Anyone living in an SUV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfvamp69

Reaction score
i have a Toyota 4runner, thinking of converting it. Anyone out there living in a 4runner or simular SUV?​

I have a 4runner. Ive camped with it but full time would be tough. You could make it work if your a single person  and you do most of your living outside. You'll need a small tent(to hold your place at a campsite)  a screen room or easy up/down tarp system, and plenty of mosquito netting so you can open up the rear door and some windows. A rear hitch carrier would be a big plus as well.

I have a 2000 4Runner and will be building it over the next few months for full time living.  I don't get around as well as I once did and am 6'1".  Trying to figure out the best build is tough.  A raised deck will provide more room for storage but hurts on space where I would be able to sit upright.  I expect to do most of my LIVING outside but still need enough room to move the old bones around a bit.  Not a ton of info. out there where people have built 4Runners for full time living.  If anyone comes up with some good idea please do share.

Whit30 said:
I have a 4runner. Ive camped with it but full time would be tough. You could make it work if your a single person  and you do most of your living outside. You'll need a small tent(to hold your place at a campsite)  a screen room or easy up/down tarp system, and plenty of mosquito netting so you can open up the rear door and some windows. A rear hitch carrier would be a big plus as well.

I sold my 4runner and purchased a cargo van, MUCH more space. Can't wait until the build is complete   :)

Surfvamp69 said:
i have a Toyota 4runner, thinking of converting it. Anyone out there living in a 4runner or simular SUV?​

Hi, I'm new here, and have recently acquired a 2004 4Runner that I plan on taking out part-time at first. I'm not finished with preparations (and probably never will be) but hope to get out soon.
I look forward to your progress and that of others.

SUVRVing has a YouTube channel. He stays for weeks in his Toyota RAV4, which has a lot of similarity with the 4Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I'm converting a 1994 Chevy Suburban I'm not full time but thinking it may make a nice F/T rig in future. I also have a 5 by 8 Cargo Trailer I will tow when full time. I have removed the back seats and carpet leaving a large open space to work with, this week I'm installing insulation on the floor as well as a moisture barrier and will use plywood sanded and stained as the floor. I will have my bed in the center of the cargo area I'm going to remove old rear a/c and build cabinets on both sides my indoor/ outdoor kitchen will be in the area behind drivers seat. I'm hoping an extra captains chair from my van will fit and if so it will be turned around facing the living area giving me a Living room -Kitchen-Bedroom and portable bath room :)

I know the gas is going to be bad but I like having a Old School Motor (350) that relatively easy to work on and is powerful along with 4 by 4 and pretty high clearance may be worth it. I plan on operating a business I'm involved with out of the truck if I go full time and should be able to set up a comfortable indoor work area in bad weather. I already own the truck it has 230,000 mile but motor was replaced 40,000 on new one I will be going to the transmission shop to check it out and install Heavy Duty cooler. I would love to have a stand up Van but dont want payments and higher insurance figure if I'm full time will put aside $200 a month for repairs and see how it goes. Gosh I'm sorry my reply was so long if you made it this far Peace & Blessings!
MikesgonenoMAD

Here's a link to a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon build that I think is well thought out.

http://theroadchoseme.com/the-jeep

I think his water system and pop up tent are particlurly interesting. The company that makes the pop up tent makes them for a number of different vehicles, but not exactly cheap.

I became infatuated with the JKU Rubicon after renting one for the day in Sedona this past spring. I drove over obstacles I never contemplated driving a car over previously. It's somewhat lacking in carrying capacity, but if you want to get down tight trails and rough tracks, it's just the ticket.

The guy who built the jeep at the link above has driven fro Morroco, down through western Africa to South Africa and us currently heading north through east Africa. Quite a drive!

I really like the pop up roof idea but dang expensive. Way over my budget and would greatly delay my road-ready timeliness. Just have to do the best I can with what I can do on a very low budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk