Anyone here using a Satellite Phone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
Yeah, I wanna test these places. ;)

Please don't bother testing these places with the intent on contacting local service providers to prolifricate & expanding cell phone service.  Living mobile rarely allows the experience is to get away from microwave frequencies as it is.

Ralph Furley said:
Where can I find places with no cell phone coverage?  Location &/or cordinates to share?

This is just the places I stayed in October with 'NO SERVICE':

Ekalaka Park, Custer National Forest, Ekalaka, Montana
Wickham Gulch, Custer National Forest, Capital, Montana
Holiday Springs, Custer National Forest, Ashland, Montana
Boondocking near M-K Campground, Custer National Forest, Red Lodge, Montana
Boondocking along US 212, east of Cooke City, Montana
Ruby Dam, Alder, Montana
Copper Creek, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, Phillips, Montana
Boondocking along Montana 38 (Skalkaho Rd) between Porters Corner and Hamilton, Montana
Clearwater National Forest, boondocking east of Kooskia, Idaho
Boondocking in Lewis & Clark National Forest, Lewistown, Montana
Boondocking in the Judith Mountains, NE of Lewistown, Montana
Boondocking in Charles M Russell National Wildlife Refuge, south of Malta, Montana
Campgrounds and boondocking around Fort Peck Lake, Montana
Campground in Theodore Roosevelt National Park North Unit, Watford City, North Dakota

To avoid cell service, just look for a place a long way from any town, store, freeway, or highway. Hills between any of those and the location help. The cell companies already know the locations, in most cases it's just would not make money for them to add a cell tower to cover them.

T-mobile bought some additional frequencies and will be building-out some lower frequency longer range towers for areas that had no coverage in the next couple of years. This will require new phones.

Ralph Furley said:
  Living mobile rarely allows the experience is to get away from microwave frequencies as it is.

As an aside, microwaves from outer space constantly bombard Earth--they come from stars and interstellar gas clouds. There is an entire branch of science--called radio astronomy--that detects and measures them. So there is literally nowhere on the entire planet that is not bombarded by microwaves and other EM radio waves.

And all the stuff one sees on the Internet about the "harmful effects" of EM waves, is baloney. It gets passed around by people who flunked fourth grade science.

:cool:

I've used a CB radio successfully in multiple off grid locations. Couple years we rolled a jeep in the snow 7 miles in on a forest road off 395.. We reached out out for about 15 minutes and finally made contact with a skier on slope at June Mountain Ski area. He was kind enough to get the ski patrol who got the forestry department to come and get us... $1200.00 tow later we were back at the hotel:)

blars said:
To avoid cell service, just look for a place a long way from any town, store, freeway, or highway.  Hills between any of those and the location help.  The cell companies already know the locations, in most cases it's just would not make money for them to add a cell tower to cover them.  

T-mobile bought some additional frequencies and will be building-out some lower frequency longer range towers for areas that had no coverage in the next couple of years.  This will require new phones.

Thanks blars for your avoidance tips.  I do not use a cell phone & prefer to stay as far away from microwaves
as is possible.  I use this below link to locate towers/antennas when searching for rural real estate.  Might be
a losing battle, but worth it to me.

http://www.antennasearch.com/default.asp

This site helpful for anyone trying to pinpoint good cell reception, for those who want it. :s
Charlotte