Attempting my first battery charging. I've got a question...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
Everything is hooked up, all connections checked and secure, battery and inverter are grounded.  Now it's time to do my first charging session.

LiFePO4 battery is brand new so it will obviously be charging from 0%.

Everything is connected except the solar panel to the controller, obviously once I connect that it will start charging.

My question is; do I need to know anything about charging the battery for the first time, any safety measures I should take, or is it simple and straight forward?

Lifepo4 batteries have a different charging profile than lead acid. I’d presume it was shipped fully charged and is not at zero percent.

Lifepo4 is simpler than lead acid, but it’s still complex. I’m personally looking at it but have not pulled the trigger. Read the manual.

It doesn't indicate if it is 100% charged or 0% charged on delivery.

In the instruction manual it only says to store the battery at 40-50% charged, so I'm assuming if it is charged, it will only be at 40-50%, but that's a big assumption on my part.

if you have the correct controller set up correctly everything will be fine. hook that puppy up. highdesertranger

Sounds good. I'll wait till this weekend when I don't have to work so I can monitor it, to make sure everything is okay for it's first charge. Thanks

With the LifeBlue lithium batteries that I install I was told that they need to be charged until they go into standby the first time.

jimindenver said:
With the LifeBlue lithium batteries that I install I was told that they need to be charged until they go into standby the first time.

I'm not sure what "standby" means, but I'm going to start charging at sunrise and keep going until it stops charging.

That is stand by. When the battery is fully charged and the BMS stops the charging. Should it not get to that point today, continue charging it tomorrow until it does. Once done you can start using it.