Any of you ever literally abandon your sticks 'n bricks home to go nomad?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityWoman

Reaction score
When I say "literally abandon," I mean leaving some stuff behind and hightailing it outta your house, apartment, or roommate situation on the sly to get out in a hurry.  Possibly even with rent or mortgage payments overdue or certain obligations not met? Just wondering if anyone had that sort of thing to deal with and how you handled it, both practically and emotionally.

CityWoman said:
Just wondering if anyone had that sort of thing to deal with and how you handled it, both practically and emotionally.

Forgot to also say: feel free to PM me privately if you'd rather not post about your situation publicly.

Yes. I had most my obligations met. I bailed on my lease early. Let the landlord keep the deposit. I got a regular conversion van and I remember my first night was -2 and all I had was a sleeping bag. That was 3-4 years ago and I never looked back.

No. I always pay my bills, and give my housemates enough face time and good vibes so they want me to move back in if I need to. (Winter's nasty here).     ~crofter

I wouldn't recommend anyone run from their financial problems. Emotional or mental problems are sometimes easier to solve on the road. Physical threats most definitely run from those! In most states there are laws and means such as bankruptcy to deal with money problems. There are several people that can advise you either lawyers, church organizations or social service workers. Financial problems have a way of hurting you later on, maybe after you finally get a chance at a good job but a background check causes you not to get it due to unresolved debts or you get the job only to have your wages garnished. There are several seasonal jobs that furnish housing that would allow you to start fresh and start to slowly pay off debts while saving a little so that you can get a vehicle. If you have a vehicle that is paid for you most likely will be able to keep it. Once you have a vehicle you may be able to save more by living in it. Improving your abilities and gaining skills and contacts to save or earn more money is most important until you can form a plan that works to get you to a point you can survive on the road. That usually takes time and planning. Running away usually means more problems to deal with that you are not prepared for.

To clarify:

I'm not asking for advice nor criticism of the kind of scenario I described.  I'm looking for the experiences of people who have done it or know someone who did. That is all. So, if abandoning your home wasn't part of your path to nomadship, or if there isn't someone you know whom you observed going through it, please refrain from responding. Thanks.

To clarify I could not afford the upkeep on the house we had. I was only able to hold on to it long enough to sell it by going bankrupt. By selling the house and everything I had I was able to buy a motorhome. It was a very emotional and difficult time. I considered avoiding this difficult process by selling what I could and taking off immediately and leaving all debts behind but I didn't because it would have illegal and have consequences which would have overcome me mentally and emotionally. Even though I didn't there are still hard feelings among friends and family when I go back there. So in my case even though I did the best I could and satisfied all my legal obligations I still face a lot of criticism but in the end with support of information, knowledge and opinions I found in this forum and the sources I listed in my last post I was able to turn things around and have a wonderful life. Running for me would have most likely meant I wouldn't have the job I have now or the great life I'm living and that is a direct result of how I handled it both emotionally and physically. This is how I dealt with the situation you describe. I don't believe this forum encourages illegal activity. I understand everyone's situation is different but in my experience there is help if you just ask the right people, at least that is the way it worked for me.

bullfrog said:
I considered avoiding this difficult process by selling what I could and taking off immediately and leaving all debts behind but I didn't because it would have illegal and have consequences which would have overcome me mentally and emotionally.  . . . I don't believe this forum encourages illegal activity.

It's not illegal not to pay one's bills. Or we'd still have debtors' prisons. Perhaps it's more of a violation of contract law, since there is generally an agreement (a contract) between creditor and debtor. And the creditor can pursue the debt in civil court, not criminal court.

I am glad that things did turn around for you!

Sorry I should have been clear. There were many illegal methods that were suggested to me by others I chose not to do. Many people in the situation you describe will most likely be presented with them. Yes it was a great relief to get away from those people that made bad suggestions and even better a few years down the road when I was able to fully meet my obligations, again having a forum to go to that only permits positive helpful information and solutions without negative criticism was life saving. Thank you to those that post.

Not on the sly, but I sold my "fixer-upper" in a short sale to a house flipper and the deal included all the crap I didn't sell or give away.
I didn't keep anything I couldn't carry and it's absolutely wonderful.
I could have put more time into selling and gotten a few more dollars, but it wouldn't have been worth it. Time is more valuable than money. Freedom is addictive.

is it a full moon or something, I have already deleted a bunch of post today now I got to delete more. can't we just answer the question without being judgmental. come on people. highdesertranger

P.S. I just checked and the full moon is next Friday, Friday the 13th.

Probably the closest I got to doing this was when moving onto my 1st unfinished boat, weeks earlier than was planned.
 I had a verbal agreement renting a house and just told the owner I had enough and was out 2 days later. I managed to give away all my furniture and stuff to the local community.

To answer the op's question I have had first hand experience, multiple times, with people running out in the middle of the night on rent. I had rental homes and a small apartment building that even with extensive background checks, regular walk thrus and regular calls from me people would abscond. I was never harsh with tenants but I was firm. I never had a property damaged by a tenant on purpose. Skips were part of the landscape. Two to one it was women who would skip more often than not. They would take everything they could carry and go, men would leave everything. Most of the time you never knew the real reason, though it was usually financial. Sometimes family or spouse. I wonder op, what is the purpose of your question ?

Now I been living this life for 3 years I think about getting an apartment or property and it seems like such a daunting task.

Unless I become wealthy and have money to burn I don't see just giving up this lifestyle. Too much freedom. To much ...whats the opposite of stress?

Owl, agree what the purpose of the question was really all about?
for all those who do wrong, someone else gets hurt so....

RoamerRV428 said:
Owl, agree what the purpose of the question was really all about?
for all those who do wrong, someone else gets hurt so....

This forum is a place to ask questions, is it not? I don't believe there's a rule that we need to justify our questions with a purpose or reason for asking.

Giuseppe Hardblast said:
Now I been living this life for 3 years . . . Unless I become wealthy and have money to burn I don't see just giving up this lifestyle. Too much freedom. To much ...whats the opposite of stress?

Ease? Relaxation? It's good to hear from people for whom nomadship worked out and became enjoyable, especially if there was some stress, conflict, or urgency surrounding initially getting on the road.

Yep I have along with left a woman of 5 years dragging me down mentally, physically and financially when I did it with a unfinished camper of bare bones torn apart in middle of the winter. No solar, two 6 volt batteries and generator for electricity, no running water, portable toilet for toilet, Mr. Heater for heat, all my tools and my car.

No you don't have to justify anything to any reader of your post, but it sure is a nice bonus to have a complete and understandable post and not leave people hanging about a reason that could be implied in the post. Everyone will start to just guess at that point and then you get more open ended wondering replies. Ones you've gotten and didn't want.

Owl asked a good question to you and I seconded it :)