Any Seasoned Chevy Van owner's question?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homeless, the US Transit is RWD, although there is a factory (upfitted) 4wd option. I think in the UK there are both FWD and RWD transit options.

MrNoodly said:
Like I wrote before, it really depends on how much stuff you're going to carry/tow. A 3/4 or 1 ton van would be over-sprung and a harsh ride if there's a modest load. And you don't need a 6.0L engine with a light load. A 5.3 or even a 4.8 are enough.

Agreed.
However, a full blown 3500 is the most stable, safe and "heavily braked" vehicle to have. They also have the highest resale value on average. Most are recycled with the very same suspension components they rolled off the assembly line with.
(Grease those front ends.) There is no question about towing.
In the case of the GM units, a 3500, nearly every single time, comes with a more stout transmission that is pretty much tops in its field. (Keep in mind, I have not seen post 5-year failure rates on the new Ford transmissions to compare yet...but up to that point, the only real Achilles heel for the GM trucks are the Displacement on Demand lifters failing. (Much more of an issue with police cars than private vehicles... (High idle time.)

Have you looked @ GSA AUCTIONS???

Because of the shutdown, there is going to be a glut of vehicles the market will not hold...pretty much right after they reopen.
There are sure to be some low mile vans there for very good prices.
(PM me if you need a little inside info)
The last one I bought was a 2012 (if I remember right) AWD GM van with 18,000 miles, a dent in the lower drivers side and hail damage that the dent wizard fixed for 200 dollars. Fluids, tires and a good detailing made it look very decent. ($11,250)
Anything even close in the retail market approached double that figure.

JD GUMBEE said:
However, a full blown 3500... They also have the highest resale value on average.
Which means a vandweller might be paying a premium for load capacity and such they don't need.

(Add a transmission rebuild at 150,000 and a couple ball joints, new rotors because yours warped...and that saved money goes out the window. More than out the window.)

I think the bast way to look at it is, a new or low-mile van, it is less important to be heavy duty, since you can impeccably maintain it throughout its whole life.

Buy a van with 100,000+ miles on it, and the 3500 becomes far more desirable.

Bought my 2007 3/4-ton with 155k miles. It now has 280k miles on the original transmission. No problems. Ball joints are fine. Replaced the front rotors and pads at 210k for less than $100. Did it myself.

I just looked a couple up.

In your year, it is very likely that you have 8 lug wheels.
If so, you also have the exact trans I talked about...and pretty much all the 3500 stuff underneath, with lighter springs.
:) That is a kick ass vehicle.

MrNoodly said:
Bought my 2007 3/4-ton with 155k miles. It now has 280k miles on the original transmission. No problems. Ball joints are fine. Replaced the front rotors and pads at 210k for less than $100. Did it myself.

It was probably a daily driver.

Homeless in Canada said:
It was probably a daily driver.

I bought it from a fire and security systems company.

MrNoodly said:
I bought it from a fire and security systems company.

Yeah they travel light. Fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, security cameras.

That's something you have to look out for with the 1 tons a lot of them have been worked pretty hard. Have to look for a good one that was only used to do the occasional towing. Not a plumber van that was used to carry 2000 pounds of gear and doing service calls all day long.

Looking at 1 ton chevy vans. Would like a 6.0 v-8 with locking diff. Also want the long wheel base.That is my dream van. Now what can I get by with? Is 2500 with 4.6 big enough? Do I really need locking diff? Is 4.3 v-6 a valid option? I don't know what I don't know. Any input would be helpful.

bigmike7300 said:
Looking at 1 ton chevy vans. Would like a 6.0 v-8 with locking diff. Also want the long wheel base.That is my dream van. Now what can I get by with? Is 2500 with 4.6 big enough? Do I really need locking diff? Is 4.3 v-6 a valid option? I don't know what I don't know. Any input would be helpful.

