Banking for free

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob91403

Reaction score
I looked around, and NOBODY else can touch this deal. I went into Wells Fargo and they set me up with a free checking/savings/debit card account. I had to put $100 in the account for two days. I could then remove it. As long as I have $25 in the account for two days a month it stays open, and it's FREE! They set up an automatic transfer of $25 from checking to savings one day, then from savings back to checking the next day. This is the monthly account activity needed for the free account. The rest of the month you can leave the account empty. Best deal EVER!

That is very cool of them to do that for you. I think more local banks are likely to work with you, but then of course that may not work well with much traveling. I have a free checking account that even earns interest, but my bank only has three locations in upstate SC.

Yeah, but how much do you have to keep in the account for it to be "free"? Everyone else wanted a $1000 balance for a "free" account.  My savings account bears interest. I just don't think I'll get much interest from having $25 in my account for only twelve days out of the year, lol.

I know, right? but mine has no minimum balance (thank God ) and was only $100 deposit to open, like yours. My bank is awesome. If you have at least 10 debit transactions, 1 automatic bill pay, and are signed up for e-statements, it earns 3.05%. That's better than most savings accounts are getting now. and if you don't meet those requirements, it still earns 1.25%!

Credit Union. Five bucks to open. Five dollar minimum balance. $1000 overdraft ($2 fee if used). No charge on debit card usage. Online banking. Great over the phone service. Everything free (except the overdraft charge). There are only branches in SW Ohio, and you must be a resident of on of the local counties to join. I'll bet, however, there are CUs all about that people can join. A CU is not a bank, but enjoys the same federal protections.

I really have no need to go to their physical locations. Income directly deposited, everything else handled automatically or else electronically..

Bank of America has an E-account that is free. The limitation is you can't use the stick and brick, there is a penalty if you do. But they have many, many branches all over the country and their ATMs are excellant, easy and safe to make deposits or get cash. Bob <br>

While your credit union does not have branches all over, there is a good chance they have agreements with other credit unions for the times you do need teller services, check deposits, etc.&nbsp; Pretty much all credit unions let you use any credit union atm free.&nbsp; However last year when I checked the closest free atm for my credit union to quartzsite was south of the slabs.<br>