Attacked While Sleeping in Jeep

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no debate on any of this as we all know in truth.

go to school and get shot and die

got to a mall on the wrong day and get shot and die

drive thru storms and snow and skid and die thru the idiot actions of 'that driver' of who knows what they might be on or thru a wrong manuever' that kills many in a pileup.

and the list goes on.

OF COURSE we must have 'smarts' on our personal fear risk and how we deal thru life.

Killed in a jeep. Going to happen but how we 'filter fear and aggressive death acts' and 'actions' of others will always be what we feel personally we are willing to do ya know.

Ripper said it all, we don't know ever!!! --- our future and interactions of others or that choice we made on that day, so...........live life and go forward or curl up in a panic room ball, hey whatever floats one's boat will always be that for that person :)

Edmonton is a rough town. The oil boom attracts a lot of sketchy characters along with drugs and prostitution.

RoamerRV428 said:
There is no debate on any of this as we all know in truth.

Killed in a jeep.  Going to happen but how we 'filter fear and aggressive death acts' and 'actions' of others will always be what we feel personally we are willing to do ya know. 

Only she didn't get killed in a Jeep.
She drove away in a Jeep, and lived to tell the story.
There might be a lesson in that, eh?

Cool.  Happy to hear she didn't get killed :)   Attacked....yea attacks are all over now for everything, nothing unusual on that front with the crazy out there.  Plus now in digital age, we learn about ALL attacks from every corner of the world in a flash too.  Old days one barely knew what was going on in the town down the road LOL

Funny but I read people are quitting customer service type jobs cause the population is getting meaner to deal with :)

So true Wandering. I am also 'that type' that will put that extra 'small but not obsessive' smart things into play to be a bit aware and a bit smarter when we require it for quick go and put some brains onto my 'whereabouts' and what could happen, but in the end of it all no matter how great we are in our issues, sometimes crap goes down :) ugh

WanderingRose said:
Always park with your vehicle pointed toward the way out.
And if threatened, be prepared to use your vehicle as a bulldozer to get out.

Darn straight Spiff. Self defense thru crazy is sure a thing I know I would do LOL

John in Montreal said:
Edmonton is a rough town. The oil boom attracts a lot of sketchy characters along with drugs and prostitution.

I think that's an oversimplification, I have lived in Edmonton for the past 40 years, the last 6 in my cube van/box truck, and occurrences such as this are rare indeed. There will always be deranged individuals in every city/town, one can only hope they don't cross our path, yet invariably they will unfortunately cross someone's path .
It's not limited to van-dwellers as potential victims, as sticks and bricks are also broken into while the occupants are present.
We have many van-dwellers in this city in spite of our very cold winters, and I would hate to see nomads pass around it out of fear, as with any big city there is both good and bad.

ahh_me2 said:
I think that's an oversimplification, I have lived in Edmonton for the past 40 years
Cool, a voice of reason from one actually living in the area.  Better than a jaded view from a pass thru or ?

good post

I lived in Alberta for over ten years. The province has long had a negative and hostile attitude to out of towners. The big oil companies that pull the strings need people to come and work and build up the economy. But they don't want to take ownership of all the problems that brings. And when the booms turn to busts and people have no work and no roof over their head they'd prefer you just leave and go back to Quebec or New Brunswick or wherever you came from and get the hell out of Alberta.

I'm not surprised the Edmonton police did nothing for this woman who was violated while sleeping in her car. That's the Alberta way. But don't take my word for it listen to the former mayor of Calgary and Alberta premier Ralph Klein.
[video=youtube]

Alberta is very conservative, likely the most conservative voting province in Canada known as the Texas of Canada, however the two major cities Calgary and Edmonton are fairly Liberal due to the influx of workers from other provinces that built and populate the large suburbs that surround these cities. It is known as the Bible Belt of Canada, like other places that have a high conservative, religious or superstitious power base it has similar issues, a minority of intolerant, angry white people. This women has had a terrible experience and that man will strike again, next time it might be you, your grand daughter, sister or wife. He may have learnt how he will block her in a bit better. This thread is ridiculous almost no one has shown any reflection on what this felt like for her, some almost blame her and only one talked of the injustice of this man walking away.

I agree with Kurbmaster. I have been in a similar situation and it is scary. I was on a cross country bicycle trip. My husband was driving a car. He was sometimes a day behind me as he would stop to see races etc. I stopped my ride.

PODebbie2021 said:
I have been in a similar situation and it is scary. I was on a cross country bicycle trip. My husband was driving a car. He was sometimes a day behind me as he would stop to see races etc.  I stopped my ride.

I'm sure it was scary and you did the prudent thing. Putting things in perspective though you were probably much more in danger of being killed or maimed by a distracted driver than from an attack by a stranger. In 2019 there were over 800 bicyclists killed in crashes with cars.

I’m sure glad i have a bazooka & a blackbelt

slow2day said:
I'm sure it was scary and you did the prudent thing. Putting things in perspective though you were probably much more in danger of being killed or maimed by a distracted driver than from an attack by a stranger. In 2019 there were over 800 bicyclists killed in crashes with cars.

1 in 3 women are sexually assaulted.

Kind of makes you wish you had

Status
Not open for further replies.