Anybody Know Anything About HughesNet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirJoey

Reaction score
<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Was just wondering if anybody has the scoop on HughesNet? They're <br />website conveniently avoids any mention of price, or amount of MB U get.</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>They're trying their best to corral U into CALLING them, &amp; I <br />don't wanna listen to their hard-sell, high-pressure sales pitch.</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Why can't they just be up-front &amp; honest, telling U exactly what U get &amp; how much it'll cost?</strong></span><br /><br /><br />

They're the sort of businesses I don't deal with.&nbsp; If they can't be upfront now, what will it be like when you have a problem?&nbsp; Dollars are not everything.&nbsp; I will always pay a little more for good customer service.&nbsp; It is priceless.<br /><br />Lifey

<br /><strong><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;">Tink, thanx for the link. That's what I was looking for. Don't know why I couldn't find it on their site.&nbsp;</span></strong><br /><br /><strong><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;">Doesn't look to be a very good deal though, does it? For $80 a month, the speed would be the same as my current low-end DSL, &amp; U only get a measly 350mb download allowance, but they don't specify if that's per day or per month. Either way, that's pitiful. Even their top-of-the-line package isn't much better, costing $110 a month, with a speed only slightly faster than I currently have, &amp; with a pathetic 450mb download allowance. (per day, per month, whatever)</span></strong><br /><br /><strong><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;">Seems to me, the Netzero mobile broadband 4G thing would be a MUCH better choice, especially with no contract. Their top package is $50 a month, &amp; boasts 4GB, but is that the SPEED? Or the download allowance? The way it reads in the fine print, they're talking about MBs per month, &amp; unused ones expire, etc. 4GB per month doesn't sound like much either. So, if that's the case, then what's the speed?&nbsp;</span></strong><br /><br /><strong><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;">Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope....</span></strong><br /><br /><br /><br />

not only does the service come across as sub-par but I suspect it will not be viable for much longer. also all data HAS to go thru their main node, way to much&nbsp;opportunistic&nbsp;for censorship in my&nbsp;opinion. much like AOL in the beginning. Personally I would steer way clear of Sat-net and look for a wireless answer.

Also, if you need to do something where latency is a concern I wouldn't recommend this at all.&nbsp;<br /><br />

<p>Tioga George (<a href="http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/">http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/</a>) used satellite internet for years but&nbsp; recently gave it up&nbsp;for mobile broadband which is now much better and cheaper.&nbsp; If I recall correctly, the dish was at least a few thousand dollars plus the monthly fee.&nbsp; It was about the only reliable service out there when he first&nbsp;started out.</p>

yep, satellite used to be a good thing before cell towers were just about everywhere. &nbsp;Now however, if you are somewhere that cell towers and land&nbsp;lines&nbsp;are not, then satellite is about the only choice. &nbsp;But if you are anywhere near a cell tower (and that means pretty much within five or so miles of any freeway or significant two lane highway, in either the US or Mexico, aircards are a better deal IMO.

<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Okay, so obviously I should steer clear of satellite internet. So, what's "latency"?</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>And on Netzero's 4G, is that the speed, or download allowance? Or both? Does anybody know?</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>I wish they'd explain these things for the sake of old dudes like me who are digitally impaired. :-(<br /><br /></strong></span>

latency is the time delay in the signal getting from one place to the other. &nbsp;It is most noticeable in voice and video chats to very far away countries. &nbsp;Since satellites send the signal to space and then get it back, it is very noticeable.<br /><br />4G is a speed for purposes of Netzero plans.

<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Ah, thanx again, Mike!</strong></span><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>You da man! :-D<br /><br />Incidentally, I now know wot Bluetooth is!&nbsp;<br />SirJoey is almost ready to move outta the cave, YAY! :p<br /><br /></strong></span>

Bluetooth is a wireless connection used frequently between phones and a headset, or a computer and a headset.. I dont personally reccomend it as it's easily hacked.<br /><br /><br />
SirJoey said:
<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Ah, thanx again, Mike!</strong></span><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>You da man! :-D<br /><br />Incidentally, I now know wot Bluetooth is!&nbsp;<br />SirJoey is almost ready to move outta the cave, YAY! :p<br /><br /></strong></span>

<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Thanx, Nemo! <br /><br />So basically, it would be okay for using a headset with your cellphone, or maybe for playing your MP3 player through your Bluetooth car stereo, as long as U don't use it with your computer, right?</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Which for me, wouldn't be an issue anyway, cuz my computer doesn't have Bluetooth. In fact, my new cellphone is the only Bluetooth device I currently own. I didn't even know wot Bluetooth was till a couple days ago. <br /><br />As I mentioned, I've still got one foot in the cave... :p<br /><br /></strong></span>

My mother had hughes net, and it was awful.&nbsp; If the weather was clear and it was off peak you might connect at a little better than dialup, but most of the time you couldn't connect or it was slow as dialup.&nbsp; They throttle you like there is no tomorrow 'fair usage policy' or some crap.&nbsp; You pay to use the satellite but so do others, so you have to share with them like a good boy.&nbsp; It takes no time at all to reach whatever limit they use for the throttling.