B Class Dodge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost There said:
That's because so many others are confused to start with that they've got you confused.

Here's a blog from Newmar that has, not only simple definitions of what's what but pictures too that illustrate each of B,C and A class RVs. It's safe to ignore any B+ labeling, it is simply advertising hype.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/blog/post...between-class-class-b-and-class-c-motorhomes/

Thanks, then this one that is labeled as a "B" is really a "C" without the overhead?
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/5209589803.html

The "overhead" means nothing.  Some true Class B vans have an overcab bed.  If the original van body is gone, it's a Class C.  Period.  Simple.

Gary68 said:
thats a sweet deal,especially if it has a small block

I've conversed with the guy. He said he thinks it has a 440, but didn't seem too sure of it.

I'll continue to call my Roadtrek 200 a B+.  Is not nearly as wide as a C but is wider (6.8 Ft Vs. 7.3 Ft for mine, total 7 inches wider) than a true B.  A class C is 8.5 Ft (102 inches, ~2 Ft. wider than a B) and a lot boxier.  Some may want to call it a C- but I like B+ because the grade is better :dodgy:

B and C said:
I'll continue to call my Roadtrek 200 a B+.  Is not nearly as wide as a C but is wider (6.8 Ft Vs. 7.3 Ft for mine, total 7 inches wider) than a true B.  A class C is 8.5 Ft (102 inches, ~2 Ft. wider than a B) and a lot boxier.  Some may want to call it a C- but I like B+ because the grade is better :dodgy:

Uh oh, here we go again. You do make some good points, and there does seem to be a separate class judging by width.
I always thought the breakdown went like this,
Class A, big and boxy.
Class B, the size that fits between the class A and C, and looks closer to a large van on steroids than either the A or C.
Class C, a cut away chassis that has what looks like a large camper mounted to the frame while using the van or truck front end and cab.
Conversion van. A van that is equipped with some sort of bed, (usually a convertible James Bond style bed) and very small (usually two burner) and a porta potty. So the conversion van is an actual van. 
OK, back to being confused? Not quite as simple either?

Ballenxj said:
Class B, the size that fits between the class A and C, and looks closer to a large van on steroids than either the A or C.

I like your definitions too.
I can't see why anyone would classify mine as a C.  Here is a pic:
Brian

Attachments

• 2000 RT 200.GIF
    2000 RT 200.GIF
    74.2 KB · Views: 18
B and C said:
I like your definitions too.
I can't see why anyone would classify mine as a C.  Here is a pic:
Brian

Indeed, some would call the RT 200 a "B+" or "Super B".  But, it's all in the van body.

In this pic, RT 170 and RT 190 are Class B (left vehicle), RT 200 and RT 210 (right vehicle)have the van body cutaway and a wider/taller fiberglass body grafted on.  Thus, Class C.  Clear as mud?

9iscvb.jpg

Classic C Vs a B+

From [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.newmarcorp.com/blog/posts/11-...otorhomes/ [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"[size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]A Class B motorhome is built using a cargo or camper van as the base. They are often called “conversion vans” or “camper vans.” However, it has a raised roof and is much larger than a typical van; most are built with a high enough roof to allow its occupants to stand up inside"  [/font][/font][/size]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]My roadtrek is built on a 2000 Chevy Express 3500 chassis.[/font][/font][/size]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]"Class C motorhomes usually use a van or truck chassis built specifically for motorhome use, with an attached cab."  "[/font][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Because they are built on a more powerful chassis than Class B motorhomes, they have the ability to offer more amenities."[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Notice C's with a 4500 designation much?[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Let's face it.  There are no fast and hard rules on the in-between classifications.  It is a lot closer to a B than it is to a C using newmar's definitions.

Just like the SUV market - various sizes.  Different strokes for different folks :p

Attachments

• classc C motorhome_thumb.jpg
    classc C motorhome_thumb.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2000 RT 200.gif
    2000 RT 200.gif
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
B and C said:
Classic C Vs a B+

From [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.newmarcorp.com/blog/posts/11-...otorhomes/ [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"[size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]A Class B motorhome is built using a cargo or camper van as the base. They are often called “conversion vans” or “camper vans.” However, it has a raised roof and is much larger than a typical van; most are built with a high enough roof to allow its occupants to stand up inside"  [/font][/font][/size]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]My roadtrek is built on a 2000 Chevy Express 3500 chassis.[/font][/font][/size]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]"Class C motorhomes usually use a van or truck chassis built specifically for motorhome use, with an attached cab."  "[/font][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Because they are built on a more powerful chassis than Class B motorhomes, they have the ability to offer more amenities."[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif][size=small][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Notice C's with a 4500 designation much?[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I too have noticed this. Class B's seem to be built on 3/4 & 1 ton chassis. Most C's seem to be built on heavier duty chassis.
 Also I read somewhere while searching out the definition that if it looked like a van, albeit wider and taller, it's a B. I'm going to stick with that.

Who cares?

Other than proving your right and someone else is wrong, it means nothing.

Call it anything you want.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Who cares?
D.M.V.?
I do specifically to describe what style I am interested in so people that own, or have owned them might chime in.
I hope this little disagreement hasn't killed the thread because I would still like to learn more about them.

Ballenxj said:
D.M.V.?
I do specifically to describe what style I am interested in so people that own, or have owned them might chime in.
I hope this little disagreement hasn't killed the thread because I would still like to learn more about them.

As far as I remember, the DMV doesn't care about what an RV is classified as...A, B, or C

We had a class C, and I was always told that a class 'C', got it's designation from the overhead bunk which looks like the letter 'C' (when the center piece is taken out)

I hope you guys noticed the question mark I put behind D.M.V.  ? 
Maybe it would be better to specify a small RV that has a fiberglass top with no overhead bunk that kind of resembles a van?

Ballenxj said:
I hope you guys noticed the question mark I put behind D.M.V.  ? 
Maybe it would be better to specify a small RV that has a fiberglass top with no overhead bunk that kind of resembles a van?

LOL on the resembles a van.

How about using "camper van" as the description of what you are looking for or "camper van with no over-cab bed?" That gives you the van "size" and says no C-type bed.

Ballenxj said:
I've conversed with the guy. He said he thinks it has a 440, but didn't seem too sure of it.

440's are good engines and should be no problem dropping in a 360 in the future to go from 10 to 15 mpg or keep the 440 if you have plans on towing around a small moon

A 440 is considered a big block and a 360 is considered a small block.  Lots of parts to change.  I went the other way once 360 to 440.

Motor mounts, exhaust, radiator (intake hose on wrong side).  Seems there was more and I remember it being a pain in the a$$ but that was at least 30 years ago :p

Brian