Battery Box location?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vtwinkicker said:
Here's another vid of the van battery box and how it was constructed.

Uh, darn. You got up. I was going for the wallet. Just to ID you of course. :)

Yep that's an ideal setup.

If you had say 2-3 pairs for greater capacity, multiple compartments could be joined by thick wiring, just a little challenge to get them all the same length to keep things in balance.

John61CT said:
The stress of worrying about such things is far more harmful than the things you're worrying about.

not stressed, just smart enough to ask some basic questions.  I'm curious, not fearful.  I agree that fear and anxiety about subtle issues can be a big distraction from larger issues that would clearly move our agendas forward.

That is a really nice way to store your batteries. I'm still planning on where to install mine. My Chevy Express is NOT the LWB version, so I'm not sure if I could do what you did. Can't wait to crawl under there and start looking around. I do want them behind the driver seat. Thanks for the video share VT!

There is no EMF danger from DC or AC systems in your van.

There is a huge danger of batteries flying at you at 60 MPH in a head on collision! The amount of force exerted by lead acid batteries in such a situation is enough to easily kill you.

Secure your batteries to the frame with steel (or extruded aluminum if you know what you are doing) in such a way that even subjected to hundreds of thousands of pounds of force they won’t move.

Even better a situation where if they do move in a collision you’re not in their path.

Here’s the math: http://www.experts.com/Articles/The-Physics-Of-Collision-By-Gary-R-Kilpatrick-And-Associates-PA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I get in serious accident in my van, I'm going to have a literal van-load of construction materials and supplies flying at me. The batteries on the floor behind my driver's seat are probably less of a concern than the rest. YMMV.

suzanne said:
not stressed, just smart enough to ask some basic questions.  I'm curious, not fearful.  I agree that fear and anxiety about subtle issues can be a big distraction from larger issues that would clearly move our agendas forward.

You are wise to be aware! LessEMF.com has most information and many products: some are very good, the best. They are the cheapest and the ultimate source. All have different ranges and characteristics, but most of it is not good for your health: it's only good for the fat man's wallet. The Li-ion vendor said what I thought, Lead Acid is harmful and li-ion is not, or not significantly. I'll keep researching, but all indications are it is less than Lead-Acid anyway which is almost common sense. Athletes tour constantly on Li-ion rv's frequently, and I know of none with over 500 lbs of Lead acid batteries sloshing around: as an indirect proof, temporarily.

Hold your left palm up to it without touching it physically, but be very still. If you feel energy on your left hand, it's not good!

HumbleBeginnings said:
If I get in serious accident in my van, I'm going to have a literal van-load of construction materials and supplies flying at me.

It might be worth considering a sliding wall between the drivers position and the rest of the van. Good for insulation and all that—. But what I’m saying is make it super solid.

The forces in this kind of situation are not to be under estimated... and airbags only protect the front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

breeze said:
The Li-ion vendor said what I thought, Lead Acid is harmful and li-ion is not, or not significantly. I'll keep researching, but all indications are it is less than Lead-Acid anyway which is almost common sense.

This is absolutely scientifically nonsense. You talked about that you would keep researching, I suggest you read up on the physics of electricity, just the basics, but realize you are not a magnet. Electricity, even AC has no indirect power over you. Beware of high voltage high current lines, but don’t worry about EMF.

The sun floods you with more radiation than all the cell towers in the world, and you RV battery puts out, quite literally, none.

With religion I can respect that religious people believe things that can’t be proven- they also can’t be disproven. The idea that DC current systems have a negative impact with biological creatures without contact is disproven.

The thing to ask in order to understand the difference between science and fear mongering is for the mechanism of operation. If it does something, how does it do it? This will quickly show the fallacies because the fear mongers will never give a precise answer— but will happily sell you solutions that magically fix it!

Technomad said:
This is absolutely scientifically nonsense.   You talked about that you would keep researching, I suggest you read up on the physics of electricity, just the basics, but realize you are not a magnet. Electricity, even AC has no indirect power over you.  Beware of high voltage high current lines, but don’t worry about EMF.

The sun floods you with more radiation than all the cell towers in the world, and you RV battery puts out, quite literally, none.

With religion I can respect that religious people believe things that can’t be proven- they also can’t be disproven.   The idea that DC current systems have a negative impact with biological creatures without contact is disproven.

The thing to ask in order to understand the difference between science and fear mongering is for the mechanism of operation.  If it does something, how does it do it?  This will quickly show the fallacies because the fear mongers will never give a precise answer— but will happily sell you solutions that magically fix it!

IGNOREd

I have not researched this EMF stuff at all.
But I can tell you that I worked as a construction inspector on the MTA Red line subway between Los Angeles and North Hollywood, CA in the '90s. As part of my duty I worked with the engineer doing cathodic protection on all the iron utility piping in the soil above the tunnels. The trains run on DC current. The magnetic fields generated by the third rail DC current would quickly deteriorate the Iron pipes unless the cathodic protection devices were installed properly onto the pipes.

Last week my doctor informed me that I am not anemic, that is, the iron levels in my blood are good.

Make of this what you wish.

Thanks everyone! I am going to put the batteries behind the driver's seat in a cabinet. But, this leads to more questions ...   :D

In what order do I install these items? Insulation, electric system, cabinet ...  :huh:

The floor will be in Saturday. Then what? If I put in the insulation first, then it's hard to run the wires. If I put in the cabinet first, then how do I insulate behind the cabinet? If I put in the electrical system first, then where do I house the components if I don't have a cabinet? ARGH!

I am probably suffering from over analysis (again) but I'm struggling. Also, I am having others do the electrical/cabinet so I need to time the appointments correctly ... 

Thanks again for all your invaluable input.

A detailed plan of where everything's going helps, if not full-on CAD then Sketchup or at least paper.

Insulate first, if you don't put in wiring channels, leave accessible runs behind removable panels when you finish the inner skin.

Lighting, switches, fuseboxes etc need to planned and framed in, other "hidden utility" spaces before skinning. Take advantage of any available opportunities for storage, even if awkwardly shaped and difficult to access.

I prefer to make all cabinetry removable, but make sure everything is very well secured, so it doesn't move, even (especially) in a high-speed collision.

Heavier it is, like a battery bank, the more important that is, you might think the weight keeps it anchored but...