back up camera

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05kas05

Reaction score
hey i was wanting to install some storage shelves and drawers in the back of my van but if i do i will be blocking the rear windows so i am looking at installing a back up camera do any of you use one or have any recommendations on one you might have used before.
i was hoping to find something that may be wireless if possible so i don't have to run wires from the back to the front.also would like to find one that mounts to the third eye brake light on top of the van. the license plate mount won't work i think because i will be using a bike rack and it will be blocking the view at least i would think guess i really need to mount it to find out for sure. well any suggestions either way are appreciated maybe i can mount it in another place.

I have a wired backup camera and it's a big help. My rear window is permanently blocked now and it has not been a problem. I don't know the brand - I just got the cheapest one on Amazon with reasonable reviews and got a 4" monitor to use with it. Buying them separately was actually cheaper than buying a set.

My mom has a wireless camera that gets power from the reverse lights so it comes on automatically when backing up. The only problem with that arrangement is that when it's off, the receiver randomly picks up signals from other sources like security and nanny cams so it's always flashing. I'd recommend having it always powered and have a switch on the monitor so you can turn it on/off yourself. That, or just get a wired one and run the wires. It's a bit of a hassle but you only have to do it once.

You can mount one to any metal surface on the van using self-drilling screws. Clean the area and apply a bunch of silicone glue to keep the holes sealed. If there is a flat spot on the brake light with some space inside for the screws to go you could probably do the same there.

I have a license plate backup camera on the van which I wired today in permanent fashion. It is connected to a 2-channel DVR unit which when fully set-up will record in a dash-camera style. I plan to soon acquire a wired pinhole camera for the front of the van for a front facing dash camera.

I have a backup cam named Margie. She spots for me backing up so I don't hit some fool that can't see this big box moving and hear the beeper. I can back up fine with mirrors.
They seem to be a pretty good safety measure tho.

Latest posts