Banking without a permanent address.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobPeters61

Reaction score
The most promising idea I've yet found for an address while full-timing would be to get a UPS mailbox at a UPS Store location.  However, I recall that once in the mid 00's I took up residence in a skeezy hotel and when I transferred my bank account to that address my bank froze up my account right after getting my paycheck direct deposited and basically held my money hostage until I borrowed a relative's address to give them. No matter that such address was out of state.

The bank claimed that the "USA Patriot Act" required them to do so when a business address was given for an individual account.  I filed a useless complaint against them with the Federal Reserve characterizing the move as "tantamount to embezzlement," and once I unlocked my money by caving to their demand I made a withdrawal calculated to leave me with a balance of $0.01 from when my automatic payments for the month were done until I could later come by and close out the account. (Although I was tempted to leave the account open just to force them to keep up bookkeeping costs for a penny, but that's just not me.)

Afterwards, any time I had to hotel dwell I closed bank accounts and got a prepaid debit card instead.

I plan to get on Social Security while full-timing a few years from now and wonder if leftovers from that law could interfere with getting my SS money, and getting it direct deposited.

Anyone have relevant recent experience from which I might learn on such matters?

Oh, you are inviting trouble from social security....from time to time they will send you mail. If you fail to respond, they will discontinue monthly checks

Why not get a mail service? Register your RV in Florida thru one of the many mail services...they provide an address. Or Check out escapees... I think they are in Texas.

There are ways to deal with this.

Known commercial letterbox / mail forwarding service will not work as your legal **residential** address for many financial / insurance / government purposes. They match against a list so their database refuses to accept it. This will be more and more true in coming years, won't be allowed to be a citizen in good standing without a real residential address.

Get a stable friend or family member to let you use theirs.

Or an RV place, maybe one month's rent is enough.

There are also special places listed in other threads on this topic, some where you can actually build a shed.

Use that address consistently everywhere as your official residence, but make sure to tell every organization not to send any mail there.

It's no problem using UPS or other, letterbox service as your **mailing address**, as long as they have a valid **residential** address first.

I know the two RV services in Florida provide addresses. I got my drivers license via that address.

My banks, credit card, social security, etc has had no issue with it. It's been 3 years now that I have done this.

I do not have a friend that I could use. MY daughter is in Massachusetts .. do not want to be licensed and registered there! Friends in NY..ditto. Friends in NC. Same thing

I don't want to pay the income tax, and the onerous regIstration requirements. Plus...it is thousands of miles away, so going for inspections becomes serious money.

I thought about how to change over to some western state...but, I guess none of them have all the same advantages as Florida.

SS wants you to have direct deposit and they have some incentives to encourage that. SS has not questioned me or tried to deny payments for the six years I have been retired. SSI is a different game. The banking industry is subject to the laws of USA. You need a physical address.

BobPeters61 said:
The most promising idea I've yet found for an address while full-timing would be to get a UPS mailbox at a UPS Store location.  
They don't work anymore. The Real ID Act was designed specifically to stop people from using mail drops or mailboxes to get IDs or bank accounts.
You have to get an actual street address. Most of us will use a friend or relative's address.

VanKitten said:
I know the two RV services in Florida provide addresses.   I got my drivers license via that address.

It's not gonna work when you renew. The Real ID Act requires an actual street address, and documentary proof that you actually live there.

Yes it would be nice if gov bureaucracies gave a flying duck what we wanted, or listened to reason about our edge cases.

But they don't, it is up to us to get creative as to how to satisfy their demands without calling attention to our methods.

Like everything else in this country, It depends on what each state wants to do about it. See mandate below....

(Also) Try a search for Real ID followed by your State to get the most recent facts.
(And) My UPS Store gives you an address that is tied to your box # there. Mine costs me $150 a year. Stop in and talk to them for all the options they offer.
(Also) My on-line deliveries have no problem shipping to my address at the UPS Store. And no problems with banks/credit cards and SS.

"REAL ID is a mandate on Federal agencies, restricting the circumstances under which they may accept state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards for official purposes.  Participation by states is voluntary, although Federal agencies are prohibited from accepting driver’s licenses or identification cards from non-compliant states for official purposes (e.g., boarding aircraft, accessing federal facilities, and entering nuclear power plants)".

