Arizona Africanized bees questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredley

Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of car camping in Kansas/Missouri, and would like to explore Arizona.  I didn’t grow up with the threat of Africanized bees and don’t want to take any chances out there.  Can someone tell me what type of bee encounters can be seen as safe and what (aside from the obvious swarm and attack) are indications of danger?  For example, if I see a bee or two sniffing around my campsite, or buzzing around and past me without butting or stinging, can I go about my business and stick around, or should this be taken as a sign to look for another site?  If a brief encounter is safe, what could follow that would indicate an escalation?  Is the constant presence of one or a few bees safe?  Where’s the line?  Thanks in advance!

You will probably be able to find more information by researching. I tend to avoid bees in general out here as they travel miles and pass signals to the hive. Generally one bee around camp that quickly leaves as I don’t leave any unattended attractors like pop cans or wet areas (yet another reason for not dumping gray water) close to camp is no problem but several near by enough I occasionally hear bussing is enough to make me move and be watchful when I walk around camp. If I encounter more than 3 or 4 on a single bush while walking I avoid it on the way back and keep 10 or 15 yards from it. This has worked for me but others may know better than me.

Just FYI....if you have or use sweet smelling colognes, perfumes, hairsprays, deodorants, perfumed soaps, potpourri, car deodorizers, etc etc the bees will find your camp.

This includes sweet smells such as citrus cleaners, spilled sodapop or a few drops of maple syrup on your kitchen counter....

The best way to keep them away is to keep the sweet smells to a minimum.

In seven years of living in and around the desert, I have seen very few bees, and none were aggressive.

They aren't all that plentiful in the desert but the OP said they want to 'explore Arizona' and Arizona has a lot of forests. It's not all desert.

I worked outdoors for years before retiring and ordinary bees and wasps would always be around; if ignored they’re mostly harmless unless you disturb a nest or hive. If they get caught in clothing they will sting.

But the OP is asking about the Africanized Bees, also known as “Killer Bees”. They actually do aggressively attack humans if they sense threat to the hive or the swarm and their stings release pheromones signaling more bees to attack. They’re know to chase humans over distance. The multiple stings from a swarm can be deadly and a swarm can be 100s of thousands. In the states they're limited to the warmest climates in the southwest.

The chances of encountering them are very rare. They are another possible hazard of the desert like scorpions and rattlesnakes. There’s plenty of scholarly articles about Africanized bees to be found by googling.

Another bee hazard in the southwest is in agricultural areas near desert lands like around Yuma and the Imperial Valley where large hives are set out to pollinate crops. On a walk or a bike ride one might encounter a hive like the one pictured where many bees could be in the air. Those bees aren’t aggressive like the Africanized bees but they will defend the hive. Best to turn around and leave the area unless you have clothing to cover yourself.

5e74ca86958ba.image.jpg

Attachments

• 5e74ca86958ba.image.jpg
    5e74ca86958ba.image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 5
I used to raise honey Bees. you don't have to worry about them. no need to go the other way when you encounter one of their hives. actually in the picture above those are many hives, each set of boxes is a different hive. what I am trying to say is honey bees are not a hazard. unless you happen to be allergic to a sting.

now Africanized bees are a whole other deal but I have not heard of there being a problem in AZ. except many years ago when the news media felt it necessary to hype it up. does anybody have any links to current conditions?

highdesertranger

I was camped on forest road 687 close to tombstone and while there were not many flies, the honey bees were more than an aggravation. I left my slider door open, a honey bee flew in and found a very small puddle of water in the sink. Thirty minutes later there were at least a dozen bees coming 8nsude to partake the water. They were most aggressive and even after shooting them out and closing the slider they hung around for the next 3 days. I was outside in my chair for happy hour and one landed on my ankle and gave me a sting for no reason other than be a little sh**: I dropped the “f” bond rather loudly and my iPhone responded in a female voice, “ I can not respond to that”: at least I got a laught about it. But back to the bees, be aware of them when around that area. Happy thanksgiving to all!

We have killer bees and murder hornets. Wonder what the name for wasps will be?

There are also carpenter bees in AZ, but they do not seem to be agressive to people, just to trees.  -crofter

Tx2 - I knew that about them liking sweet smelling things that’s why I’ve been so successful keeping away from them. I think I stink.

Unless you are one of these people that die from a single ant sting or single wasp/bee/hornet sting,  don't worry about them, the African killer bee fad  is typical 90% news media sensationalizing a small event. This time of year in Texas, you can't sit outside without having 30 or 40 swarming around.

highdesertranger said:
now Africanized bees are a whole other deal but I have not heard of there being a problem in AZ.  except many years ago when the news media felt it necessary  to hype it up.  does anybody have any links to current conditions?

highdesertranger

Made me curious so I googled and found some information:

This article from 2018 says in Arizona, bees are more dangerous than rattlesnakes:
Report: Bees more dangerous than snakes – at least in Arizona

Here's some reports of bee attacks in Arizona. I narrowed the search results to fairly recent events for current conditions.
Interesting that these are mainly from urban areas. I wonder how many events in rural areas go unreported. I was stung several times in a swarm near Barstow Ca but never thought about reporting it.

