Anyone else using Amazon?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this old thread came back up, I will comment......I ordered an item the other day. To my surprise, it showed up the next day in my mail box so I figure the post office brought it......Funny thing, I ordered it off eBay, but the package said it came from Amazon

Belinda2 said:
My post office accepts and holds packages for me. I can't get Amazon to deliver to my P.O. Box because they use Fedex.
I am off the grid with no house address.
Any ideas?????

If your local Post Office provides street addressing, this will fix the problem.

Your PO Box number becomes a unit number at a 'physical address', the one where the Post Office is located.

You have to go up to the counter and ask a clerk if they offer it, (or you can look online) and if they do, you will have to sign a 'Customer Agreement' form...then you can start to use the new 'address' right away. If the clerk at the window has never heard of it (which is possible), ask to talk to a supervisor.

BTW, I do as little business with Amazon as I can. Too many problems and issues over the last few years. Most ebay merchants will ship UPS and right to the PO 'street address'...

https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=mtcsa

My post office has closed for the weekend here on the east coast but I will check this out Monday morning.
Thanks you!

poncho62 said:
Since this old thread came back up, I will comment......I ordered an item the other day. To my surprise, it showed up the next day in my mail box so I figure the post office brought it......Funny thing, I ordered it off eBay, but the package said it came from Amazon

USPS delivers a lot of stuff from Amazon. Was there a gift receipt from them? A lot of ebay sellers search Amazon for prime qualified items, then create ebay listings for the item cost including shipping, but a buck or two less . People without prime buy on ebay from the listing to save the two bucks. Ebay seller purchases the item on Amazon with a prime account. They designate the item as a gift and input the buyers address. Amazon then delivers the goods directly to the ebay buyer, while the seller sits back and collects the postage they charged, all for the effort of creating a 2 minute listing. That's why you got it the next day, because prime now has 1 day delivery on a lot of items. I think it's a pretty darn ingenious way to make money for very little effort ~ but Amazon frowns upon it.

More information on Post Office Street Addressing:

I enrolled in PBSA (Post Office Box Street Address) when they started it here about 5 years ago.

I only use that format occasionally, mainly when a vendor will not ship to a PO box. Also, you should read the customer agreement, of course.

Your new post office street address will be in this format:

John Smith
1234 Main Street, #567
Anytown USA, 98765

You are free to keep using your PO box address, or the new address, and most websites wont be able to figure out that it is actually a PO Box.

Some things to be aware of: You CAN'T use it as a legal physical address, like on your driver's license, and when a vendor ships to your PBSA, when the package arrives by UPS or FedEx, at your local post office, it will be scanned as 'delivered'...so the tracking information online will show that you have received it, even if you are 500 miles away and a week from picking up the package.

Most of the time this is not a problem...but it can be if a shipper or vendor is waiting for email from you or a review or positive rating, that sort of thing.

Belinda2 said:
Please Help!,
My post office accepts and holds packages for me. I can't get Amazon to deliver to my P.O. Box because they use Fedex.
I am off the grid with no house address.
Any ideas?????
Thanks

If there is a UPS store anywhere near you, their P.O. boxes don't say "P.O." in the address.  They will hold packages.  If you can't pick them up they will forward them to an address of your choice for a small fee.  Fees at UPS Store are getting steep though.  $20/mo.  Best of luck to you!

I wish my PO box at the UPS store was $20 a month. I pay $900 IF I pay for a years rent all at once. Even at that I was just lucky to walk in minutes after the last renter had turned in his keys, both they and the paper work were still on the counter.

