At the crossroad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico

Reaction score
Are there any nomads out there that have issues with COPD and diabetes and are out there on the road? If so, how do you deal with it? This is something that I have been struggling with for a little while now. Not quite sure what to do. Let me explain!

For the majority of my adult life I have lived in the Northwest. Last year I moved from southern Oregon to the Salem area and within the first month I discovered that I had difficulty breathing. So once I was able to get into a see a doctor, I was diagnosed with stage 2 COPD. I am not on oxygen but have to use inhalers and a nebulizer quite often. I have found that the physical activity that never used to be a problem is now become breath taking. Literally!!! Doesn't take much to cause me to be "winded". So I rest and continue on. It's challenging enough being older now (65) and not being able to do the things I used to be able to do. So this COPD issue has taken the wind out of my sails to a degree  (pun intended) physically, but has not dampened my spirit. Then to add to the decline of being older, I was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 months ago. WHAT THE HECK!!!!  So I am taking some good supplements and have changed my diet DRAMATICALLY from what it was in the hopes of controlling my new illness. I haven't been perscribed insulin so hopefully that won't change. 

My plan has been to get out of Oregon in October and not spend another winter here and head south to Arizona. And here is the problem that I am faced with..........Do I load up my 96 4runner with a small utility trailer behind with the camping gear that I would need (tent, stove, bed, etc., etc.) , which would be a bit more physically challenging.................OR, do I try to see if I can get financing for an inexpensive Class C or ??, which would be less physically demanding but then I would have a payment each month to deal with. I am on SS Disabiltiy so I am not rich by any means and my credit is fair. Right now I am living in a 39' park model trailer in a RV park and paying way more than a payment on a Class C or ?? would be!!! WHAT TO DO????!!!!

It is difficult for me to ask others for help, and so I am a bit out of my comfort zone by even writing this. And I am not asking anyone to make this decision for me, that is on me of course. But what I am asking is for advice, insight, tips, tricks, in regards to this decision I am faced with. And one thing is for sure......I need to get outta here before winter!!   :s     Rico

I believe that the Phoenix area (Mesa in particular) is the used RV mecca of the US. I'm only familiar with that area, so I could be wrong. I have had no issue finding good, older RV's for way under 10K here. I'm in a nice 20yo Class A right now. The Quartzsite area will have a lot of RV's to choose from during the January snowbird gathering. If you can get down here, you can probably find something that is less expensive once you are here. But, that is only true during the winter. During the summer there is hardly anyone here...

Just throwing out one more option.

Look into copd exercises as this will help your endurance. Spirometer exercises throughout the day. Research online for other ways to exercise. If you maintain and focus on endurance your body will use oxygen properly.

My mother's lung doctor wants her to be active; walking etc. Shallow breathing even for ones not dealing with copd, is a hurtful thing.

Regarding what you should do... with a class c, you would have more flexibility and comfort on activity or not.

Thank you Shadowmoss... I really appreciate your input. In looking around where I am living right now there have been some pretty good deals on used Class Cs. If I decide to go in that direction it is something that I will want to take care of before leaving here....just have to see what the Credit Union says😎

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Thank you G😀😎

:) Hello and Welcome!

I've maintained a small account with Army Aviation Center Credit Union for about 1 yr.  Never over $100 in it.

I was pleasantly surprised last month when they paid off my Aliner loan at Wells Fargo which was 16+ percent and $110. per month for  5ys.  The new loan is 7+ percent, $100per month and 4yrs...Then within 2wks I needed another loan and there was no problem to get it.

The thing I liked about dealing with the credit union was they promptly told me my credit score and also my Debt to Income #s and what it meant.  I was told that many places will not loan $$ if your Debt = 50 percent of your income.  I was told that most places will consider a loan up to a 30 percent debt/income.  I never knew what this meant before.

Good luck finding a rig and financing too if you need it.

My Mom is in her mid 80s and also diabetic like me and she also has COPD.  She just stopped travelling with a partner in a 5th wheel somewhere in her 60s.  I'll talk to her and see if she was dealing with the COPD while travelling, I'll also see about the diabetes.  I'm type II since 1995.  I've been on insulin for about 4yrs & take 2 kinds.  I will say that I started feeling a lot better after I started the insulin and eating better.  However it was many years after being diagnosed that I got to the point of needing insulin...it's not the end of the world  :)  The pen needles hurt way less than poking a hole in your finger for blood testing.

Jewellann

Thank you for your response Jewellann😀.....yes, please do let me know what your mom says about her travels with COPD. The diabetes thing is new to me and am trying to deal with it the best I can, and even though there has been the physical issues presented to me the call of the road rings louder than ever.😎[THUMBS UP SIGN]