Baby steps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toes

Reaction score
What's up everyone!

I just wanted to share my first ever DIY fix.
When I got my van, the 12v outlet didn't work. I took it to pep boys and they said it'd be 50 bucks to do an "electrical evaluation." So i decided instead to diagnose the problem myself and try and fix it myself. And here you can see the new 12v outlet installed and the gps in the background powered by said outlet!

I know it's not much, and it's really easy stuff, but this the first time I've done any kind diy car or electrical fixes. So I'm kinda proud of myself, and I wanted to share. :)

zJAMlFm.jpg

You should be proud! Just the willingness to try sets you above the crowd! Plus success on your first try? Bravo!
Bob

Yes, you should be proud! As Bob said, it just takes the willingness to try. You will be amazed at what you can do and save money at the same time. And as gsfish said, there is so much info on the internet, you can find out how to do almost anything. I have saved so much money fixing things on the RV part of my van that would have cost at least $100.00 for labor besides whatever part they thought it needed.

I'm not a mechanic but I have the service manual for my van downloaded on my laptop and I read a forum related to Sprinter vans regularly. The knowledge I have gained has certainly helped save me money and helped me in an emergency no start situation.

Besides, you can't beat the satisfaction of having fixed something yourself! Have fun!

I don't mind paying for complicated fixes beyond my capacity, but it's those 'evaluation' fees that kill me. And you know a mechanic doesn't care what the customer thinks is the problem.

Nice work.

I have a Hayne's for my jeep. With that book I can tear down my engine and put it back together. My daughter used her Hayne's to replace the gears in her transmission.

Toes said:
What's up everyone!

I just wanted to share my first ever DIY fix.
When I got my van, the 12v outlet didn't work. I took it to pep boys and they said it'd be 50 bucks to do an "electrical evaluation." So i decided instead to diagnose the problem myself and try and fix it myself. And here you can see the new 12v outlet installed and the gps in the background powered by said outlet!

I know it's not much, and it's really easy stuff, but this the first time I've done any kind diy car or electrical fixes. So I'm kinda proud of myself, and I wanted to share. :)

zJAMlFm.jpg
Good for you Toes! In our chosen life self-sufficiency is paramount! :D