I use Amazon because I like the free 2 day shipping and for the variety of products.  Mine are still coming UPS.  Sometimes packages are delayed due to weather, re-routing because of various things.  I ordered a weboost and it was shipping out of Fla then Hurricane Irma hit.  Lately I've had delays because of the local UPS delivery folks.  They have certain routes and try to do what they can, it's amazing how busy they are and from October 1 to December 25, holy moly, it's the worst.  It's not necessarily Amazon is what I'm saying.  Sometimes if I get concerned about a package delivery, and If the item is sold by more than one seller, I will look at the seller info in Amazon, and I can generally contact the seller if I need to.  It depends on how that Seller ships.  If the seller has a great rating, I may pay a few extra bucks and use them if I know the shipping method that seller uses is pretty good about prompt delivery in my area.  Little extra hassle and money, but worth it on a must-have-it-right-now-and-i'm-concerned-about-delivery item.

jimindenver said:
I wish my PO box at the UPS store was $20 a month. I pay $900 IF I pay for a years rent all at once. Even at that I was just lucky to walk in minutes after the last renter had turned in his keys, both they and the paper work were still on the counter.

Wow, I'm surprised by that.  I would think the UPS stores would have consistency in their policies across their locations.  I just got mine.  It's the tiniest box you've ever seen, hence their lowest price.  Used to be $15/mo not long ago.  I did that because I just went paperless on almost everything in preparation for van life.  And, I won't be there to physically check it, so the policy at least at my local store is to call me if it's full.  Then I can ask them to forward what they have or toss it or some variation of that if the folks are friendly, but their policy is pretty much to forward everything in there, which means more postage.  Hopefully it will work out.

My box is not the smallest so I may be able to pay less if it were available. At the time I had to take what I could get to take control over that portion of my life. I am looking for options while I stay in Denver for a month.

VanTrekker said:
For those who are using Amazon, are you having trouble getting your packages on time?<br /><br />Much of the equipment in my van came from Amazon.&nbsp; The shipping used to be very quick - even the free shipping.<br /><br />Recently almost every package I get from Amazon uses Fed Ex Smartpost.&nbsp; The packages are getting routed all over and arriving very late.&nbsp; It's pretty irritating.&nbsp; Apparently, the problem is happening to quite a few of Amazon's customers...<br /><br />I was wondering if anyone in our group has ended up having this occur... For example, I have a package that was coming from Kansas through Fed Ex Smartpost and after eight days, it is now in Chicago!<br /><br />Grrrrr...<br /><br />V.T.

Ordered on Tuesday, shipped on Saturday, delivered Sunday. Very happy with service! (I chose free shipping, offered because of the $$ I spent.)

wow another 5 year old thread oldie but goody, I shop on the secondery market no amazon

what I have done when in the boonies is go to the closest town and simply ask a business if they will accept a package for me. I offer to pay them a small fee. it has always worked for me. highdesertranger

USPS has 'Hold for Pickup' option- Never used it.

Screenshot-2017-10-9 Postage Price Calculator Mail Services.png

Stamps.com Hold for Pickup Primer

Fed Ex and UPS have something similar- Where you pickup at a facility. I've used it a few times, you can alter delivery from their web link- or app.

Have had very few troubles with literally thousands of USPS packages. One would keep coming back to our facility, be sent out, then come back. The inspector pulled up a photo of the package- I was pretty amazed- And it somehow got straightened out.
Periodically, USPS tracking won't show until package is at destination- I've learned to just not look at it- LoL!
Overall it's sooo EZ to use post office; there's one always nearby, you can drop prelabelled items in a box, leave them at your mailbox, or even hunt down a postman- Done that multiple x's. Counter service can be slow and - Grouchy.
Downtown Mpls they postmark until 8PM M-F counter, 8PM Saturday mailbox! Airport is 24/7 365.

UPS I've had about the same number of problems, but for only a couple hundred packages shipped.
Their main facility is closed from 11AM- 3PM for some crazy reason.
Never ship with Fed-Ex, eBay didn't offer, so just never used it.

I hear you on Smart Post. Yikes!

So I would suggest using 'Hold for pickup' or whatever UPS/FedEx calls their facility pickup.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-10-9 Postage Price Calculator Mail Services.png
    Screenshot-2017-10-9 Postage Price Calculator Mail Services.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 6