Anyone Tested a Mini Air Conditioner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know why no one makes a 1000 or 2000 btu actual mini AC unit?

I always wondered why no one manufactured a miniaturized version of a window AC unit?

One maybe 1/4 the size of a home window AC unit that would consume only 200watts or so and run on DC ?

I know they have mini DC refrigerators.

Price should be under $500 usd

Wonder how long that would run on a 300ah battery pack...

Hopefully I’m right.

It’s 120 volts and 276 watts, so 2.3 amps.

Watts divided by volts equals amps.

This is where I could be wrong, If someone could correct me.

You then divide 300ah by 2.3 for 130 hours, doesn’t sound right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdoverl said:
To be honest, 97 degrees has not been that bad for me. I’m only running my car AC on the lowest possible setting for a few hours a day.

But I’ll definitely consider going to Prescott and/Flagstaff.

I’m not seeing any campsites listed in or around Prescott, could anyone recommend areas around there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The south edge of Prescott abuts US Forest Service land, and there is dispersed camping there. Plan to arrive on Monday to get a good spot, as it is Prescott's back yard, and lots of folks spend the weekend there. Contact the Prescott National Forest for more info. IIRC, there is a 7 day limit in that area. Haven't tried other areas around Prescott, as I only stayed there two weeks and then moved to Flagstaff.

Do you have the Boondocking app? Big help with this, although it is optimized for "boondocking spots near me" rather than "boondocking spots 200 miles from me where I might want to sleep tonight". Still very useful. Also look at www.freecampsites.net. They have a trip planner that is great. And finally, I recommend the Allstays RestAreaPlus app for when I'm driving from here to there and just need to know where to sleep for free.

The reason that 130-hour run time didn't sound right is that you're comparing amp-hours at two different voltages.

Convert the 300 ah battery bank (presumably at 12 VDC) to Watt-hours and you'll be in the ballpark on run time (ignoring things like inverter inefficiencies, Peukert effect, the need to draw lead-acid batteries down to no lower than 50% or so depth of discharge on a routine basis, etc.).