Battery choice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the info within this thread and all the others, everywhere, I believe that for my first battery, considering (all) things, I have narrowed my choice down to a 4D 12v AGM. On multiple levels and for multiple reasons, this type and style will suit the present need(s) and requirements quite nicely.
Many thanks to all of you for continued input within all the threads in the , Electrical forum.

I would limit 4D AGM Choices to those by Lifeline and Full River or Eastpenn/Deka and Northstar.

The prices of the brands above, compared to the 4d AGM hits on Amazon, which are primarily designed for UPS services, might have you rethink the choice.

Most of the UPS brands are not really for deep cycle usage, rated for only~ 200 cycles to 50%. Fine for a UPS that is unlikely to need that many cycles throughout its normal lifespan, but extremely inadequate for a RV battery deeply cycled often.

That was included in the juggling equation. This RV sits on the side of the house for eleven months a year.
I don't want wally world GC-2's. I don't want FLA's due to location.
I will and can entertain the AGM. I will avoid the ups type.
Cost isn't a concern. A coupla good FLA 6v can equal the cost of a good 12v AGM as far as I have been finding with similar results for my needs with this rig. It's just a weekend warrior. But next time..... we're going all out. Go big or go motel 6 !!

No doubt Full River makes a good deep cycle AGM

If you will be plugged in 11 months a year, the proposed float voltage of the Charging source, is more important than the absorption voltage for the 1 month of deep cycling.

The PD 92xx series of converters matchess pretty well with Lifeline voltage specs, at least at 77f.

Ideal, is a temp compensated charging source, but these are $,$$$.00

Lifeline are Made in USA. Full River are made in China

Lifeline have extremely low self discharge, in case you'd rather just unhook battery for X amount of months rather than worry about float charging.