Anyone use gaming or workstation laptop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't have to get an old computer. GOG is short for Great Old Games, which you can find at gog.com

They get DRM-free games, usually older ones but not always, almost always cheap but not always, generally get the latest patches and greatest expansions to them, and update them to work on modern computers. Forums are there too, to help share knowledge of individual games or games series.

I like the site because DRM schemes can be anywhere from very limiting to something that spies on your computer and on you to something that outright damages your computer. These days, if I fancy a new game, I'll generally just let a few years go by so I can get it DRM-Free, cheaper, and playable with a cheaper computer than you need to play a game when it's brand new.

They do have the Descent series, which I think eventually went to like four or five games.

Dingfelder said:
That's a type of game I'll never play again, though I did enjoy, for the most part, losing those years in Everquest.  Hey, it kept me sane under very tough and dismal work and life conditions, so it wasn't a total waste.

10 years I played WoW. I enjoyed most of it. But then I know I would have enjoyed going out and doing things too, if I had...

[quote pid='390660' dateline='1530485431']
They do have the Descent series, which I think eventually went to like four or five games.
[/quote]

Didnt know descent went past II  might have to check it out

Descent continued on in Descent Freespace games, which took you out of the tunnels and into space. They were very popular. I liked 1 and 2 the best though.

I think there actually was an officially named Descent 3, but can't recall whether it took place "indoors" or out.

A Savage Adventure said:
10 years I played WoW. I enjoyed most of it. But then I know I would have enjoyed going out and doing things too, if I had...

Ten years!  WoW indeed.

That game was truly a money machine in its heyday. 

I was living paycheck to paycheck in an expensive city, and didn't have many alternatives, or ones I could sustain for long, so games kept me sane and on the straight and narrow, I credit them for that.  A lot of the opportunity they removed wasn't really there.

It is not necessary to have a table on the bed or over the bed for a laptop. I like take a stand for the laptop when I play games while lying on the couch. Moreover, I can adjust the height of the stand to place beside him to watch movies or type messages. A little table is a bit too much. I'm talking about myself

Dingfelder said:
I was living paycheck to paycheck in an expensive city, and didn't have many alternatives, or ones I could sustain for long, so games kept me sane and on the straight and narrow, I credit them for that.  A lot of the opportunity they removed wasn't really there.

To a degree I shared those attributes...I didn't really have any friends when I lived in CA anyway and the games allowed me to meet people that I could relate to. First week in CA I offended so many people. Being from NY they weren't used to someone without a filter.

Apparently I didn't "sugar-coat" things enough. So yeah...WoW...there are no filters in WoW.   :D

By the way, this thread went slightly off-topic a few times in regards to power to run our "gaming" PC. I mentioned some issues I was having with two different inverters plugged into the 12VDC socket. Well I have since gotten the schematics for this RV from Jayco and today I pulled out the power converter and connected my 1000W Cobra Inverter to the battery cables. Now my new laptop with the 200W power adapter can connect no problem. I ran it for several hours without issue, although I have yet to determine why the inverter always reports 0 Watts power consumption, despite properly powering this laptop.

A Savage Adventure said:
10 years I played WoW. I enjoyed most of it.

I recently stopped playing WoW myself, played for about the same amount of years, though the last few were off and on for a couple months at a time at most. I don't miss it, the people I talked to the most I still talk to out of game so that's what matters. It really does suck the life out of you, though. I wonder how much I could sell my account for, haha. I've got a $1,000 toy item on there from one of the earlier blizzcons according to ebay.

More on topic though, I'm super glad to see there are plenty of folks who use heavier duty laptops on the road. I have a mid-grade gaming desktop right now. It runs the newer games alright (not top graphics, but I don't really care that much about that), but since I've gotten my camper trailer I've been contemplating a laptop because my desktop will just take up way too much juice on a solar system I'm wanting (Planning on around 1000w setup on top of the camper, but need to do more research.) It would run the desktop, but since I need to stick around Michigan during the winter, the lack of long days of sun and a lot of cloudy days means I'll be hobbling come the snowfall and want the extra watts to keep my bank charged up for the dark ages.

