Battery explosions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> <p class="MsoNormal">People seldom have problems with batteries but don’t realize that they can be bomb going off in their face. Since working with many different batteries from 6 to 48 volts I have seen several of them blow up. What I will explain will most closely pertain to lead acid (wet) cell batteries since that is what most of my experience is with though all batteries could be dangerous.</p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp; </span>The wet cell battery electrolyte solution contains sulfuric acid and when charging or discharging produces HYDROGEN gas. It produces a very small amount is not usually a problem unless the battery is going bad and gasses heavily. This gassing will tend to make the battery hold down hardware and terminal connections corrode and white deposits will form. The explosions happen in two ways. They can occur from external or internal ignition sources. External sources are caused by touching the positive and negative posts together with a wrench or other conductor or by touching a wrench between the positive terminal and the vehicle frame or ground. When removing battery cables always remove the negative cable first and connect it last.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp; </span>Connecting a wire to the terminal while a load is on that wire will cause arcing also. Even a cigarette could ignite the hydrogen gas. This is why there is a proper way to jump start vehicles. The last negative cable connection should be made to the engine away from the battery. If a spark occurs, it’s not near the battery. <span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp;</span>Then stay away from the battery. Never lean over it.</p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp;</span>The other way that ignition can occur is inside the battery. If the post to grid plate becomes cracked or separated at any point it will have the potential to arc when a load is applied to the battery. When the terminals are cleaned or terminals are repeatedly removed and installed the twisting or tilting force can damage the post to grid connection.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">One of the <span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp;</span>explosions I experienced was caused by post to grid plate <span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp;</span>damage on a new Trojan 6 volt battery. Someone had installed the new batteries and returned the vehicle to service. It wouldn’t go fast and kept quitting so the drivers kept messing with the wiring and snooping around where they shouldn’t<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp; </span>be. They finally brought it in when it would barely move. I connected a voltmeter near the controller and started to go back and forth when suddenly one of the batteries exploded. The whole top of the battery was gone. Plastic pieces hit a 40 foot high ceiling and landed 30 feet away.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp; </span>The connector bar was cracked. Ideally you should be wearing a full face shield when working with batteries. I know it seems like overkill and silly but it’s scary when you see the battery afterwards. Let’s ponder the outcome IF it did happen to you, sulfuric acid and plastic buried in your face or eyes. Let’s make it even worse, let’s say it happens in a remote area with little water for flushing the eyes. Not good.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">&nbsp;&nbsp; Don't be afraid of batteries just learn how to properly deal with them. &nbsp; </span>The explosion warning on the battery is in small print but it means a lot.</p>

my brother in law light himself a cigarette in front of a batterie from a big semie running, and the batterie exploded in his face, it &nbsp;blew like a12 gauge shotgun in his face, since then i inform myself about batteries and what they could do....freemind46

Thanks for the reminder, DDC. I had a friend whose father blew up a battery in the mid 80s while smoking and working on his car.