Battery Charge/Discharge Monitor w/ Remote Display

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuneElliot

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations of battery monitors that will tell me the level of charge I am at, and maybe the rate of discharge/charge if that's a thing, that also comes with remote display I can mount inside the fifth wheel so I don't have to go outside to look.

I am also looking at the Trimetic, good reviews, reasonably priced. highdesertranger

They've also got a solar 30A PWM that hooks into the Trimetric uses its input to regulate charging.

I like the look of the Pentametric for more shunts, but no solar.

DuneElliot said:
Looking for recommendations of battery monitors that will tell me the level of charge I am at, and maybe the rate of discharge/charge if that's a thing, that also comes with remote display I can mount inside the fifth wheel so I don't have to go outside to look.

I have a Trimetric 2030 RV.  It has a remote that should be mounted where you can see it easily inside your camper.  If you are new to living off batteries like I am monitoring amps helped teach me how to use battery power smartly and gave me confidence that I am generating more power than I use.  I highly recommend it.

I looked at the SmartGauge when I bought the Trimetric and besides the difference in cost, the trimetric gives me more information on the state of my system.

-- Spiff

The Smart Gauge does not give useful readings when charging, only discharging, from what I read about it.

The battery monitor is a wonderful learning tool, learngin how much one is using at any particular moment, what the chargeing sources are contributing, how many amp hours are have been consumed, how many from full.

And of course voltage. One gets to see battery voltage under X amount of load with XX amount of AH removed, and as the battery ages one can usually see the voltage drop more and more comnpared to when new.

< however my Northstar AGM is defying this appearance of aging, when looking at voltage.
Right Now my single 90 AH AGM battery with ~485 deep cycles is 12.8v under as 2.7 amp load and is claiming 17Ah from full. My 198 watts of solar got it to within 3Ah of full today. This was the third day of solar only sunny all day charging and ~50% overnight discharges. Frankly, I was expecting to see 12.7v, battery must still be warm.

Just checked, not really 67.8f.

I do not look at the % remaining screen. I have mine now set to 80AH capacity when my battery is rated at 90AH. Without performing a 20 hour capacity test I do not really know how many AH my battery is. It cannot be 90 anymore, not at 485 Deep cycles and 39 months of age, but I think it is still over 80.

For the % remaining screen to be accurate, the AH capacity must be programmed correctly, and without an accurate 20hour capacity test, one can only guess.

I installed the Trimetric SC-2030 charge controller and Trimetric TM-2030 battery meter. I have full confidence in my solar charging setup. I know what is going on with the batteries at any given time. The combo of both controller and meter work together to give, in my opinion, excellent charging and monitoring of the batteries. I run a 65 qt Dometic fridge freezer 24/7 as well as lights and all charging of laptop, phone, and camera batteries. My battery bank is two 6v golf car batteries.

I have spoken over the phone to Ralph at Bogart Engineering. He is the engineer who developed these items and lives in an off grid house on solar. That alone speaks volumes.

I have also spoken with Handy Bob by phone and he has done extensive testing of many solar components. For a small solar setup as you would find on most vans/rv's I don't think you can do better than this combo of controller and meter.

Just my 2 cents on what I have researched and read.

I don't care what you decide to use but it is well worth the time to read HandyBobs info to at least get a good understanding of batteries and charging.

Again, my 2 cents worth of opinion.

SternWake said:
The Smart Gauge does not give useful readings when charging, only discharging, from what I read about it.

It becomes less accurate then, by around 4-5%, but still more so than shunt-based meters 95% of the time, the exceptions being with expert users immediately after calibrating with a 20 hour test.

To me, easier, to just switch charging off briefly if I want to get the more accurate reading.

And it's not either/or, I would still want the latter for tracking the amps in and out, horses for courses.

Some prefer a hydrometer for SoC snapshots, crude except looking for 100%, but obviously cheaper.

SternWake said:
I do not look at the % remaining screen. I have mine now set to 80AH capacity when my battery is rated at 90AH. Without performing a 20 hour capacity test I do not really know how many AH my battery is. It cannot be 90 anymore, not at 485 Deep cycles and 39 months of age, but I think it is still over 80.

For the % remaining screen to be accurate, the AH capacity must be programmed correctly, and without an accurate 20hour capacity test, one can only guess.
No, if you're willing to spend the money, you just put in a SmartGauge and let it observe 12-20 cycles.

It is the **only** monitor that accurately and **automatically** accounts for the walk-down in capacity over time in its realtime SoC readings.

That was the main takeaway from the Enersys white paper and Maine Sail's testing, and why the technology was bought by Merlin and has been so widely adopted by emergency services and military customers.

To me there's no question that SG is the bee's knees for lead-based bank SoC. In a solar setup having faith in it's accuracy before and after the day's charging would be very helpful in keeping things optimized. **Along with** the shunt-based coulomb count logging. . .

Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like the Trimetric would be the way to go

Emailed NAWS but didn't get a response so finally called them. Lots of help and I think I got the right thing ordered...now the only thing left to order is the actual solar system itself, everything else is already installed or on its way.

I have a similar question.  Is there one battery monitoring device that can control the charge from either solar or shore power plus monitor the batteries?  My reasoning is that if I see the solar is not supplying enough energy I could turn on my small inverter/generator and charge the batteries.  I don't want to connect and disconnect wires to the battery.

Thank you

Bogart Trimetric + SC-2030 is relatively inexpensive great monitor + good PWD solar, but no shore coordination.

I believe the all-in-one systems from the likes of Victron, MasterVolt, Redarc are only available at the high end, starting in the thousands.