In Ohio;
Q: REAL ID does NOT apply to the following:
• Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
• Voting or registering to vote
• Applying for or receiving Federal benefits
• Being licensed by a state to drive
• Accessing Health or life preserving services (including hospitals and health clinics), law enforcement, or constitutionally protected activities (including a defendant’s access to court proceedings)
• Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations

Richard

Matlock said:
Like everything else in this country, It depends on what each state wants to do about it. See mandate below....
Well, every state is either already Real ID compliant, or has announced its intention to become so by 2020.

lenny flank said:
Well, every state is either already Real ID compliant, or has announced its intention to become so by 2020.

Florida has been Real ID compliant since 2010.

Florida also made provisions in their legislation for compliancy that allows RVrs and Marine residents to be both compliant and use their RV or boat registrations for residency.

For those interested here is one of the main residency/mail forwarding services that is available in Florida:

https://www.sbimailservice.com/become-a-florida-resident/#florida-vehicle-registration

I used them for a decade when I lived in the US and travelled but it was before the Real ID act came in to play so I didn't have all the hoops to jump through that are in place today.

I'm with MyRVMail in Crestview FL.

I was not able to get insurance with that address, though--the computer kicked me out and would not issue me a policy. So I ended up using my sister's address in Pennsylvania.

EDIT: My difficulty was that I am in a van, which is not legally an RV.

lenny flank said:
I'm with MyRVMail in Crestview FL.

I was not able to get insurance with that address, though--the computer kicked me out and would not issue me a policy. So I ended up using my sister's address in Pennsylvania.

EDIT: My difficulty was that I am in a van, which is not legally an RV.

Ahh. see that's the difference right there. If the van could be re-registered as an RV, you'd be clear and free.

Anyone with a Class B (which is a van) on up can do it.

I did it with my van here in BC where I couldn't do it in Ontario. In addition to having it properly insured now, it also saved me over 40% on my rates.

Almost There said:
Ahh. see that's the difference right there. If the van could be re-registered as an RV, you'd be clear and free.

Yep. To legally be an "RV", it has to have waste tanks and an external hookup.

lenny flank said:
Yep. To legally be an "RV", it has to have waste tanks and an external hookup.

I should be more clear here--that was the insurance company's requirement to insure the van as an RV. I don't know what Florida's legal definition of an "RV" is, or even if they have one.

When I lived in a hotel, the bank didn't let me access my money through them with a hotel address. But a Tennessee drivers' license I had already gotten in compliance to RealID laws, employment, health insurance through my employer, liability insurance on a car and a prepaid debit card allowed me to use one just fine. Not sure about mail forwarders, though.

Still a few years away from finding out about Social Security, but I do know that among the local homeless community one hears of some who are so inclined getting a "crazy check," or SSI mental disability check with help of a pro-bono lawyer contacted through a rescue mission, so there must be some homeless address available to draw Social Security.

I'm planning for a few years from now when I'll be old enough to draw early Social Security on which no available housing could be afforded. Therefore, vandwelling hopefullly in a smaller Class C RV is my plan A.

So basically, this looks like a challenge to keep claiming a current residence with a different mailing address to use at a mailbox company, or to use one in addition to a homeless shelter address, claiming the shelter as residence and the mailbox company as mailing address.

When I changed my residency to South Dakota four years ago, the DMV was happy to issue a DL with the my mail forwarder address, and Wells Fargo was happy to open an account using that address.

I am a member of the Escapee's club based in Texas...also have my mail service with them...according to their info. packet they have been approved by the state legislature as being a legal residence...it probably didn't hurt with the fact that I have lived in Texas for at least 10 years
and have an established bank account of more than 20 years with the same bank...
I have kept Texas as my home of record everytime I have lived out of state for short periods...I plan to go back to Texas once my traveling days are over...My SSDI and VA are direct deposited into my checking acct. and I can use my debit card at Walmart or any other store and get cash back if I need it...easy-peasy

Latest posts