Believe me, unless you are towing something heavy, or are really loaded down, or are constantly driving in mountains, my experience is that the 4.8L is fine. I have a one-ton extended van with a 4.8L. It has plenty of pep. On the very steepest roads - say over the continental divide in the Rocky Mtns. it will slow down a bit. There's one steep part of the grade from Phoenix to Flagstaff where I top off at about 55 MPH I guess.  I can't keep up on the very top of the mountain from Truckee to Incline Village - just the last little bit...95% of the time, though, it's fine. It easily has more juice than my 4Runner with a V6. I imagine that the new V6 is similar. It's paired with an 8 speed I think.....

Check this out from the Expediter's Forum - these guys are on the road everyday. I go there to check out vans sometimes.

https://www.expeditersonline.com/fo...perience-with-the-ford-v10.69522/#post-808880

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Never drove a 6.0, have a 2010 chevy 2500 with the 4.8, that was decent power, and almost 500,000 miles on it and it still gets 17.5 mpg. [/font]

On the other hand if you want a 6.0 L - that's fine too ::)  Check this out from the Expediter's Forum (640K!)

https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/best-van-to-buy.70939/#post-839841

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Now with all due respect the reason I say this is the one van that I've had that I still am driving is a 2011 Chevrolet 2500 with a 6 liter engine and a 6-speed automatic and a 342 gear. I presently have six hundred and forty thousand miles on it have only replaced it water pump 1 valve spring One battery one set of brakes spark plugs and tires oh and a couple of front wheel hubs. It's still running strong. It has no leaks, it uses no oil, it's been on mobile one oil since it was new. Oh I did replace one transmission at 350,000 miles. Runs like new gets 18 MPG average.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Here's someone who said[/font]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I have both (4.8 and 6.0). The 6.0 puts a smile on my face.[/font][/font][/size]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Basically, I don't think you can go wrong! The 6 will have more power and probably be more fun to drive and probably eat a bit more gas. [/font]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You can find an Expediter's list of all maintenance costs for his 2005 Chevy One-ton  6.0 L extended van with 792,000 miles ::) It includes one deer collision :)[/font]

https://www.expeditersonline.com/fo...n-maintenance-costs-update.65071/#post-718324

• He changed his front pads and rotors at 377K!
  • He'[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]s gone through 4 windshields...:)[/font]
  • He finally had to replace a fuel pump (in the fuel tank)[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] at 732K[/font]
  • The starter lasted for 758K

Front wheel bearings (and an alternator - he's been through 8 of them!) were the only major repair I could see which came before 300K. Most of the major repairs came after 500K.  He's getting 17 mpg - undoubtedly all highway

Very impressive machine! 

Here's someone - he's got the big engine - and he's getting about 17 mpg - about what I get with my little V-8...All highway of course and loaded up I'm sure.

https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/your-truck.54028/#post-540519

Chevy 3500 extended van, good wheel base (155") 6 liter engine with a 6 speed transmission, which gives me an about 17 MPG, good expediting vehicle. Just to bad its not taller at the rear doors.

Here's another expediter with that big engine who's getting excellent highway MPG as well

https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/chevy-or-ford-cargo-van.43581/#post-390850

I have a 2009 Chevy 3500 with 6.0 with about 40k on it so far. If I drive strictly for mpg I can get up to 19 mpg all highway. More realistic overall driving gives me about 17 mpg.

It makes me wonder if the gas hit with the 6.0 comes in the city? They're doing fine on the highway.

If you're going off road much I would recommend a limited slip differential - very helpful - and nice BF Goodrich KO2 tires. I love my KO2's. They made an immediate difference and I couldn't see any drop in MPG. 

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

Firtree said:
I always plan on any used vehicle to need tires, all 4. Flush of all fluids including and especially tranny, maybe hoses. Brakes, hopefully just front and only pads but could be everything. Now that would be expensive.
Battery, the biggest and strongest you can get.

This year had a fuel pump (gas tank had to be dropped), big battery and the normal oil changes. Over $1000
Budget $15-1800 a year, some years won’t use others you will use that and more. New tranny can run $3500-4000.

The van you are looking for —10-16 Chevy/GMC should be a good vehicle. Mine is an ‘98.
Get a 3/4 ton not a 1/2.

Thank you all for sharing and posting.
It is a big help, in my decision making process.

I really appreciate you all,

Rachel

Latest posts