I mostly use it for graphics and 3D modeling, but I do relax and game on rainy days. A laptop would just be more cost effective, especially if I can unplug for a few hours and not be a drain on my system or just use my tablet for general browsing purposes.

Well, it's actually good for modern laptop batteries to be drained and recharged. In my previous HP I rarely ran off battery power. Maybe only during company meetings and such, so the battery never went below 90%. Well after a couple of years it barely lasted 2 hours after originally lasting 5 hours. I should have gotten more use from it, but I never really cycled it. On this laptop I unplug and run it until the battery gets low then plug it back into the inverter (now that I have it working) to recharge. It lasts 5+ hours on battery. Hopefully that will be the case for a few years.

Im all so a heavy gamer my favorite game Mechwarrior online its a free game a mic and headset is a must for heavy team play
heres a link Its free give it a go!!
https://mwomercs.com

Anyway Im about to take off on the road full time :angel:

so I wont be playing online for a while so im reinstalling some single player games such as 
Skyrim heavily moded,fallout 4 moded,doom,evil within 2,and one of my fav. The flame and the flood small game but fun at night :)

Im running a   Area  51X r1 I3 8 gig's ram gtx 1050ti low power consumption GPU with a 310 external power break Il be using a inverter generator for now ..

I love the road but I cant give up my games lol

How do you all keep your laptop cool when you got to leave in vehicle? Im in a suburu wagon. Got uv black tint protection pads on side back windows..that wasn't enough so I bought sun shade cover for front window and wrapped laptop/case in a sleeping bag. Hope it works because i do my art and gaming on it. I hope to get a 3d printer too.

jperk said:
How do you all keep your laptop cool when you got to leave in vehicle? Im in a suburu wagon. Got uv black tint protection pads on side back windows..that wasn't enough so I bought sun shade cover for front window and wrapped laptop/case in a sleeping bag. Hope it works because i do my art and gaming on it. I hope to get a 3d printer too.

This is a situation where one of the Peltier thermo electric coolers might be worth while. They drop the temperature by about 40 degrees lower than the ambient temperature in the space. So if your car was 110 degrees in the interior of the closed up Subaru inside the cooler it would be up to 40 degrees lower than that. While that up to 40 degree drop would not make the interior of the cooler functional to keep food safe (or beer cold) it would keep your laptop at a reasonable enough temperature to prevent damage from excess heat. You would only need to use the cooler on the hottest days when you are gone for a longer period of time. On other days when you don't need to hook it up to electricity will also help hide the laptop from public view and function as a protective storage case. But just remember you will have to start the cooler several hours before you need to use it to get it chilled down for the time period when you really need it. It is not going to get instantly cold.

Those consume stupid amount of power for that little bit of cooling.

The keywords you need to be able to support a laptop and swing it out of the way are
"laptop wall mount support arm" use those words with the image search function

I currently have a Acer nitro 5. Does anybody know where to get a good 12v charger? I need 150w I think. I can't find any this large.

Also, I was thinking of getting a desktop rig for my rig. But the power draw concerns me. Does anyone else do this?

I use one of these mini PC's from HP: https://www.amazon.com/HP-800-G1-Re...1546358775&sr=8-23&keywords=hp+elitedesk+mini

I don't really game with it put is plenty for my needs. I like it because it is so small it can be put almost anywhere. I use the I7 version in the sticks and bricks (S&B). With a SSD it is really fast. I also have a car power cord for it like this: https://www.amazon.com/FidgetFidget...46359941&sr=8-6&keywords=hp+8530w+car+charger

You'll have to decide if it has enough power for you.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which is a fully capable computer in the form factor of a iPad sized tablet.

I purchased a 12v direct power cable for it and run it right from the power port of my car. I don't remember where I purchased mine, but Amazon has them should anyone else with a Surface not realize they could just have a car power cord.

I would be interested in a Surface Go for the fact that it is smaller and space being at a premium as it is ... But it uses a different magnetic charging connector than the Surface Pro 3, and I haven't yet seen car cords for it.

Both will handle Steam just fine. And Maple Story.