Anyone use Bokashi?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacqueg said:
"... I don't see that as compatible with van life! ..."

While preparing to go on the road, I'd been experimenting with bokashi composting since I was repulsed by the thought of people throwing their excrement into dumpsters.
For a long time I'd been stuck in the bokashi composting cat excrement phase, though recently achieved success (white mold)! I read that it can be further composted via a worm farm which would be one more item to haul around, preferably, outside the vehicle. I'd planned to put the bokashi buckets on some type of vehicle trailer. I have a long way yet to go.

Since I switched to a different bokashi mixture, I ended up with lots of tiny worms trying to crawl out of the bucket! So, I'm giving up on the bokashi composting (again) for now. I'm not sure if it's the different bokashi or the raw cat food, though I'm thinking (hoping) it's the different bokashi mixture.

solona said:
I hope you're being silly because I'm not calling anyone a dummy.

How Bokashi is done? Or how giving compost to a friend is done? ;) Compost piles are aerobic. That's why they need to be stirred. Bokashi is more of a fermentation process. You add the right amount of a "bran" formula that will break down your food scraps. It was developed by a man in Japan. It's anaerobic, so you deprive it of air and it shouldn't smell at all. It's quicker than compost and takes up very little room, so people in apartments use it where otherwise they wouldn't be able to have a compost in the city. You could use it to plant something indoors (like a potted plant) I suppose, but I'd rather add it to someone's compost pile. When I owned my acreage, I would have been grateful for someone giving me their pre-digested food scraps! So, I see it as gifting black gold. I would imagine there must be WWOOF hosts in all parts of the world who would appreciate compost donations. Otherwise I can hold onto it until I get back home and give it to my farmer friends.
I think it is a great idea if you have the space and desire to do it. I read up on it before I came back to discuss. After it ferments for 2 weeks, I read you should put it in the ground for 2 weeks or more before planting. If I read the info correctly. I like the idea that it doesn't take a huge amount of time to do it. If I had some land I would give it a try. :heart:

Gardenias said:
While preparing to go on the road, I'd been experimenting with bokashi composting since I was repulsed by the thought of people throwing their excrement into dumpsters.
For a long time I'd been stuck in the bokashi composting cat excrement phase, though recently achieved success (white mold)! I read that it can be further composted via a worm farm which would be one more item to haul around, preferably, outside the vehicle. I'd planned to put the bokashi buckets on some type of vehicle trailer. I have a long way yet to go.

I know of a guy on the tube who is a worm farmer. He works with Nasa and was in the video "Happy at Cern". The guy with the sign on his neck about Mandella. This may be a bit woowoo for some folks. LOL :rolleyes:

VikiBan said:
I think it is a great idea if you have the space and desire to do it. I read up on it before I came back to discuss. After it ferments for 2 weeks, I read you should put it in the ground for 2 weeks or more before planting. If I read the info correctly. I like the idea that it doesn't take a huge amount of time to do it. If I had some land I would give it a try. :heart:
Basically, you are fermenting your waste until you can find a real compost pile. No stink or unpleasantness, unlike what you'd get if you just stored your waste until you found a real compost pile.

What do you do with egg shells that isn't 'wasting' them? How about the seeds from peppers?

If you eat, you have waste. Bokashi is a great way to deal with food waste.

OP was just asking a question, looking for fellow composters.
You seem not to be. Broad generalizations and judgmental statements don't help anyone.

What saddens me is that I just got here, saw a post that interested me, and find that the OP is no longer posting. S/he got jumped on, and whoosh, gone.
I was hoping for better.

I really like this guy using the Bokashi. It's a nice made indeed and I am going to follow this guy to make an affordable Bokashi Bin.