Apparently it gets hot in the desert?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scout80 said:
 [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] "Why would you go there? [/font]You know Phoenix didn't exist until air conditioning was invented...no does jack outside in the summer!!"  

lol...this is actually pretty much true.

I remember overnighting there with 114 degrees at midnight back during the heat wave that was killing Firestone tires. This was before we had APU's for sleeper comfort, and we had to idle the engine up to 1200 RPM just to get enough airflow over the condenser and radiator. 

I'd be driving thru the Phoenix area at 1 AM and the road construction crews were working, baseball fields were lit up with softball players, and spray-planes were dusting the cotton fields in the dark....they looked a bit like UFO's with all those bright lights!

Of course, Phoenix can be quite comfortable the other 8-9 months or so....

Oh no, he genuinely believed that Phoenix literally did not exist until the 50s or 60s when people could get air conditioning in their homes...

I remember my first week here, a decade ago. I hooked up with one of the local dirt bike clubs, and we were to go somewhere out in the desert for a morning ride in late May. I asked when I should meet people out there...9..10am? One guy laughs heartily, and says "10am?!?!?! We'll be done and HOME by 10am!! We'll be at the trail head around 3:30-4am!" I quickly learned why :D

Now though, the only time that bothers me is Monsoon, when the humidity jacks up. 115 and dry doesn't bother me in the slightest bit - I'll still be outside working, all day long in May and June! Now? It's too darn cold for me! I relish temps in the high 80s, low 90s.

Scout80 said:
Oh no, he genuinely believed that Phoenix literally did not exist until the 50s or 60s when people could get air conditioning in their homes...

People worked and "lived" in and around Death Valley in the 1800's , as well as Arizona.  We're just spoiled.

pnolans said:
People worked and "lived" in and around Death Valley in the 1800's , as well as Arizona.  We're just spoiled.

True, but they didnt work in glass faced office buildings and have to get in a steel and glass box at 5 pm that's showing 175 degrees inside.

It's called 'survival'!

:p

What's the latest on when Phoenix will run out of water? I see they give Vegas 30 yrs.
"There is no lack of water here unless you try to establish a city where no city should be." - Edward Abbey

Shhh... keeps the riff raff out!

gsfish said:
Non temperature related silly question that was asked of me once.

I was returning to my car after a day walk on the Appalachian Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park just north of Newfound Gap parking area. A family was heading north about a quarter mile from the lot and as we passed the father puffed out "How far does this trail go?" What a set up, of course I matter of factly answered "Maine".

Guy

Dang, all this time I thought it was Mars.  Starts with an Ma... but we need more potatoes. 

:huh:

What the goldurn heck am I talking about????  

It's hot on Mars, right?

Spaceman Spiff said:
My answer to those kind of questions is " Ya, it is a scorching 348º Kelvin in Quartzite today"  :p

You ain't kidding, since 348 Kelvin is over 160 degrees Fahrenheit :D