Are Time Consuming Conversions a Mistake?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastTense

Reaction score
Most people here can only afford old vehicles. With such a vehicle there is a significant possibility that there will be a major failure (engine, transmission, vehicle accident...). When this happens to this older vehicle it is often better to simply get a replacement vehicle than to fix the failure (besides cost considerations there is also the time consideration--a different van immediately vs weeks for repairs). But if a person has spent hundreds of hours in setting up/converting the vehicle all this time is down the drain.

So I would like to see ideas for simple setups/conversions.

We did only limited conversion to our old van, but what we did was modular and removable. We did this because the van was both a camper and family vehicle, which required different setups. It did take more time and work to do this than a permanent converstion might have taken. However if we had ever bought a new van, all the units could have been kept and reused.

If I were starting from scratch with little funding I would look for a vehicle that is sound mechanicly do the conversion as simply as possible keeping comfort a top priority. That means having insulation and a comfortable bed.
Simple camping gear will get you by, a folding chair, camp stove, good solar lantern, solar flashlight, water jug......and anything else you can not live without.

Don't forget good cloths for ALL seasons.

If you are going to work now and then, you should make saving money priority#1.

After time you will begin to see what your needs are and with savings you should be able to get the best setup for you.

I once worked with a man who found a small animal den in a hillside many miles outside of town in Wyoming.

He was very comfortable and content, he would go to town once a week for a shower and supplies. He lived out there all summer, but moved into town when the first snow storm hit.....I think he was worried about getting stuck in the snow with his 2 wheel drive truck more than the cold.

I could live like that, but it would never be my 1st choice lol

Papa, go to Youtube to Desertphile's channel and watch his Going Feral series. I don't want to do it, but I am fascinated by his descriptions of how he did it.

Ccbredrr, that van is a lot nicer than a hole in the ground in the desert with tarranchula's for rommate's, which is how Desertphile did it. A LOT nicer.

PastTense said:
Most people here can only afford old vehicles. With such a vehicle there is a significant possibility that there will be a major failure (engine, transmission, vehicle accident...). When this happens to this older vehicle it is often better to simply get a replacement vehicle than to fix the failure (besides cost considerations there is also the time consideration--a different van immediately vs weeks for repairs). But if a person has spent hundreds of hours in setting up/converting the vehicle all this time is down the drain.

So I would like to see ideas for simple setups/conversions.

I don't think it is a waste of time as most conversion vans or RVs would never suit me, either there are way too many beds, kitchen is often too big, the trim is too dark, too many gadgets but mostly there is no floor space left to pace or string a hammock. Some of the new Euro vans are nice but I would never spend 100,000 even if I had it. I have a box truck and a small Toyota van both in different countries. If I had to abandon them, from the Kurbmaster, I would salvage the heater,stereo, and personal items use the existing bed as a crate and ship or move it into the new one. I have had it for five years it has paid for itself, it owes me nothing. On the Toyota when I first set it up because I was using it as a work vehicle I used to put a camp cot in it with plastic bins under for clothes and stuff, a small single burner camp stove, and mostly my other light weight camping gear. That worked out well so then I decided to make things a little nicer so I built components, the single bed to one side a thin cupboard across from it for clothes, the floor between the two lifts up and makes a double bed, across the back of the drivers seats the kitchen counter with the stove sink and storage for food, the cupboard door doubles as a table or a computer desk., small fridge accessable through a pass through sits on the counsel , more storage under the bed. there is another part of the floor that fills the space between the bed and the lift up floor-bed. It all comes out in about 10 minutes if the van was on fire I bet I could get it out in three. only two screws secures it all in place other then another four that hold the cargo grill which is panelled over to match the rest. It is like a puzzle the floor the last to go in holds it all in place. It could be set up in any vehicle of the same model otherwise the floor may have to be redone if it was set up in another model. Total cost less then 200 dollars, including varnish. Three sheets of 4mm panelling a bunch of recycled 1x and one sheet of 12mm ply for floor and top of bed. looks a million bucks well worth it, the value of my van has increased, not that many hours, more time spent thinking about it and that is just fun...so is building it.:)

I've met literally hundreds, maybe thousands of vandwellers in the last 12 years and they have varied from ultra-simple to ultra-fancy. And not one of them was a mistake!!

They were just the right way for that person at that time. Every person will have different needs and abilities and if they make a van home that pleases them then they are winners in my book!

Having said that, I do think the majority of people are better off with as simple a beginning as possible. As they learn more then they can make changes as they know exactly what works for them. I've had three completely different vehicles I've lived in and totally changed each of them within 6 months of moving in.

So here are the things I recommend to begin with because they are cheap, useful, and easy to install the first time and easy to change again later:

1) Simple bed and shelves using plywood and 2x4s
2) Plastic Totes and Drawers
3) Cheap or used furniture, especially drawers, dressers and desks

Bob

your original question is "Are Time Consuming Conversions a MISTAKE"

well, it's all relevant (as much as the rigs themselves are), as to what 'time consuming' means to each individual, and at what point the conversion time becomes a mistake.

Me personally??? I've built all kinds of rigs. Everything from basic van conversions and simple RV mods, to full on complete hot-rod builds, and choppers where I had to build absolutely everything, from the frames on up. My latest hot-rod truck project I've been building for nearly 7 years now....YES...7!!! I also designed and built my own custom home too. I see alot of folks on here who modify their rigs because they can't stand the way the original builder or manufacturer designed it from the begining. I understand this mindset, and I am NOT someone you'll meet driving a storebought van. Everything I've got I've customized in one way or another

But...you see, I get alot of enjoyment from building my custom things, so in my eyes, taking a long time to do a build is something I don't necessarily mind. It's not a "mistake".

Some folks find hanging a single shelf on a wall a big challenge, and the thought of framing, building, wiring and plumbing a small van into a conversion/dwelling is a unbelievably daunting proposition. They have no idea where to start, or how to proceed. The tools are unfamiliar, nor do they have any idea of how to use 'em.

heck...I've been at this game for over 30 years now, and I'm still learning about new tools, fasteners, and techniques I've never even considered before. (It's funny how tools or tricks can merge from one industry to another.) I love learning new stuff like this.

Look at the volume of questions this forum gets about solar panels. There's ALOT to learn if you have no idea of where to start or how to proceed...especially considering the initial investment of materials. Most everybody wants to learn as much as they can in order to make the best educated purchases to fit their individual needs and applications.

lastly, a person who's recently lost their living space, has little savings, and has few alternatives, will find that building a van while trying to live in it, while maintaining a job, will constitute a phoenominal difference from the retired fellow, who has a nicely set-up shop and all the time & money in the world to do a quality build with lots of very nice features in it.

is the more elablorate build a mistake over the quick one??

not if you're enjoying the process. :D Y'all Have Great Week!!!

Well ... yes and no. Although I am new to this as well, it is something I spent a lot of time deciding myself. And to me, it all boils down to these things :

I would never choose a questionable vehicle to do an in-depth conversion on. My bus is a 1985, but in very nice mechanical shape.

Remember ... ANY used vehicle is a risk. Always. But I have bought used vehicles with 150,000 miles on them, which are still running strong at 300,000 miles.

So if you feel queasy about the mechanics of the vehicle you are considering, I would think twice. But if you buy a decent running vehicle, it is VERY rewarding to do it as "right" as you can afford to.

If your vehicle is old this is a valid point. I think a conversion that is functional is all you need. I would say if i focused just on build time, my conversion took maybe 3 days....the bulk of it on one 12 hour marathon tho. Ive kept cost below 2k. It has a divider wall, counter, sink, bed, batteries, heater and rubbermaid dressers and storage. Remember that a lot of it is reusable as well. I redid the layout with bed at back and it cost me nothing and took a couple more hours, mostly pulling nails. A little cutting or shimming and viola, transfer to new van. Help if you make it semi free standing.

I chose function over form, simplicity over feature, and practicality over luxury. I spent about 2K including the price of the van and new tires. It took me about 3 days total to set up the interior. My van is a 1989, and that fact did rear its ugly head on me on the first night out of my adventure when both the alternator and the brakes went out on me at the same time. Luckily I have the tools to fix 90%, and the knowledge to fix 100% of my van where ever I am. That really set the matrix of the decision to buy a 1989 instead of a much more expensive 2009 van. I chose $800 and my knowledge/tools over $10,000 with a warrantee.