Anyone use powdered milk these days?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
Just wondering. Have not tried it in decades, but wondering if it is better than it used to be?

I use Nido powdered milk. Much better tasting than Carnation.

Nido is very popular amongst the hiking crowd.

I carry powdered goats milk because I'm lactose intolerant and have a hard time finding lactose free dairy products in different parts of the continent. When I can find lactose free I buy it but keep the powdered milk in reserve.

It also comes in handy for emergencies!

It is much better now than it used to be. (at least my mouth thinks so)
I even use it for cooking anything that requires milk , just add a little water with the powder .

Plain powdered milk, which is nonfat, is rather bland to me. To greatly improve the taste, I mix 1/4 whole milk from a bottle with 3/4 powdered milk and water. This formula also helps to maximize space in my small fridge.

VanForNow what are the units you are referring to? 1/4 cup? to 3/4 cup? could you be a little more specific. highdesertranger

jimindenver said:
I use Nido powdered milk. Much better tasting than Carnation.

That's good to know, last time I had powdered milk was probably 40 years ago and it was nasty.

Since I can't stand milk there is no point in me having it just for an occasional recipe as it goes off before I use even a small portion. I make use of powdered milk for cooking. It's actually pretty logical for me.

I occasionally use it when I feel like experimenting. I only add 1/2 of the water it calls for for a desired amount, I add a pinch of sugar and whip a little air into it with my wisk.

highdesertranger said:
VanForNow what are the units you are referring to?  1/4 cup? to 3/4 cup?  could you be a little more specific.  highdesertranger

The 1/4 & 3/4 are proportions, suitable for any amount, whether a cup, quart, gallon, etc.

so I would mix the powered milk with water and then add the whole milk? so to make 1 cup I would need to rehydrate 3/4 cup of powered milk and add 1/4 cup whole milk? or 3qts of rehydrated powered milk to 1qt whole milk would make a gallon. I think I got it. highdesertranger

My favorite bread recipe calls for a quarter cup of powdered milk. I think it adds a bit of richness to the flavor.

Horrible powdered milk still exists, but for a while I was using Bob's Red Mill powdered milk and it's much better than what you buy in bottles in the grocery store -- very creamy and sweet. (Did subscribe-and-save on Amazon. Now I'm trying to boycott Amazon but it's not working out that well since I just bought off it yesterday.) It's not super-easy to mix, so know that you should use warmish (not too hot, not too cold) water if you're mixing it into a drink -- it's better to use a little bit of liquid, make a paste, and gradually add more liquid, to avoid lumps. Mixing it into a recipe shouldn't be a problem. I also like that powdered goat milk that comes in a purple can (don't remember the brand), and "Better than Milk" nondairy milk-substitute powder. That reminds me, I should try the Better than Milk again, since I've stopped dairy.

for rich I use condensed milk full strength. in other words if the recipe call for 1/2 cup milk I put in 1/2 cup condensed milk without cutting it with water. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
for rich I use condensed milk full strength. in other words if the recipe call for 1/2 cup milk I put in 1/2 cup condensed milk without cutting it with water.  highdesertranger

Non-sweetened variety, yes? Def rich. Would evaporated milk work the same way? I think there is no added sugar ever to evaporated milk, whereas condensed milk there usually is.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Canned milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk are not sweetened, used for regular eating and cooking.

SWEETENED Condensed Milk is sweetened, and usually used for desserts. There are six brands of sweetened condensed milk, and ALL of them say so on the label.