Anyone camp at Slab City

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa Truck Gypsy

Reaction score
Not sure if it's super interesting to see the crazy art installation or if it's too dangerous for a woman alone.

to me the place seems to be way to meth-y and hip

It's super interesting. Don't miss East Jesus.

There may be some forum members camping near the LOWS (loners on wheels) section. Hopefully someone will chime in with more information about the location. If you don't find that area just camp near the road after you pass Salvation Mountain. It's a good spot if you're planning to stay for a short time.

Slab City is perfectly safe and tourist-y in the main areas during the day. Just don't wander around peoples' backyards in the dark and you'll be fine.

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
Not sure if it's super interesting to see the crazy art installation or if it's too dangerous for a woman alone.

I have wondered that, too. I have DH, but we are old. I have seen videos that paint everything as rosy and videos which paint it as a dangerous, drug-and-crime ridden anarchy.

I'm a woman alone. I camped there last year at this time. If I wasn't closely watching finances, I would have gone there this year.
Gcal, I don't know what you consider old, I was sixty two last year. I met some real nice ladies that live there much of the year. They were in their seventies.
Diane

Slab City is just like anywhere else, there are good parts and bad parts. I've never been there and would have no problem going there. The stoners and druggies hang out in their own section for the most part but occasionally one wanders around. Do the usual; don't leave your stuff laying around, lock your doors, don't park near the weirdos, etc.

... or decide an approximate time you want to visit there, then post to see if/how many people want to join you there in a "mini-rally/gathering"