Any of you ever literally abandon your sticks 'n bricks home to go nomad?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CityWoman said:
This forum is a place to ask questions, is it not?  I don't believe there's a rule that we need to justify our questions with a purpose or reason for asking.
   If I offended you CW it was not intentional. For me understanding the motivation behind a question helps me to answer better, that is the reason for my question of you. Situations impact us all differently and move us to handle them differently.

Not a quick exit to nomad life, but many years ago I was renting a house from a crazy older lady. She was throwing my kids toys in the garbage and a burn pile across the fence and entering my home during the day when I was at work. She literally married the man next door after both of their spouses passed away. I did not give her notice because I was afraid of the level of crazy for the next month if she knew ahead of time. A friend and my dad helped me move all in one day. My rent was paid up. She came over and got ugly about it but once I told her she could keep the deposit (I never expected it back because I didn't give notice), she was happy enough.

owl said:
If I offended you CW it was not intentional.

No worries! I did not take offense at all; nor was my response, which you quoted, directed at you.

I must have read this wrong because I thought it was about us posters leaving in a hurry and not tenants we rented to.

rokguy said:
. . . I thought it was about us posters leaving in a hurry and not tenants we rented to.

No, you've got that right. I wanted to know if anyone became a nomad after having to abandon their home and belongings in order to get out quick, or knew someone who needed to. But owl offered their perspective as a landlord, which is fine. I'm still interested in hearing from people who may want to share their experience with something like that.

Leaving a house vs. an apartment might have vastly different consequences, such as hassles when you go to reregister a vehicle in the same state you left. I'd recommend changing state of residence, banks, credit cards, etc. to go with an abandonment thing.

I have more experience than I'm willing to discuss, but it did not involve any of the above items, which I could see as past ties that lead to future problems.