Anyone use gaming or workstation laptop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToyotaEscaper

Reaction score
Anyone else out there use a high speced or "no-compromise" type laptop or do any computer? You know the Alienware, MSI, ASUS and such? I still have the Alienware M14x from when I started and just got a new MSI WE72 7RJ 17.3 in workstation laptop. Got a nice Nvidia Quadro in it.

How do you set yours up or use it? I previously held it on the lap but recently got one of those adujustable little desk thingys that sits on the bed as well as setting the laptop on top of a cooling pad which I keep it on when also sometimes using on the lap. I wish I could find a small enough one of those little tables that is only supported by a post on one side and hangs over the bed like they have in hospitals.

ToyotaEscaper said:
Anyone else out there use a high speced or "no-compromise" type laptop or do any computer? You know the Alienware, MSI, ASUS and such? I still have the Alienware M14x from when I started and just got a new MSI WE72 7RJ 17.3 in workstation laptop. Got a nice Nvidia Quadro in it.

I use mine,  Predator 17 Gaming Laptop, Core i7, GeForce GTX 1060, 17.3" Full HD G-SYNC, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, G9-793-73MB, for graphics and photography editing.... have upgraded it to 64gig and is super fast... also use a second screen

WanderingBiker said:
I use mine,  Predator 17 Gaming Laptop, Core i7, GeForce GTX 1060, 17.3" Full HD G-SYNC, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, G9-793-73MB, for graphics and photography editing.... have upgraded it to 64gig and is super fast... also use a second screen

Wow very nice rig there. I like to do a lot of photography and video myself. I've been wanting a second screen for mine as well for multitasking, how do you have it set up? Is it a one of those ones that clips on to the side of the lid or do you use an external monitor when in the house?

ToyotaEscaper said:
Wow very nice rig there. I like to do a lot of photography and video myself. I've been wanting a second screen for mine as well for multitasking, how do you have it set up? Is it a one of those ones that clips on to the side of the lid or do you use an external monitor when in the house?

I use a 21" external monitor, got 3 1tb usb HD's as backups....

WanderingBiker said:
I use a 21" external monitor, got 3 1tb usb HD's as backups....

But where do you have the monitor sitting or mounted? Is it in your Van/RV or in a house?

ClassyGlobal said:
Could you modify something like this
www.golfoutletsusa.com/homegear-portable-rolling-laptop-desk-table-stand-on-wheels
or this www.pricedepot.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/l/fleximounts_d1dl_3_.jpg

Sorry for the long links :(  Get details on weights of your devices and weight limits of the stands.  also using L brackets can modify the monitor stand to fit the back of your monitor instead of buying custom plates

true.... but by building custom shelves, desks, and such, I can control my space better....

WanderingBiker said:
Right now in my house... will build a custom desk in my, soon to be purchased, toy hauler...

Sounds like it'll be pretty sweet mobile battlestation. I just lay in the van bed or use the library sometimes, they have empty tables with a power strip.

ToyotaEscaper said:
Sounds like it'll be pretty sweet mobile battlestation. I just lay in the van bed or use the library sometimes, they have empty tables with a power strip.

with a toy hauler (small one) I will be taking out the two side couches/beds and putting shelves for my vinyl, and stained glass ..... will use another space for a fold down desk... will rework the bed so I have storage under it and hopefully have enough room for me :)

I have a gaming specced Inspiron, and use it for work, though I don't need much 'oomph' for my work stuff, it's also for the occasional game.
I do have a USB powered and signalled monitor for it, though. At my 'local' office, I'm so used to having lots of monitor 'real estate', it's handy when I have to have multiple windows open, like when I'm migrating DNS zone files or the like.
So, now, with my office number available via voip app on my cellphone, and tethering, I can set up my Dell anywhere I can get a decent signal, and answer the phone, and work online as if I were at the office... and I have a neat little monitor that doesn't need its own battery, power supply, or video cable. Just a USB cord and an available 3.0 port on the computer.

Attached image is the USB monitor with my old Lenovo. Forgive the mess, as we were in the process of vacating the office to take everything home. I was using my mobile outfit there so on the last day, I could just slip it all into my briefcase and not have to pack anything else.
This little rig has also come in handy during the occasional power or internet outage we suffer in the country, so it's actually been tested to work away from my normal internet connection.

Attachments

• mobiledesktop.jpg
    mobiledesktop.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 19
Speaking of Alienware. I've owned a few. Sitting right next to the dinette in my RV is my last Alienware, which I used for playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in a "older guys" clan as well as World of Warcraft. Been a gamer since the 80s. Been a PC gamer since Wolf 3D. But I am taking this PC to my son in South Lake Tahoe tomorrow and giving it to him along with my WoW account and Steam accounts (140+ games). I realized I spent far too much of my life indoors and am giving the gaming life up to smell the roses, so to speak. The second photo is my laptop, which is being backed up because I ordered a newer one designed more for video editing than gaming. Giving this one to someone else.

As you can see the Alienware case is HUGE and takes up way too much space in here. The 28" monitor behind the laptop is nice, but not mounted for travel and there used to be 4 monitors connected to this PC. No way to duplicate that setup in this RV even if I wanted to.

Attachments

• Computer_01.jpg
    Computer_01.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Computer_02.jpg
    Computer_02.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 11
[quote pid='382896' dateline='1526972554']

As you can see the Alienware case is HUGE and takes up way too much space in here. The 28" monitor behind the laptop is nice, but not mounted for travel and there used to be 4 monitors connected to this PC. No way to duplicate that setup in this RV even if I wanted to.
[/quote]
Same here... my desktop is way to large....

so gotta do what ya gotta do .. :)

I have an asus gl552v. Biggest draw of power on my solar. More than the fridge lol

Theiznezz said:
I have an asus gl552v. Biggest draw of power on my solar. More than the fridge lol

I have to run the laptop, a cutter, two monitors, min. 2 backup HD's  ya its a lot of power... got to use my kill-a-watt to make sure I have enough solar during the day

An efficient fridge in mild weather can average well under 20AH per 24hrs, 40-60 as the temp differential climbs.

A gaming laptop, one screen can be 10+A, so yes that usage will be a very high load, not like aircon or cooking, but definitely should fill your roof with panels.

If you get an expensive bank, a proper BM will be better than a killawatt, ideally SmartGauge and/or Victron 712-BMV.

And try to run as much as possible native DC rather than through inverters.

Consider a small quiet genset also.

What's a cutter?

Good advice.I just ordered a dc charger for this reason. I think my laptop pulls 6 amp and my fridge is 2.5 amp.

[quote pid='384707' dateline='1527856983']
What's a cutter?
[/quote]

A vinyl cutter.. Sign making...

I looked for a DC charger on amazon.. no luck where do you get them?

thanks

Some gaming / powerful laptops can get up to 150W, but newer gear probably gets more efficient.

The "universal" car charger kits often max out at 90W or so.

But you can rig your own for **any** device, only need to be concerned about

correct voltage

sufficient watts / amps (get double what you think you need if it's cheap Chinese, remember peak rating is not continuous)

physical connector size, e.g. DC5521: O.D. 5.5mm, I.D. 2.1mm is a good standard among the universal kits

polarity, don't swap + / - !

Put a volts / amp display on it, can be used for battery charging, just disconnect once you see amps has dropped way low, or even stopped dropping for an hour.

Note that some HP, Dell and Apple models look for an electronic handshake, try to force you to use their branded charger only. But that's pretty rare, can google for workarounds.

Of course if your gadget's maker sells a car charger specifically for your unit, easiest is to just buy it :cool: