature of his power needs, I wonder if anything he did might be useful in the decision-making process?

The relevant time-stamp where that segment begins is at the 1-minute, 58-second mark (continuing to the 5-minute, 16-second mark).

This link should start the video at the beginning of that segment: This is a Fully Solar Powered Electric VW Bus.

Are you **sure** your usage is less than 50AH per day max? How do yo know?

Really this is the lowest priced acceptable option, try to make it fit:

> two 6V FLA GC2s from Sam's Club.  ~$86 each, 200+amp-hours.

Yes.  I'm sure.  Thank you though.
I'm just a weekend warrior.  Still have a day job.  Whether solo or with a crowd, I, We, get out once a month.

Might be without shore power for 30 hrs during a weekend outing.  Small portable 2 way fridge/freezer and a coupla lights.

Usually started the ice chest tempering on a Wednesday, now its the ac/dc fridge, by plugging into shore power.
Aux battery charges off the alternator while driving to the campground.  Friday afternoon to Sunday morn is it.  
Then back to the salt mine Monday morn.

I have to worry more about cargo weight than length of time away from home.  It's a VW with 85 hp.

OK, completely different from more regular use. Make sure keep them topped up if you go more than a couple weeks between trips.

So, I'd say go with a single pair of those GC2s, but if you get well below 50% most trips, understand they might only last a few years rather than the dozen or so they would otherwise. :cool: