Anyone got a good chili receipe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AMGS3 said:
My favorite way to eat leftover chili is to have it with Sunnyside up eggs for breakfast the next day. I've even had it in an omelette, but it's better with runny egg yolks. Yum!

will have to do the egg thing -- makes sense to me!

i ladle leftover chili on a baked potato with sour cream and then top the whole thing with shredded monterey jack. more than a meal and just delicious. and don't ever microwave any of it...that's just wrong.

In Hawaii and other places, they put chili on spaghetti, so there's another option. And it's often good to soften and make useful some dried out old bread you might have been thinking of throwing away. I often put bread in chili, to soak up any extra sauce or to wipe the bowl clean of it so none is wasted. I've put crackers in it too.

Dingfelder said:
In Hawaii and other places, they put chili on spaghetti, so there's another option. And it's often good to soften and make useful some dried out old bread you might have been thinking of throwing away. I often put bread in chili, to soak up any extra sauce or to wipe the bowl clean of it so none is wasted. I've put crackers in it too.
Chili mac is just YUM!

The Dire Wolfess

By that you mean mac & cheese?

And wow can't believe I forgot potato+chilli, do that all the time.

My daughter loves mashed, so I bake then the rest of us have skins

Dingfelder said:
In Hawaii and other places, they put chili on spaghetti...

Also known as Cincinnati style chili, only that chili tends to be really bland.

MrNoodly said:
A friend says, "Food is not properly seasoned unless it is painful to eat."

That's pretty close to my metric for how much mustard to use:  you should almost cough at least once.

Chinese Hot Mustard! Freshly mix the powder

Roland is good or Colemans second.

Clean out the sinuses like wasabi.

Super with any greasy mild sausage, BBQ pork, or roast beef.

Mix with regular just to add a little kick

Honey mustard, no water

John61CT said:
IMO chili spices, peppers etc really should go in during the fat - searing stage with the meat, well before the onions

Yeah, I found cooking the chili and typing up exactly how I cooked the chili were two very different beasts xD.

The sport and banana peppers I had were canned, so putting in with meat would have stopped the browning altogether. Also the pot was huge and I was cautious to put the spices in with the meat for fear of leaving a healthy brown crust on the bottom of the pot (easier cleaning makes for happier chef.)

But in general, great advice, searing peppers and spices definitely increases flavor!

Also, agree that chili over noodles can be very bland...I ordered some at a restaurant and to my surprise (disgust), what was in the bowl looked, smelled, and in my imagination tasted like canned dog food over spaghetti.......I've never not eaten left overs but that "dish" was an exception xD.

Anything can be bland though ... depends so much on the chili, just like with spaghetti sauce, or bread and butter. I regularly eat chili over rice, and rice tastes like pretty much nothing to me.

I had a big lasagna at a diner recently, basically tasteless.

Another one really looking forward to meatloaf & gravy w/mash, supposed to be mild right?

**So** much garlic! I mean I love garlic, but there's a time & place. . .

Unfortunately, even in some pricier restaurants, a lot of stuff comes pre-made, and pre-made usually means it's made to cater to the majority, who on the whole like food with lots of salt and sugar and fat, but otherwise insipid.

Re garlic, I love the stuff, but I get way too gassy if there's too much. I don't avoid garlic, but I can't necessarily eat my fill of it either.

I found this recipie online a couple years ago, I made this chilli for people all over New Zealand last year when I was travelling, always a huge hit.
Don’t forget to add the secret ingredient Love ;-)

Award winning chilli
1 lb ground beef
2 onions
Few sticks celery
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeño
1  14 oz (Mexican style) tomatoes
2 8oz cans tomato sauce
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp (smoked) paprika
1 14 oz kidney beans
1 14 oz black beans
(Drain and rinse beans before adding)
1 c corn niblets
1 c black coffee

Sautée: onions, celery, garlic, jalapeño (in bacon fat) in big pot 
When brown remove from pot & set aside.
Add more bacon fat to pot
sautée ground beef in same pot, when browned, remove and drain
then put browned meat and veggies back in pot and add seasonings, tomato stuff, corn and coffee 

Simmer for at least 2hrs 

I use bacon fat for the flavor but you should use whatever you want, butter, olive oil, whatever, 
Also I usually double the recipe as it dissappears at an alarming rate

by Mexican tomatoes do you mean tomatillos? because a tomato in Mexico is the same as a tomato here. highdesertranger

My Chili

I have never gotten anything but compliments on my chili other than it can be too hot for some, usually Northerners. It has the consistency of Sloppy Joe's and has beans which some may see as blasphemy. The bean sauce is a major ingredient. The batch can be easily doubled to feed more. Basic batch feeds 4-5. Start early in the morning if you want it that night, otherwise best if refrigerated overnight.

Ingredients:

1 - Lb. lean ground beef (leaner the better as less grease to remove)
2+ - Tablespoons Gebhardt’s Chili Powder (do not substitute others)
1 - whole bell pepper finely chopped (no larger than 1/4" chunks any color)
1 - medium onion finely chopped
3 - large Jalapeno’s finely chopped (the darker green they are the hotter they are)
1 - 14 Oz. bottle ketchup (regular not any jalapeno or other added flavors (ruins it)
1 - 303 can Ranch Style Beans (black label-no substitute)

Optional:
Finely chopped celery and/or carrots but not many for more nutrition

I chop all vegetables first.

Brown ground beef in pot large enough to hold all ingredients. Make ground beef chunks as small as you can. Once browned, push to side of pan and tilt to let grease go to other side or pour in colander. Mop up with paper towels. You don't want grease floating on the finished product.

Stir in chili powder to coat all the ground meat adding powder as necessary for a good coat on every piece.

Add the dry ingredients and stir in well over medium high heat. Add the wet ingredients. Add a little water to the bean can to clean the sauce out and some in the ketchup bottle to clean it out. If the finished product is too watery, simmer while stirring some uncovered at the end to evaporate. You do not want to burn it.

Bring to a boil over high heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cover.

The bell pepper gives it sweetness along with the onion. Do not add salt as the ketchup and beans cover that.

What I have found is Jalapenos are mild when light green and hotter as they get darker. I try to find ones that have veins in them (hottest).

Serve with Saltine crackers, butter and cheese if you must.

I call it my multi color chili, and is a camping favorite;

- 2 cans of black beans
-1 can white cannelloni beans
- 1 large can of red Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 lb of either ground sausage or cubed steak
- a sprinkling of brown sugar (teaspoon)
- green tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 teaspoon of pink sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- crushed garlic
- 1 diced yellow sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard (no kidding)

Serve with macaroni elbows, and/or cornbread. We usually do a big pot over the campfire for 5-6 hours to get all the ingredients infused with each other.

If you know beans about chili, you know chili has no beans. Terlingua 1978