Bad Apples on BLM Land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lj Unlimited

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about this?

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...xchanging-gunfire-with-colorado-blm-officers/

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (AP) — A man died after exchanging gunfire with Bureau of Land Management law enforcement officers in western Colorado.

Mesa County officials say two BLM rangers were checking on a white van parked on BLM property in the Bookcliffs area north of Grand Junction Sunday afternoon when the man fired at officers, hitting one in his protective vest. The officer was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
[size=large]One officer returned fire, killing the suspect. Mesa County officials say they’ll release his name after his family is notified.
[/size]

The names of the officers involved haven’t been released.

The shooting is being investigated by the 21st Judicial District Critical Incident Response Team.

Darn. I hate that. Headed there in a few weeks for our annual CO Trip. Peace and Love to everyone...

They're looking for any info from anyone who's been in a area for the last few days:

"The CIRT is seeking information about the white van and suspect involved in this incident. Anyone who saw or had contact with a white van in the area of the desert and 27 ¼ road in the last few days is asked to call the MCSO Witness Tip Line at (970) 244-3526."

Alas, any group of people has its share of shitheads.

:(

I've slept there, one night only. It is very close to town, it's primary advantage, and a heavily used OHV area.

Grand Junction, on I-70, gets a lot of traditional homeless from that corridor. The 'Welcome' Center staff at the west edge of town are a curious crew.

For me, this goes to 'the bigger the city the farther away you want to be' rule.

Here's a slightly more detailed story from the local paper, name of the deceased has not been released.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/breaking...cle_2e05f2d2-6215-11e8-987a-3be98dae1be6.html

I was in Moab mid November, 2010, the week before the Brody Young ranger shooting. I saw two incidents of mildly aggressive enforcement - officers shining headlights into my quiet and dark camp for a bit too long, and another officer sneaking up on a group of kids with a campfire.

http://www.moabsunnews.com/news/article_5a48ca9e-bad4-11e5-a7a6-57605dc32c73.html

Hi folks, I'm so glad that the forum is back up! 

This CAN"T be good for the van dwelling community, any one know what really happened?

"U.S.
Man dies after exchanging gunfire with Colorado BLM officers
The Washingtion Times Mon, May 28 10:44 AM CDT 

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (AP) - A man died after exchanging gunfire with Bureau of Land Management law enforcement officers in western Colorado. Mesa County officials say two BLM rangers were checking on a white van parked on BLM property in the Bookcliffs area north of Grand Junction

DLTooley said:
I've slept there, one night only.  It is very close to town, it's primary advantage, and a heavily used OHV area.

Grand Junction, on I-70, gets a lot of traditional homeless from that corridor.  The 'Welcome' Center staff at the west edge of town are a curious crew.

For me, this goes to 'the bigger the city the farther away you want to be' rule.

Here's a slightly more detailed story from the local paper, name of the deceased has not been released.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/breaking...cle_2e05f2d2-6215-11e8-987a-3be98dae1be6.html

I was in Moab mid November, 2010, the week before the Brody Young ranger shooting.  I saw two incidents of mildly aggressive enforcement - officers shining headlights into my quiet and dark camp for a bit too long, and another officer sneaking up on a group of kids with a campfire.

http://www.moabsunnews.com/news/article_5a48ca9e-bad4-11e5-a7a6-57605dc32c73.html
Thank you. I stayed there, last Summer. It appeared to be a place where one wants to be as alone as possible and not out in mid-desert, somewhere.

P.S. I wanted to read your Story I copied below but the Link is not there. Do you have a way? Thank you.
[font='trebuchet ms', verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Spring, When a Young Man, or Woman, Starts Thinking of Whitewater[/font]

Much better free camping west a couple hours off I-70. Lots of grafters in Grand Junction but in general a the best place for supplies before heading west. Camping up on the mesa or out side of town even the pay sites at Highline Lake is much better in my opinon.

I wonder why they need information on the van? Maybe the man in the van isn't the registered owner?

Does law enforcement see a lot of dangerous interaction with people on BLM Lands?

It got worse when Bush was in office - they sent the USFS and BLM guys to terrorism school at Langley. There are probably folks here who know the history better than I, but in some Districts you also had the problem with the old school tough white guy. I've met a couple of them, including in Court when I challenged my camping ticket.

I believe that area, around Durango in SW Colorado, has now established a warning before ticket policy, but I haven't seen the details. There are still management problems.

RowanFae said:
I wonder why they need information on the van? Maybe the man in the van isn't the registered owner?

Does law enforcement see a lot of dangerous interaction with people on BLM Lands?
I wonder?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

RowanFae said:
I wonder why they need information on the van?   Maybe the man in the van isn't the registered owner?  

Because they are investigating the attempted murder of one or more federal officers, that's why.  They probably know next to nothing about the guy and this is why they want people to reach out to them if they knew the guy.  Did he have any known issues (mental health or otherwise)?  Did other people have good/bad interactions with the guy?  Did he ever threaten anyone else?  Try to identify someone who may be a family member or friend, etc.

Could have been someone on the run. After all, it’s a pretty good setup for those who need to hide to keep moving and try not to be seen.

At the LTVA in Quartzsite this last winter very nearby there were a bunch of LEOs with lights zooming out there. We found out the next day they had been after a couple who were on the run for child molestation. It ended when they put a bullet to their own heads.

The BLM isn’t near any schools or other places where individuals on the sexual offender list could be banned from. Some have no recourse to be able to live in society anymore so take to the road and try to eek out some way to survive.

Unfortunately they all get lumped in one pile. I do know of one young man on the list who, as soon as he turned 18, the father of his 17 year old girlfriend turned him in for statutory rape. He was convicted and now faces a life of extreme poverty. He is unable to get a job.

I understand the need to protect people but don’t understand why a murderer or habitual thief or any number of other criminals aren’t on a public list but a kid like him is vilified for life.

Rangers do "wellness checks" on visitors when vehicles have set in one place for a long period of time or odd behavior has been observed either by a ranger or another person. Lots of times people that need help from a Ranger refuse it or just don't want any. A good example is an older guy goes for a hike falls is in pain but pushes on, people see him fall and offer help and water, sit with him while he rests and one eventually calls a ranger. Ranger checks him and tells him he needs medical assistance, he refuses and is capable of choose his own fate so ranger calls it in and lets him go. That is tough to do as a ranger knowing he may hurt or get hurt worse. He makes the couple mile hike and 3 hour drive to an emergency room to find he has several broken ribs and a punctured lung. Rangers have a difficult job to do in remote places and using a "wellness check" as a means to keep people safe even though limited can and does often result in finding someone stupid that maybe doing something unlawful, then it becomes dangerous for the ranger. A lot of the checks involve stupid people doing stupid things. Thank goodness he was wearing a vest and a utility belt with a weapon that weighs around 40 lbs. in 90 degree weather that will probably cause him to have a bad back in a few years. Welcome to the wild west.

DonnyHacker said:
Because they are investigating the attempted murder of one or more federal officers, that's why.  They probably know next to nothing about the guy and this is why they want people to reach out to them if they knew the guy.  Did he have any known issues (mental health or otherwise)?  Did other people have good/bad interactions with the guy?  Did he ever threaten anyone else?  Try to identify someone who may be a family member or friend, etc.

Yes, I understand their interest in investigating the crime.  I just wondered why they specifically said they were seeking information 'on the van'.  I guess if they were withholding the man's identity, they would ask about the van as they couldn't post images/descriptions of the man until his next of kin were notified.   I simply wondered if there was something specific about the van.  At any rate, I worked the logic out for myself.

RowanFae said:
I wonder why they need information on the van?   Maybe the man in the van isn't the registered owner?  

I have a friend who is a C.O. with the DNR here in Michigan. They do run into their share of people breaking the law on state lands. From illegal harvesting of natural resources to drug labs. I would imagine the same things happen on Federal Lands as well.

Yep, I would guess that running into drug mules and rolling meth labs and such is a pretty routine happening in BLM land.

I do recall hearing a statistic that National Park Service Rangers have a higher murder rate than FBI agents, since so many National Parks are centers for illegal activities.

DonnyHacker said:

And was he a part of a terrorist network. Might be a good idea to not make yourself known to authorities as having knowledge of the guy or the van.