Anyone used the Coleman 3-burner propane stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I found a brand new 3 burner Coleman stove in the pawn shop today.
This one http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...-Stove/dp/B001RDM2NC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have a single burner Coleman that works good but have been wanting a larger stable stove. Looking at reviews complaints about the controls may be a little finicky but not a big problem.

Some reviews talked of using a lot of propane. If I can get the price low enough I will buy it and find out but he has it tagged for $75.00 and I haven't made an offer yet.
A SEEKER

Will you be at RTR? I have a 3 burner that needs a $12 part, and will be bringing it along. (Price negotiable) I have a new 2 burner for my own use. I dont see myself needing more than 2 burner for a while.

i just recently picked up a Century (Primus) 2 burner almost unused in a pawn shop for $10. The deals are out there, just have to keep an eye out for them. $75 seems steep when you can get it brand new delivered for $108

Gotsmart I won't have the funds together in time to make RTR this year. I don't need 3 burners either but the griddle that goes on that stove might be nice to have.

cdiggy I would hopefully not pay 75 although its never been used because at that price I would have to think about saving a little more and getting the camp chef stove and oven.
A SEEKER

Are you set on using propane? Here's some kerosene stoves. I'm going for the 14,000 btu aluminum one myself but there is a two burner one that I was considering. Also has an oven that can be set on top.

GypsyChic

gypsychic said:
Are you set on using propane? Here's some kerosene stoves. I'm going for the 14,000 btu aluminum one myself but there is a two burner one that I was considering. Also has an oven that can be set on top.

GypsyChic
My only problem with kero or white gas for that matter is that they fume when you first lite them and especially when you turn them off. Maybe these stoves have solved that.

Kerosene stinks.
I bought a new coleman three burner propane stove at wall mart for less than $50 at an end of season sale.

cdiggy said:
My only problem with kero or white gas for that matter is that they fume when you first lite them and especially when you turn them off. Maybe these stoves have solved that.

I don't think these stoves have solved that issue but I'm not overly concerned about it. It's only for a short bit and if the area is ventilated it gone pretty quick. I also grew up with a kero heater as our main heater for several years so I'm used to it. The smell reminds me of childhood I guess.

Here's a very detailed review of the butterfly stove I'm going to get. I found the review after I had already decided on the stove not the other way around. It's been posted before but here's the link for Miles Stairs Wick Shop which has loads of info on everything kero. Just for anyone who is interested in the future.

To each his own. I was just putting another option out there in similar price range. Propane is the more common choice but I don't like the idea of a pressurized explosive inside a moving vehicle that could get into an accident. This is the solution that I'm most comfortable with.

Cheers,

GypsyChic

What is going to happen to your tin or plastic can of kero in a vehicle accident? Or how about if you spill some inside the van?

ccbreder said:
What is going to happen to your tin or plastic can of kero in a vehicle accident? Or how about if you spill some inside the van?

Well I was planning on keeping it in an enclosed container, storage tote. Now that you mention it I'll be wanting to place that container as close to the middle of the vehicle as is feasible I imagine. There are siphons and I'd be refilling outside like I did when I was a kid. My grandma used to say a stitch in time saves nine, and I've always remembered it. Cleaning up any spill inside a vehicle would be a pain, let alone a fuel spill.

Maybe it is one of those irrational things left over from childhood, but I'm just more comfortable with kero than with propane. But I may change my mind once I'm in my vehicle. It's all theory to me now. Only basis is my past experiences with a kero heater at home and all different fuels in backpacking and camping. I can adapt.

I also have heated with kero in the past. I only argue kero and propane are safe to use and neither have a advantage in safety. Propane is a bit more convenient.

Well it's no go on the 3 burner Coleman. Guy at the pawn shop is really proud of it on his shelf. I even came up to $60 and no bite. It probably is worth slightly more than that as it is brand new but I only wanted it cheap because I don't really need it although the griddle attachment would be nice.

Those kerosene stoves are very economical and would work good but I have the small gas backpacking stoves already.

For vandwelling might just stick with my single burner propane for now until I see a more appealing product and maybe add the camp chef stand alone oven later.
A SEEKER

I am finding as a vandweller, that space and ease of use is primary.

Go to goodwill or other second hand stores. I saw a 2 burner for $10 today! It did not have the wind guard, or I would have snapped it up.