Attending the RTR 2019

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been to numerous RTR's earlier events were 50-100 people and I look at the entire event as being the center with various neighborhoods

because taking a holistic approach makes more sense see yourself as the center we have no guru guiding BS you are the center.

Since the location is changing this year, are there still going to be different camps for music ect. like in the past?

I am most likely going to attend in 2019 and since I do not have a van yet I’ll be flying into Phoenix from Massachusetts.

From Phoenix I’ll be renting a van(wooo!) from a UHaul center located within 20 minutes of the airport(I’ll just Uber from the airport to the UHaul center), and onto Quartzsite from there.

I’ve looked into rental cars and hotels and since I’m trying to attend on the cheap, that was most cost effective for my situation. I believe UHaul charges $20 a day plus $.59 cents a mile, so it should be about $300 total, not including local taxes, insurance, and supplies I’ll need to sleep decently.

The plan is to stop at a retailer along the way and pick up the basic essentials like a cheap air mattress, food, etc just to get me through the few days I’ll be there and then donating them when I’m outta there.

DebraOak said:
I've seen some videos of Quartsize in the winter during various shopping fests, and I'm not impressed. Has the RTR grown so large now that someone new like me who has never been and alone could #1 find the main group and #2 not be depressed by all the pack of humanity gathered to recreational shop?

That's a good question.  I am thinking the same.  I have never been and will be a newbie out in October.  It all seems very overwhelming to me and kind of chaotic.

It's not "summer camp" no egg rolling wheelbarrow races bobbing for apples catching frogs jumping off a pier. It is challenging, educational, personal growth opportunities present themselves as old and young alike nice people/not so nice people combine to re-create the world we live in
from a different perspective.

wagoneer said:
It's not "summer camp" no egg rolling wheelbarrow races bobbing for apples catching frogs jumping off a pier. 

Yeah, but there WAS a pet parade and costume show over at the Quartzfest event....you missed it!

:p

longing4nature said:
That's a good question.  I am thinking the same.  I have never been and will be a newbie out in October.  It all seems very overwhelming to me and kind of chaotic.

Ditto! I'm hitting the road at the end of September. First time, full time. I'm hoping maybe there will be a noob meet-up there. Then we can all feel overwhelmingly awkward together  :D

This will be my first time RTRing! I'm not sure yet if I will fly in and rent a vehicle or drive. I'm in the process of looking for a Van. Should I wait till after the RTR or go ahead if I find the ideal home on wheels? Looking forward to a new experience for an old guy getting ready to retire.

tx2sturgis said:
Yeah, but there WAS a pet parade and costume show over at the Quartzfest event....you missed it!

:p

That would be a kick! Someone suggest it to whoever is running the show this winter! Just about everyone there had a pet

Cammalu said:
That would be a kick!  Someone suggest it to whoever is running the show this winter!  Just about everyone there had a pet

Yep, it was kinda cute...

IMG_20180122_182318.jpgIMG_20180122_182506.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_182318.jpg
    IMG_20180122_182318.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20180122_182506.jpg
    IMG_20180122_182506.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 32
MrNoodly said:
Historically it has been from the second Thursday to the fourth Wednesday of January. This past January it was the 11th to the 24th, so my educated guess is in 2019 it will be the 10th to the 23rd. It might be a day or so either way. Is that close enough?

If you're getting a room, there are way more options in Blythe CA, 20 miles west of Quartzsite on I-10.

Lucky for me that I have already reserved a room in Quartsite! I have also checked on renting an RV and driving from Nebraska to Quartsite, Arizonia and I have discovered that renting an RV and driving would cost me double the money that a room would cost even though the room will cost about $650.00 for the 10 or so days that I will be using the room! My son has major back issues and can't sleep in a tent very well and he agreed to pay for our rental car if I pay for the hotel room! Thanks for reading my reply and hope to meet many of you there at the 2019 RTR

I'm glad that Bob, is trying to make the location easy to get to and the directions simple to understand! I'm often told where to go and how to get there so this should be pretty easy for me (LOL)

Well I've been a van dweller for 10 years but I've always lived in a city or town never travelled with anybody or do groups first time for everything looking forward to the RTR I'm kind of nervous that it's probably going to be very large but I guess if you look at the positive side the more people there is the more you can learn my goal is to get out of Kentucky before it starts snowing I have no clue where I'm going I'm just going to hit the road and head towards Arizona I guess maybe Nevada only reason I have to leave early October is my tags expire and I need to find another HomeBase which I'm thinking Nevada to get registered im not sure yet. Yeah it would be so much easier if I had someone to guide me Bob's videos help but it's mostly a new experience for me because I'm used to being in one town and parking at Walmart or at work traveling is going to be a new experience it would be nice to find a group. The only thing that scares me is when the money Runs Out.

Onestep said:
Ditto! I'm hitting the road at the end of September. First time, full time. I'm hoping maybe there will be a noob meet-up there. Then we can all feel overwhelmingly awkward together  :D

I'm a first timer noob, will be there with all my awkwardness :cool:

Bob announced the RYR dates on his live chat yesterday. It starts on the 9th. The women's RTR starts on the 4th of January.

yes Bob announced January 9-20th for the RTR. I didn't hear about the women's, guess I missed that. highdesertranger

Skippy said:
My son has major back issues and can't sleep in a tent very well 
Just thought I'd toss this out as something to think about, in case you want to get into this mode of life. I have a bad hip from a motorcycle accident many years ago. I've been able to sleep in tents for decades since then, but it's finally caught up with me, so I bought a basic cargo van last fall. I installed a 3-layer foam mattress, and I swear this thing is the most comfortable bed I've slept on that I can remember. I've stayed in a couple of motels since buying the van, but their beds really are not as comfortable as this mattress. Some people swear by total memory foam mattresses, but I think the 3-layer is superior. I do have some back issues too, but have no problems with this mattress in that regard.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L9QN4G
So, just a thought. What I've found is you just have to keep trying things until you find what works good for you.

EDIT: I should add that I actually bought the mattress "before" I bought the van, and was using it at home for several months. Then was wondering what to do with it, so I got the van to carry it around, LOL.