Apparently it gets hot in the desert?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderLoveJosh

Reaction score
You ever just get responses that just blow your mind and make you wonder what someone is thinking? lol

We are currently in Colorado Springs, at an RV park. Its a nice little community, and the word has gotten around that we are leaving end of December. So people ask where we are going. We reply, down to Arizona. And I swear, every person replies.. "You know it gets hot down there right?" Well obviously in the summer, I'm sure its unbearable in certain parts, but we are clearly gonna be there in the winter. 

Maybe I'll just start replying "Yeah I'm gonna try to cook myself like an egg on a hot rock".

I was in Denver until just before Thanksgiving. It had already had a cold spell well below freezing by then so my answer would be why yes it does get hot...Thank God!

It hasn't been constantly unbearable here, but still I'm ready for much constant warmer days, so yes please bring on the heat!

One guy even was asking something about our air conditioner, i replied, "yeah we were in a van before with no air, and did just fine". 

I'm actually surprised at how little some people who live fulltime in an rv know. Then again its also big expensive rigs and thats generally from what i've seen a different way of living the rv life all together.

The heat certainly has not kept Phoenix from turning into a mega city! 5th largest city in the US. Daytime traffic is staring to look like LA!

-Mike

Add to that, at least 2 or 3 regional climate 'zones' in Arizona....people just have no clue.

Deep South Texas got hit with snow last week....and that freaked out the 'Winter Texans' (snowbirds) down there expecting warmer weather!

WanderLoveJosh said:
 . . . "You know it gets hot down there right?"  . . .

My answer to those kind of questions is " Ya, it is a scorching 348º Kelvin in Quartzite today"  :p

After working all summer at 100 degree plus temps it feels cold to me when I go to Arizona!!! I'll be the guy with the heavy winter jacket on when it's 60 degrees at the RTR.

tx2sturgis said:
Add to that, at least 2 or 3 regional climate 'zones' in Arizona....people just have no clue.

Deep South Texas got hit with snow last week....and that freaked out the 'Winter Texans' (snowbirds) down there expecting warmer weather!

Hauled a load of garage doors down to McAllen, Texas many years back when they had a freak snow storm.  Left maybe a couple inches on the ground.  The fella that ran the distribution place was just laughing telling me how his kids were having a blast having snowball fights since they had never seen snow before.  The birds were even freaking out.  I just thought it was really cool that the kids were able to experience snow.

WanderLoveJosh said:
We are currently in Colorado Springs, at an RV park. 
I recently left the Springs for AZ.  Other than masterplumber,  the median IQ just took a huge dive.  
Sorry, 
But it DOES get hot down here.
:D :cool: :p
hhahahahahahahahahaha

or dry cold, Wild Horse Nevada tonight 7f. the High Desert get really cold. highdesertranger

My favorite part of Arizona is that you can go skiing, and then enjoy warm weather all in the same month in the same state.

I'm from Ohio, where you get shit cold weather constantly in the winter.

I like that Arizona gives you options.

One of my buddies back home is a stereotypical Asbergers - scary intelligent, IQ through the roof, does things with computers/technical things that impresses most "technically oriented" people, shocking lack of social skills, etc. Even he seemed shocked that I would intentionally move to Phoenix - "Why would you go there? You know Phoenix didn't exist until air conditioning was invented...no does jack outside in the summer!!"

Of course, there's also the "it's always HOT and DRY in Arizona!!!" If only...I woke up this morning to 40*F outside...bring back the heat, please!

In Tucson, just for fun, they drive up Mt Lemmon, load up the pickup with snow, then drive home with it.  Don't know why. Only in Arizona. Most people are usually shoveling snow out of their pickup. Lol.
I wonder how much snow fits in a high top NV and how many snow men that will make?

pnolans said:
I recently left the Springs for AZ.  Other than masterplumber,  the median IQ just took a huge dive.  
Sorry, 
But it DOES get hot down here.
:D :cool: :p
hhahahahahahahahahaha

I was obviously being silly.  What those people you talked to don't know, is that Colorado is full of snowbirds , especially from AZ, who come up there during the summer. The weather here right now, is of course, quite nice.   It seems to be a well-kept secret.  

As you said, AZ has great weather most of the year, if you're a nomad.  You could spend the whole year here. And it has not escaped my notice that there is a ski place north of Flagstaff.  

I sometimes miss CO, but not in the winter.  I lived there for 21 years, and 7 degrees for a week is just a little much when you're 65.  

Regards,

Pat