April 2019 - Yuma man killed in bee attack
Arizona man dies after located 'covered with bees' in front yard, police say | Fox News

August 2019 - Cochise County man killed, three others injured
Dad killed, three others injured in Cochise County bee attack | Arizona News | azfamily.com

June 2020 - Bisbee man dead after bee attack
Bisbee man found dead after apparent bee attack | Bisbee | myheraldreview.com

August 2020 - Bees kill man in Oro Valley
Officials warn to be cautious after bees kill man in Oro Valley | News | tucsonlocalmedia.com

May 2020 - Tucson swarm of bees kill 3 dogs
Arizona bees: 'Aggressive' swarm of bees in Tucson kill 3 dogs

May 2019 - Phoenix bee attack sends teen and 2 adults to hospital
Latest bee attack in Phoenix sends teen, 2 adults to hospital | Arizona News | azfamily.com

December 2019 - Multiple people attacked in Glendale
Multiple people attacked by bees in Glendale park; 1 man stung over 100 times

April 2020 - Three hospitalized and policeman treated after bee attack at Mesa senior living facility
Multiple victims treated after swarm of bees attacks at Mesa senior home

May 2020 - Bee attack at Oro Valley shopping center
Bees sting three at Oro Valley Marketplace

November 2020 - Bee attack hospitalizes mother and 2 children in Phoenix
Swarm of Angry Bees Hospitalizes Mother and Her Two Children in Arizona

I'm a native Arizonan, and having lived here all my life, I can tell you of only one encounter with Africanized bees myself. Fortunately, I was on an ATV at the time and was able to outrun the swarm.

Like everything else in the desert, bees of all kinds need water. Regular honey bees won't attack you for being near an exclusive water source, like a leaky sprinkler head or hose spigot. But Africanized bees will,...as I found out. I was out riding near my rural property and came upon a leaky water pipe along a dirt road. I was curious about it, because it had been unattended for quite some time and the puddle it had generated was sizeable. In the desert, this sort of thing generates curiosity, as no one wants such a precious asset wasted. I rolled up to it and was about to dismount to get a closer look. But I began to hear what sounded like a buzzsaw. I thought something was going wrong with my ATV. But in a moment, I realized the sound was behind me, not under me. As I looked behind me, all I saw was a cloud of black dots rapidly moving towards and down upon me. Fortunately, I instantly realized what it was, and I gunned the motor and sped away. After going about 50 yards, I stopped and looked back. They were still after me and were getting closer again. I gunned it again and drove perhaps a 1/4 mile before I stopped again to look back. They had finally given up. I got lucky.
But as much time as I have spent in the outdoors here, that is my only encounter with them. I've had several instances of regular bees transiting through the ranchette and try to set up residence. Once, they succeeded in finding an open crack to build a hive in the eave over the front door. But I haven't been stung by a bee since I was kid in the 70s. The incident on the ATV  few years ago is the closest I've come. But it is scary, because if I had been on foot,....

So, what you're saying is, that you 'bee-bopped' right on outta there?

Glad you are here to tell the tale. 

:thumbsup:

Oh that’s scary. Maybe should have reported it to - well I don’t know who. Whoever gets rid of those bees!

Thanks for your input, everyone!  To follow up, I spent a few days out in the Ironwood Forest National Monument (a beautiful cactus forest).  Although it was a great time, the flies and bees were pesky!  When outside, I was getting constant fly-byes between about 11am and dark. No bites, not stings, just a lot of company :)  I made a few calls as well and got some good information from a wildlife biologist. She told me that if you encounter a bee hive anywhere near a recreation area in Arizona (state/national park, BLM, national forest, etc.), you should leave the area and report it, as there are no “managed” hives in these places. If you encounter a bee or two, be wary but don’t bother packing up and leaving if they do not begin bumping you. If you are bumped by a bee, assume that it is an Africanized bee and that it is giving you a warning. Turn around and walk back the way you came quickly and calmly. A few bumps is all you get before Africanized bees release a pheromone calling for a full-on swarm, and they will chase you and possibly kill you, others you lead them to, or pets/livestock nearby. So that was what I wanted to know, but it’s not exactly reassuring ?. I’d read every news and informative article I could find on the web and none addressed what to do if bees showed interest in you but hadn’t bumped or stung yet. Pass it on to your AZ camping friends and family!

There usually not a problem in Arizona, but they can be quite obnoxious when drunk.

Attachments

• bees.jpg
    bees.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4