Anyone trying a hammock for sleeping?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramakittycat

Reaction score
I'm curious how it has worked out in your van for sleeping.I'm not a lightweight person lets say >200<250 and I have chronic back issues. I'm wanting to try it out and Im thinking a solid material would be better than ones made from netting.Any suggestions welcomed! :)

I use one for day naps, it is a brand called "over the moon" or something like that, made out of parachute material, mine is only a double but the kings size one would be better for sleeping. Years ago I used a Mexican one to sleep on for almost a year of travel. It takes a while but you would get used to it. I think they are a great idea for inside a van. Here is a shot of mine
DSCN1203 (640x480).jpgthere are a few threads on here that have discussed them

Attachments

• DSCN1203 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1203 (640x480).jpg
    338.4 KB
Using one like the one in the picture would be fine, they're healthy for you, do some reading up on the topic, not all are built the same, watch Youtube and learn how to sleep in one. I took one on my last trip but never ended up using it.

I use a ENO double nest for when I am camping. They are comfortable and strong. I have room in my step van. I will probably consider it if I can find a good layout for it.

Sure Do !
IMGP1972.jpg IMGP1971.jpg

I prefer an Eno Doublenest for solo trips. I have a large Mayan Hammock that I use every night I'm not in the van, most comfortable thing I own !

Attachments

• IMGP1972.jpg
    IMGP1972.jpg
    176.7 KB
  • IMGP1971.jpg
    IMGP1971.jpg
    194.2 KB
I hammock exclusively while out on canoe/kayak/hiking trips.

If you're seriously interested in hammocking either outdoors or in your van head on over to a forum for hammock hangers at

www.hammockforums.net

and/or go find videos on Youtube. Here's his Part 1 link

Warning: Be prepared to spend hours and hours both learning at the forum and being seriously entertained by Shug.

There's a whole new world out there waiting for you.

And yes, there are people who hang who weigh in far more than you. Relief from back pain is the number one reason that a lot of people there have moved to full time hanging in their homes.

I've been sleeping in an ENO DoubleNest hammock in my van since last May. Love it; hate when I have to sleep in a regular bed now. I have continuing lower back issues which have pretty much gone away since I switched from bed to hammock. Bob also did a blog post about hammocks as well. The only downsides vs a built in bed than I can really think of is insulation during cold weather and the space it takes up when occupied. For me, the positives more than make up for any negatives, huge, huge fan of a hammock in the van.

I sincerely appreciate all the information everyone! I've never even been in a hammock ever so all the input has sold me.Since I have a mini van having a bed would take up a lot of room during the day and a hammock seems so easy to put it up then takedown in the day time.The weather is starting to get warmer and I'm getting my wee van togather.Can't wait to get out on the road! Have a fantastic weekend all!! :)

I've done a couple of posts on people using hammocks in vans:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/hammock-living-ultimate-simple-van-conversion/

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/4x4-van-conversion-sleeping-in-a-hammock-in-a-van/

Here I am trying my friends hammock out:

hampme-in-it.jpg

You do look comfortable there Bob :shy: ! Thanks to all the advice I have put an order in for the ENo double! I'll let you all know how it works out when it arrives!  :)

gramakittycat said:
You do look comfortable there Bob :shy: ! Thanks to all the advice I have put an order in for the ENo double! I'll let you all know how it works out when it arrives!  :)

I have the Eno double nest. Light and strong. You will like it. You might want to upgrade to the whoopie slings because the nylon straps stretch and you find yourself sinking to the floor through the course of the night:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/like/321157888539?lpid=82&chn=ps