Anyone use powdered milk these days?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanKitten said:
I will try this.

I agree with Queen...in my childhood that stuff was just awful

Mom was a big canned milk fan. Canned milk and oatmeal so thick the spoon would bend. I wonder how we made it to adulthood.

tav-2020 said:
Just wondering. Have not tried it in decades, but wondering if it is better than it used to be?

I prefer Nido over other brands. When I had to depend on the city bus, and needed milk, I tried a lot of different brands. (a gallon of milk is pretty heavy to carry around). I also found liquid milk that is shelf stable that comes in a quart box called Natrel 1%, that's pretty good also and you can keep it in the cabinet for emergencies.

I try to avoid it, but use shelf stable if I plan to drink it or good quality powdered (e.g., Hoosier Hill farm or similar) for baking. Much better than what we had as kids, imo.

Powered milk from A2 cows for me. I am not lactose intolerant and do not have chronic gut problems but A2 is good for me. Only tried a few brands before settling. Does taste a little different from real milk but nothing like the stuff from a few years ago and fine in a Latte. I have limited fridge space so often only mix a little at a time. Very convenient.

Yes for everything that I would use wet milk for. I don't have refrigeration. I haven't tried milk in a can yet though.

No, but I weren't lactose intolerant, I would - because when I travel all the food I take is dried. It's lightweight, easy to prepare, and keeps forever. You just have to make sure and drink lots of water after meals.

Gossner uht is good. If you're looking for a powdered whole milk, Peak is excellent. It dissolves instantly, very creamy. I use it in coffee, keep on hand for emergencies. Only downside is cost. Amazon carries it.

Edited: no idea why Amazon says add it to previously boiled water. Maybe camping instructions per sanitation? We just use cold water.

I use Nido or Peak in my coffee, whichever I can get cheaper. I'm not a milk drinker, but I have used both on cereal. When mixed according to directions and chilled, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the powdered and fresh milk. Both Nido and Peak are whole milk, meaning they contain butterfat. Carnation evaporated milk and Milkman brands are skim milk, which is one reason that they don't have a great flavor.