Awesome way to add a motorcycle to your rig?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bobbert:
I had a Sportclassic (Ducati). I didn't realize it was awesome-sauce motorcycle, I bought it cause it looked nice :) Mine was Purple. He and I were buds! :)

HOW ARE YOU!!!! I hope you are doing fabulous?!?

BC Guy, I don't know anything about trailers, but this one in theory folds up and can be stored (the TRAILER) in your van. Tho really I guess, if you HAVE a motorcycle on it, and want to drive off without the motorcycle, one would think you could store the trailer wherever you store the motorcycle. So maybe folding isn't such an important feature :)

With Love,
Tara

The ad sais you can carry a BossHoss on it, but I wouldn't trust my chopper on there for anything longer than across town.

Something lighter like a mid-size dual sport?? Probably, but then again, those tiny wheels are gonna be hummin' with the weight.

I'd be more inclined to use onna these...
http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift.html

I use one of these, but I don't think it'd be good for the long term:

512139348_tp_zps9083ae6c.jpg

I would have to agree with zil and Patrick. no suspension, small tires = no good. vic is that your set up or just a generic pic. I sure wouldn't use cam lock tie downs those never stay tight, but I am talking off road. highdesertranger

Vic. said:
I use one of these, but I don't think it'd be good for the long term:

512139348_tp_zps9083ae6c.jpg

highdesertranger said:
vic is that your set up or just a generic pic. I sure wouldn't use cam lock tie downs those never stay tight, but I am talking off road. highdesertranger

lessee...

I've bumper-hitched motorcycles like that for years...except that I take the front wheel off and stick the axle through a sleeve that I've welded on a square pipe that I stick into my receiver. It's not going anywhere that way! I then use straps, hooking the tops to the handlebars like you'd usually do, but I hook the bottoms of them to the bumper support arms keeping them nice and wide. This keeps everything good and stable.
(I don't like the way the straps come straight down on the one pictured. No side to side stability.)

And always remember to drop your rear wheel chain before hitting the road.

I've had friends tow their old chopper's cross country using this system. No problemo!

As for the cam-lock straps...I always tie the excess strapping in a knot right behind the clamps. It can't loosen up that way.

DH added a Blue Ox rack with ramp to the MH for the Helix. We had the old winch off the boat, but mostly manually loaded and unloaded the scooter as the winch stopped working the day we put it on. The rack has a hitch so we could still tow the car off it or use the bicycle rack with it. Actually, we decided to leave the Helix at home this trip. The 1000 pound model has 2 extra receivers, which makes it very stable. I will see if I can find a pic if you are interested in seeing it.

Agree on the shocks needed. Have used trailers with no shocks and they bounce a lot. Over even the little things. Do you want your motorcycle bouncing six inches on a trailer?